Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update maps on Go300 or what new sat nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update maps on Go300 or what new sat nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimate
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Update maps on Go300 or what new sat nav? Reply with quote

Hi

I have had a TT GO300 since they came out and never updated it, I use it occasionally and have the PGPSW safety cams on it.
It is now obviously several years out of date and causes afew problems when routing on old maps, also with an imminent trip in europe i am looking to either update it or buy a new unit.

Map update looks to be about £50. I am very out of touch with the current line up of sat navs. They seem to have come down in price alot so wondering if it is worth just buying a new unit.

I would like to be able to use the PGPSW data on it, are there any TT that don't enable this?
Also would like the advanced lane guidance, handsfree phone would be handy too.

Can anyone recommend a TT that is reasonably future proof? Would rather get a high unit maybe 2nd hand rather than a base model for the same money.
I have read reports of not being able to update the new 1000 models and NAV3 models yourself however not sure what the disadvantage of this is, can you not use PGPSW data? What's the latest unit that doesn't have this disadvantage?

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports of not being able to update the new NAV3 models are now out of date.

You can certainly add the PGPSW camera data and any other POIs to them.

The ones to avoid are the low-end models (often with a small "2" in the model name) which have a "simplified" menu structure. Out of the box, those can be missing the proximity warning system for POIs.

The new models are pretty god now, but are still missing some features we were used to on the older models, such as Bluetooth and Itinerary Planning, and they have a reduced search radius when you are looking for POIs etc.

If you want to stick to a traditional model, you can often still get Go x50s and XLs and XXLs from TT's website "outlet store".
The XL LIVE IQ is a very capable device, but lacks the SD card slot for expansion. The Go750 is great.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The new models are pretty god now, ...
Is that the ultimate recommendation? Cool

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a lot better than the recommendation that used to be bandied about when nav 3 first came out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: