Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with camera warnings in France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with camera warnings in France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Problems with camera warnings in France Reply with quote

Hi all,

It seems that my 730 has problems with giving audible speed camera warnings in France. As soon as I go over the border into another country it seems fine.
Sometimes it does provide an audible warning, mostly not. The camera map icon does get displayed, even when an audible warning is not given. When there is no audible warning, there is no distance/speed icon in the top left hand corner either.
So far I have tried re-installing maps, re-installing the TomTom program, deleting mapsettings.cfg, clearing cache and various hard resets.

Anyone any idea what might be causing this problem in France?
nmbenson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this to do with it being illegal in France to give warnings about speed cameras?
I have it in mind that there have been some TomTom updates to remove French speed cameras and the PGPSW downloads no longer include French cameras
I was in Frnance last week and didn't receive any warnings - as I expected would be the case
Martin
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbenson wrote:
the PGPSW downloads no longer include French cameras
By default you are right (no Swiss cams either) but you can opt to have either or both with check boxes on the download page
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cloggienl... are we talking about PGPSW's camera warnings or TomTom's own?

As we all know TT's own system has replaced the French cameras with these "danger zones".

There have now been a few posts about PGPSW warnings now being problematic in France and I'm definitely beginning to think there is an issue with the whole Danger Zones system affecting the "warn when near" function for third-party POIs.

If ANYONE is experiencing this, it would be really good if you could post here so we can gather evidence and see if we can get a handle on the problem.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that pgpsw cameras are still in the database - I had warnings whilst running it in background over the last fortnight. Not a useful post regarding them working on TT devices, but at least confirmation that they are there (plus a few more that I reported Laughing ).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the TomTom cameras installed, it is the PGPS warnings that are not giving a warning.
Yesterday, I drove from Stuttgart in Germany to Burgundy in France. In Germany the camera warnings worked as intended. When driving into France, a warning was given for the first camera near Mulhouse, after that nothing. The icons for the cameras on the map were displayed, but no warning given.
I wonder if TomTom has something included in their software that prevents warnings close to camera sites, even though I haven't installed TT cameras?
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just compared an old TT map file with both 890 and 895. The new ones have a file called borders.dat . Anyone know what this file is supposed to do?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloggienl wrote:
When driving into France, a warning was given for the first camera near Mulhouse, after that nothing. The icons for the cameras on the map were displayed, but no warning given.
I wonder if TomTom has something included in their software that prevents warnings close to camera sites, even though I haven't installed TT cameras?

That's what we're starting to think... Maybe when TomTom did whatever they did to make the French cameras work as dangerous zones they inadvertently made it so the 'warn when near' stops working properly.

I'm guessing that the borders.dat is a file that tells the TomTom the French borders as an easy way to pick up if you are in France or not? How about you try deleting it (or copy to PC or rename...) and dive through France - see if the warn when near stuff works again? Perhaps it's that that is interfering?

MaFt
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just run a route demo for a route in France as this will bring up warnings if they exist?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, pretty certain you can test POI alerts using a demo route.

MaFt
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
cloggienl wrote:
When driving into France, a warning was given for the first camera near Mulhouse, after that nothing. The icons for the cameras on the map were displayed, but no warning given.

That's what we're starting to think... Maybe when TomTom did whatever they did to make the French cameras work as dangerous zones they inadvertently made it so the 'warn when near' stops working properly.

I'm guessing that the borders.dat is a file that tells the TomTom the French borders as an easy way to pick up if you are in France or not? How about you try deleting it (or copy to PC or rename...) and dive through France - see if the warn when near stuff works again? Perhaps it's that that is interfering?

MaFt

I'll give it a go. I will delete the border.dat file and should be in an area of France with cameras later this week. Unfortunately, there are no cameras in the area of Burgundy where I live..
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't like the borders.dat file being removed. It reboots continually after removal...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'm definitely beginning to think there is an issue with the whole Danger Zones system affecting the "warn when near" function for third-party POIs.

MaFt wrote:
cloggienl wrote:

This is exactly what happened when TT introduced their "Fuel Prices" LIVE Service. It used a completely different set of POIs for the places where they had the price data, but they were installed alongside their "standard" Petrol Station POIs.

In order to stop TWO of their own POI icons appearing (usually in different places as the data was so crap!) they came up with a "fudge" where the Fuel Price POIs would STOP the other Petrol Station icon showing on screen if it was within a certain radius.

Unfortunately, this also affected third-party POIs too!
So if you had the PGPSW petrol stations POIs installed, the TomTom sneaking stopped them showing wherever they had one of their own "special" Fuel Price stations logged.

I bet they have done something similar here, whether intentionally or by accident.

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you can simply create an empty borders.dat file? Open up Notepad, leave it empty and save as borders.dat (make sure to select 'file type: all files' otherwise you might end up with a file called borders.dat.txt!)

It might not work but then again it depends how the TomTom software is checking. If it simply checks for the presence of a 'borders.dat' file then it might, but if it checks for valid contents inside that file then it might not..

Does't hurt to try and, given what Andy_P said above about the fuel, I think this may be the underlying issue that a few users have seen.

MaFt
cloggienl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
I wonder if you can simply create an empty borders.dat file? Open up Notepad, leave it empty and save as borders.dat (make sure to select 'file type: all files' otherwise you might end up with a file called borders.dat.txt!)

It might not work but then again it depends how the TomTom software is checking. If it simply checks for the presence of a 'borders.dat' file then it might, but if it checks for valid contents inside that file then it might not..

Does't hurt to try and, given what Andy_P said above about the fuel, I think this may be the underlying issue that a few users have seen.

MaFt

Doesn't like that either, goes into continuous start-up loop.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: