Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT GO 750 live refurb - good buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT GO 750 live refurb - good buy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: TT GO 750 live refurb - good buy? Reply with quote

I have an old TT1 and I'm tempted to defect to Garmin (3590LMT) big attraction is lifetime maps. What I'd like to improve over my current TT1 is: some (reliable, good) traffic info; lane guidance: text to speech; improved speed of operation. Vital of course is ability to sue PGPSW speed cams and POIs.

Having read about the problems of what's missing with latest TT devices (I'd really hate to lose itineraries), the problems of My TomTom (as opposed to TT Home) and the general unreliability (manager of local halfords pretty much said not to buy one because of the number he's had back) I'm very wary about buying a new TT device.

So.....I'm thinking of a TT GO 750 live refurb from TT outlet at £140. I'm aware that I'll have to update the map because refurb units don't have latest map guarantee, but the map subscription's about to run out on my TT1 anyway so I can factor in that cost.

Any views on this would be hugely appreciated - is it a sensible choice? Thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Traffic. HD Live Traffic is terrific - when it works. There are "issues" over connectivity - some people find it sometimes won't connect easily. There are "issues" over coverage - the horizon it sees has been reduced to a level which somepeople find intolerable. I suggest an evening of the Search button for both these issues.

2. Lane guidance. Some like it, some think it's rubbish. I have mine permanently turned off so I belong to the second camp - I don't like it taking over the screen for ages approaching a junction, especially because the guidance is sometimes poor/inaccurate.

3. TTS Fine.

4. Improved speed of operation. I wonder where you got that idea? I continue to run a GO520 alongside my 550 because I hate waiting for the 550 to draw and/or refresh the screen.

5. Maps. That's a Europe map on the 750 and virtually as soon as yyuo switch it on, it will not have staorage space to download a full new version of the map - you MUST get a micro sd card for it, or suffer the splitting of the Euro map into sections.

6. The bigger screen is good. My favourite goodie is Google Search.

The refurb 750 comes with 12 months Live services, that's 1/3 the price you're paying and a bargain.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
2. Lane guidance. Some like it, some think it's rubbish. I have mine permanently turned off so I belong to the second camp - I don't like it taking over the screen for ages approaching a junction

But you only have to touch the screen to make it go away. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DennisN and Anita - I've already factored in the cost of a microSDHC card and when I spoke to TT this pm (quiet afternoon, everyone at work or watching Olympics hence I managed to connect!) I was warned that the new map wouldn't fit in the 2 Gb memory.

Yes, I've searched and read about HD traffic and tried (on the Garmin forum) without success to get views regarding HD traffic v Garmin 3D (free) and 3D Live, so I'm no clearer as to how they compare in quality.

At the moment I'm still erring towards the Garmin because of bigger screen and lifetime map update but other comments make me worry about quality of Garmin routes (surely just about THE most important aspect of SatNav?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
DennisN wrote:
2. Lane guidance. Some like it, some think it's rubbish. I have mine permanently turned off so I belong to the second camp - I don't like it taking over the screen for ages approaching a junction

But you only have to touch the screen to make it go away. Confused

Hmm - the 520 and 550 are both too far away to reach and I don't think that tip works with the Carminat (remote control, not touchscreen). Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gazza70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want the 550 refurb from tomtom enter code UK20TT you will get it for £95.99* inc. P&P
and if you want the 750 and enter code Welcome123b
you will get that unit for £131.99* inc. P&P
try looking at www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm
this will give you all the latest offers and codes
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gazza70 - much appreciated.

Just happened to be in a different Halfords today and talking to the manager (who seems to know a lot about PNDs) who informed me that:

(1) Since the start of the year, TT sales have decreased by more than 50%

(2) He sells about the same number of TT and Garmin devices

(3) He gets about 3-4 TT units returned as faulty every week (although admitted that some might be user error but most were genuinely U/S)

(4) He gets 1 Garmin device per month (if that) returned

His advice was to either buy a new Garmin device or an old (ie refurb) TT but to stay away from the current crop of TT units.

He had an interesting view on the Garmin routing (when I asked him if people complained that Garmin routing was often, er, non-optimum): he said that in lots of cases it was user error with options unknowingly turned on eg ecoroutes (especially with accidental settings for user-input mpg), shortest routes etc and that overall he'd had very few genuine issues/complaints with dodgy routing.

I still like the TT UI though.....!
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between the 550 and the 750? - how are they better than the likes of the Start 25 or Via 120?

I am looking for a new unit to replace my old Go 520 but am unsure which to go for....

Any advice which to go for on www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm ?

I want one with the latest map guarantee though to ensure I get the latest maps...

Thanks,

Ian
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NukeThemAll, I can't offer you the advice that you require because, as you can see from my sig, I'm a TomTom user firmly stuck on the last generation models. What I can do is reassure you that if you buy the Rerurb 750 you wont be disappointed. It has the same software and interface and routing that you are already comfortable with and, as DennisN says, the free Live services for a year. Even if you don't want it, it'll be fun to see what all the fuss is about!

You will be aware that there has been lots of debate on here about Old-v-New TT models. I can't remember many articles where I've read that "The new xxxxx is better than the Old xxxxxx. But I can remember several articles where members have been used to the yyyyyy feature that is no longer provided.

Get the 750 I say.

@ichilton, The 550 has UK & ROI maps, the 750 EU maps.
They are not better than the Start25 or Via 125, just different. They are older models and have some features which can no longer be found on the newer devices. A few of the main differences I can remember are that users are not impressed with the limited Itinerary function, lack of SD card slot, the new MyTomTom web interface, inability to make an independant back up or see the TT files via computer. I'm not even sure if you can get a new map loaded yet?

As you can see, they are not necessarily deal-breakers but just if you are a fiddler and a tweaker, annoyances. Equally, there are many users who like/love the new devices and wouldn't go back.
How long is a piece of string?

Sadly, Latest Map Guarantee is not available for TT refurb models. It only comes with a new device.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comet/ Curries for a NEW Go-750 Live for under £90, just looking at the till receipt for the one sat next to my PC and it was under £60 but that was with staff discount, I am in the middle of upadting it with a new map (under LMG)

Add a 4GB MicroSD card class 6 (of better) and you won't beat the 750 Live - Mike
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is that only in store? - I can't see those on any of the sites?

Is that going to be similar software to my old Go 520 rather than the newer ones on the Start and VIA devices?

Thanks,

Ian
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies - as usual, much appreciated. Had a play with a Garmin in my local John Lewis this morning and I'm now pretty sure I'll go for the TT 750.

Mike, that's a stunning price you quoted for a new unit - I'll see if I can track one down!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the (my) Garmin routing issues, perhaps it's all in the way you use your unit, or perhaps people don't know what to expect

For a lot of people, they have no unit to compare it to

For others, they only use the sat nav to guide them the final bit of the way

I like mine to pick a sensible route, even if I know the way to the locality, but not the location. For me Garmin fails on this, leading me up back roads, dangerous lanes, etc. when there were good roads available

The Garmins do impress with the "value" (built in LTM, Audible, and build quality plus nice screen quality and resolution)... but is this "value" because they have to? My experience is inexperienced GPS users will be happy with most units, and especially a Garmin because of its very simple switch on and use ability, but people who rely on driving as part of the living rely on TT, particularly with HD Traffic

Perhaps this answers our questions?

If you can get any TT unit with HD Traffic + LMG for under £100 then I think you will be very happy...
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst playing with a Garmin PND today I tried a route: from Andover to RHS Wisley (which is off the A3 just W of M25 Jn10). I forced the route to choose the A3 round Guildford; the Garmin used the M3 as far as Jn 5 and then used the A287. A TT unit I tried (and my old TT1) uses M3 to Jn 4 and the fast A331. The TT route is, I know from personal experience, much the better route in terms of real-life speed, since the Garmin route has many, many roundabouts and traffic light junctions. At 'busy' times this route would (I believe) be much inferior. And yes, I did check the Garmin settings!

Google maps thinks that the Garmin route is 2 mins slower.

The Garmin route is probably totally acceptable and gets you there OK, nicely illustrating xtraseller's points which are well-argued: if you didn't know better you wouldn't complain......

Playing with the new TT units on display, totally, absolutely, convinced me that crippling some of the alternative route and itinerary functions was a Very Bad Thing to do.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....managed to track down a 750 at one of the local Comet branches. Currys have no stock at all in the entire SE and adjacent regions (guy showed me his stock check screen) so if anyone else wants one, suggest try Comet and if necessary get them to check other branches for stock - I got the last one. Price is pretty good at £82.49.

Before I connect it to TT Home I'll need to order a microSDHC card - about £6 for a 8 Gb Class 10 card from Amazon looks like it will do. And yes, I'm aware that it's a Very Good Idea to start a new TT account with a different e-mail address for the new unit (yet another thing I learned from these forums).

So, great advice about the price/vendor for this - huge thanks MikeAlder Thumbs Up

I'll let you all know how I get on.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: