Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I just bought a Ipaq 5550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I just bought a Ipaq 5550

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Racerke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: I just bought a Ipaq 5550 Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new and wondering arround in a whole new world... who can help me? I just bought an HP Ipaq 5550 with Alturion BT software.

Here are some of the main questions I've got:

- where can I buy, a decent, holder for it wich I can click into my radiator fans in the car?

- The sound is terrible, how can I inprove this (instead of these dreadfull walkman-ears to hear the voice saying "turn left" ...)

- Where can I find an Azerty instead of a Qwerty (standard) typing machine?

- Is Alturion the best or did I had to buy TomTom?

- How can I get information on my Alturion device of the speed traps on the road?

- How can I mark places in my GPS to mark places of intrest where the police stands a lot.

- Is it normal that if I don't shut down Alturion when I turn of the Ipaq that the next time I want to restart it the power button doesn't work, so that I've got to do a "soft reboot'.

- How can I play "mpeg" clips on my Ipaq?

- Yesterday my Ipaq fell without power while driving (in Alturion). When I started today it seems that the shortcut in the menu is "broken", no logo next to it. However, when I go to the software in the program files then it works. Can I rejustify the shortcut or do have to deinstall and install the software again?

- There is a connection on it from a newssite... but can I find european or British info also?

- Can I use it as a remote for tv, video, etc... ?

- The software doesn't synchronises with my mail and calendar. I've been told that it's due to the fact that I've got Outlook Express 6.0 on my desktop and that the Ipaq only works with normal outlook. Do I really have to throw the Express software away and install the normal Outlook?

Hope you all can help me a bit... Embarassed

Greetzzz

Racerke
Q-Racerke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Sorry for all the questions but if somebody can help me with one I would be more than greatfull... .
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Racerke wrote:

- where can I buy, a decent, holder for it wich I can click into my radiator fans in the car?

Search your favourite search engine for ipaq 5555 powered mount. This should turn up a few results for you/

Q-Racerke wrote:

- The sound is terrible, how can I inprove this (instead of these dreadfull walkman-ears to hear the voice saying "turn left" ...)

See above. A powered mount is designed to solve both of these problems.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- Where can I find an Azerty instead of a Qwerty (standard) typing machine?

Sorry, I can’t help you with this one.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- Is Alturion the best or did I had to buy TomTom?

This one is down to personal choice. Tomtom is the most popular, I believe; personally I use Navman.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- How can I get information on my Alturion device of the speed traps on the road?

I can’t help you here, either. There are add-ons which can be used with Tomtom for this, but I don’t know anything about Alturion.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- How can I mark places in my GPS to mark places of intrest where the police stands a lot.

See the previous answer.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- Is it normal that if I don't shut down Alturion when I turn of the Ipaq that the next time I want to restart it the power button doesn't work, so that I've got to do a "soft reboot'.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- How can I play "mpeg" clips on my Ipaq?

Click here for a free mpeg viewer for the pocket pc. Again, there are others about, so try searching.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- Yesterday my Ipaq fell without power while driving (in Alturion). When I started today it seems that the shortcut in the menu is "broken", no logo next to it. However, when I go to the software in the program files then it works. Can I rejustify the shortcut or do have to deinstall and install the software again?

- There is a connection on it from a newssite... but can I find european or British info also?

Sorry, can’t help with these.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- Can I use it as a remote for tv, video, etc... ?

There may be some third party software out there, but HP reduced the power of the IR, so you have to be quite close to the device to operate it.

Q-Racerke wrote:

- The software doesn't synchronises with my mail and calendar. I've been told that it's due to the fact that I've got Outlook Express 6.0 on my desktop and that the Ipaq only works with normal outlook. Do I really have to throw the Express software away and install the normal Outlook?

Sorry, I think you’re stuck with Outlook but I could be wrong.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try to clear up a few further points.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the layout of the standard keyboard changes according to the language version of Pocket PC installed. Unfortunately, this is something fixed at the time of purchase. Personally, I'd install Fitaly - I find it infinitely superior to the built in Keyboard. I would suggest giving Fitaly a try.

However, if you can't get on with Fitaly (I would recommend persevering - I'm probably 25-30wpm on Fitaly), I believe there's at least one programmable keyboard commercially available, which would allow you to use an AZERTY layout. Go to Handango, select Pocket PC and search for keyboard.

There is a synchronisation plug-in for Outlook Express available, but it's commercial software. I believe your best option is to install Outlook and use that - Outlook 2002 (which is almost certainly the version you got with your 5550) is much more powerful than Outlook Express 6.0. Further, I believe Microsoft have indicated they are not intending to do any more development on Outlook Express.

There's no calendar or similar in Outlook Express - just mail. I believe it's possible to import Outlook Express mail into Outlook, though this is beyond my experience, as I don't really use either of Outlook Express or Outlook for mail.

The commercial Outlook Express synchronisation plug-in is here. It's quite limited, really - just address book and Inbox synchronisation.

I tend not to use any Inbox synchronisation with my Pocket PC - but my hosting provider has IMAP mailboxes available.

Consumer IR was dropped from the 5550 (it was in the 5450 and 3970). Speaking as a 3970 user, I find the Nevo software that goes along with the consumer IR hardware is so clumsy that I hardly use it. The only remote I have for my Dell 4100MP video projector is the RF one (I believe the projector supports IR, but I don't have an IR remote to capture the settings) - and that's about the only thing for which Nevo would be truly useful.

There are IR remote programs that use the IrDA hardware on machines that lack CIR hardware, but the range is usually abysmal.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: