Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 950 Go Live exceptionally long over the air downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

950 Go Live exceptionally long over the air downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: 950 Go Live exceptionally long over the air downloads Reply with quote

During a recent drive back from Sweden my 950 Go Live worked very well except when approaching the German boarder (7th Sept) when it entered into an exceptionally long over the air download which prevented use of the navigation screen. Overnight in a hotel the download completed (approx 6hrs) after which the TomTom device functioned well.

On returning home to the UK yesterday I updated to the latest version of TomTom Home on my PC (seemed to go OK) , downloaded the new Aug/Sept Maps to the Tom Tom 950 (again this seems to have gone OK). When I switched on my TomTom 950 it again went into an over the air dowload which is still running some 17 hrs later. The device shows the TomTom legend and "hands round the world" loggo and every few minuites shows the download progression bar) but the device does not respond to the on/off button etc.

Yes, I know, I can always switch it off by disconnecting the device and let the battery run down, but past experience shows that on reconnecting and restarting it only continues the download.

Any advice as to whether this is normal, or to what might be causing it or is being downloaded would be welcome. ( I dont use map share)

Regards

DaveJH
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misdiagnosed this one.

The problem is that the TomTom keeps resetting and failing to boot up into a usable mode. I can perform a drum-roll restart by pressing the on-off button for a long time, but I can not switch the device off.

It appears that other Go Live 950 users have endless reboot problems following recend over the air updates or new map installs.

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/GO-x00-x10-x20-x30-x40-x50-HOME/Go-950-keeps-rebooting/td-p/139815

I have tried reloading the Applivcation as per "Navigation device frozen or restarting" but the device still fails to start and goes into a contiuous reboot cycle.

us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9091

The device can be operated in a limited way under TomTom Home (such as setting routes) , but the factory retsart is greyed out and can not be used.

Fortunately, at the begining of August 2012 I did a full windows backup, but am unsure how to reformat (or what to reformat - the internal memory or both the internal and external memory) and I am unsure how to reinstall in a manner that ensures that the download and maps etc are accepted.

Any advice would be welcome.

Regards

DaveJH.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes constant reboot issues can be resolved by operating the device in TT Home and adding a Favourite.

May not work in this situation, but worth a try.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita

I have just tried adding a favourite inder Home - unfortunately it did not do the trick and the device is back to constant restarts/reboots.

DaveJH
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a factory reset and running clearflash.exe 3 times?
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justbrowsing

Thanks for the sugestion.

Its not clear to me how I can do a factory reset on my 950 GO Live, it is greyed out (not available) in Home so I can not do it from there.

I can do a drum roll reset to temporarily stop the rebooting which I do before connecting to Home.

If I run clearflash three times presumably that clears completely the internal memory. Is this equivqalent to formatting?

Do I then restore my backup, or connect to Home and hope that Home will update the device and relaod the app and maps etc?

Should clearflash should be executed.with my external SD card (which holds the america map etc) removed.

DaveJH
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DJHold, The factory reset icon is on the TT and normally on the last or penultimate page of the Settings menu.

As the name implies, it shall delete most/all of the data you have put onto your TT, so please make a WindowsExplorer back up first, you should then be able to copy back your data if needed.

Here is a link to a previous discussion about the Clear flash tool (which only flashes the RAM, i think) and the Factory Reset with a further link from Andy_P half way down.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=493633

EDIT - I would keep the SD card in, I don't think that it makes any difference but it won't do any harm either.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols

TT device's own factory reset not available as it never gets beyond loopping through the initial logo and update progess strip - certainly never as far as the navigation page, and the factory reset in Home is greyed out.

Thanks for the links to flash clear etc. Will get round to them when the sun goes in and will report back.

Dave JH
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you could try the 20+ second hard reset on the power button till you get the drum roll then release
DJHold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols, justbrowsing, Anita

Thanks for your advice and apologies for not getting back to you earlier.
Searches here and elsewhere made me realise that my 950GO LIVE was certailny not the only one suffering from being locked in the start up loop following the recent update/maps and that TomTom had probably generated a genric solution.

Sandra M. at TomTom provided the following solution to preserve the new maps etc and get the device going again - it required Steps 1-4 plus the additional "delete the Stadata Folder" Step to get my 950 working again. (My 950 rebuilt the Statdata folder on its own).

My advice to anyone with this problem is to it contact TomTom, get a fault case number, and follow TomTom's advice/steps so that if anything goes wrong then TomTom will be prepared to help with remedial action such as re-releasing map updates etc.

However, just for info, here is Sandra M's procedure that worked for me.

STEP 1 - BACKING UP YOUR TOMTOM DEVICE

- Connect the device to the computer and open TomTom HOME
- Click ‘Manage my device’ in TomTom HOME and select the ‘Items on device’ tab
- Select ‘Maps’ and ‘Postcodes’
- Click ‘Copy items to computer’

STEP 2 - Delete the Application from device

- Connect the device to the computer and open TomTom HOME
- Go to Manage My Device
- Click 'Items on my device'
- Select the 'Application' and click 'Remove items from device'

STEP 3 - Delete the Applications from the computer

- Go to Manage My Device
- Click 'Items on computer'
- Select the 'Applications' (there may be more than one)
- Click 'Remove items from computer'

STEP 4 - Re-download the Application

- Go to Update My Device
- Select the 'Application' (it may be pre-selected)
- Click on Update and install
- Repeat this process until no more applications are offered.

Once the installation is complete, disconnect the device and check whether the device is now working fine.

If the issue still persists, please follow the below mentioned steps and remove the statdata folder from the device.

- Connect your device to computer
- Open My Computer
- Open Internal TomTom Drive
- Locate Statdata Folder and delete it.

Regards

DaveJH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: