Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - my nulink 2390 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

my nulink 2390 review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: my nulink 2390 review Reply with quote

after having my 2390 now for a few weeks I went to scotland last week and put the device to the test.

Camera Alerts
i installed the latest PGPSW database before going and used camera manager to create everything how i wanted.

there were a couple of issues with speed cameras giving incorrect advice (but most were warned about - just the odd few not displaying any camera icons) - the one's i've remembered i've submitted to the database.

Other than this the camera audio notifications worked brilliantly.

Trip Routing
in regards to the trip/routing this was far better than my tomtom via live 120 both on the way to scotland and the way back. TomTom always wanted to take me down the A roads instead of the motorways and even when on the motorway it kept telling me to come off next exit and go back the opposite way just to take me down this particular A-road even though this added an 30-40 miles on my journey.

The 2390 realised I wanted to go via motorway and recalculated the route correctly instead of telling me to go back so many junctions and take the route it first gave.

In Scotland it made 2 mistakes on the routing.

1st was down Queen's Way when it told me to take the parking area as the main road (my TomTom also done this)

2nd was when I had to go to Dumfries hospital. Coming from Newton Stewart it wanted to send me via Castle Douglas (actually through CD) - not sure if this was a mistake on my part as when I told it to redo the route as 'new' it done it correctly.

Other than this for routing it performed brilliantly and got me to everywhere we wanted to go without any problems.

Mapping
We went on 2 forest drives 'Carrick Forest Drive' and 'Raiders Road Forest Drive' and on both of these the maps did not include these routes, yet they were on my TomTom device last year.

This caused problems when heading towards 'Castle Doon' as it wanted us to go back to main road and go round. As we neared the castle and got back on the road it knew and automatically re-routed correctly.

I know not all maps have these forest drives on, but if they are there as a useable route then I can't see why they aren't added, especially as they were on the TomTom.

Google and Satellite
Google search and Satellite both failed only once and only when I was driving but messing about with the various options on the device, so this could have been my fault.

I had an issue with the audio a couple of times but going back to volume and changing it, resolved this.

Traffic
This was brilliant and though not like the TomTom it was good to see that it told you the type of traffic issue (ie Construction, Slow Traffic, etc, etc) along the top of the device.

Other
Receiving routes from Google maps also worked a treat and the locations were placed as favourites within the device, which made it easy to navigate to.

I also tried a route using longitude/latitude settings and this worked perfectly getting to our destination without any problems.

Lake District
From Scotland I went to the Lake District as we like the place and got married there. Headed towards Hawkshead and the 2390 took us off the correct motorway junction and got us straight to the carpark we wanted to be at.

On leaving Hawkshead we decided we wanted to go across the ferry and upto Windermere and the 2390 informed us to board the ferry and displayed a ferry icon for the route while we were on it, something the TomTom never done.

Overall after coming from the Via Live 120 with some many issues in the 18 months I had it, I'm happy to say that so far the nulink 2390 has performed extremely well and has surpassed my expectations.

Display
It takes time to get used to it and at first thought not a pretty layout like the TomTom, but thought it actually does what it needs to do - display the route, travelling times, speeds and traffic. And after a while you get used to it.

The screenshot feature is useful as it helped me take some screenshots of camera information so i could submit them when i got back home.

The only problem with the button for this is if you need to do a search and enter something wrong it's in the place of the backspace button.

Voice
I only gave a couple of commands on the voice control just to see what it was like and I will say that this was far superior to the voice on the TomTom. There was none of this repeating myself and another good thing was it also displayed some of the voice options so you could select by pressing button.

Eco Challenge
This is quite a good feature of the unit as long as you remember to update fuel prices when you top-up. At the end of the journey it tells you how far travelled and how much fuel it's used and the cost. Remember this is only an estimate based on information you manually enter, but it's actually quite good to see how much you are using on a particular journey.

Overall
I know a lot of people slate Garmin and the routing, but so far I've not had any major issues than the issue with the routing above as 99.99% of the time is has taken me where I wanted to go correctly...

I only hope I don't end up having similar issues to the TomTom which caused me to put my via live 120 in the bottom of the cupboard.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: my nulink 2390 review Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:

there were a couple of issues with speed cameras giving incorrect advice (but most were warned about - just the odd few not displaying any camera icons).

I wonder if this is a similar issue to what's being discussed here?
I'd be very surprised if you found several cameras actually missing from the database.

walkerx wrote:

in regards to the trip/routing this was far better than my tomtom via live 120 both on the way to scotland and the way back. TomTom always wanted to take me down the A roads instead of the motorways and even when on the motorway it kept telling me to come off next exit and go back the opposite way just to take me down this particular A-road even though this added an 30-40 miles on my journey.

I can't think of anything that would cause that behaviour on a TomTom, unless you had told it to avoid motorways or added a waypoint that you hadn't actually visited.

Any chance of some details of that specific route so we could try it on a TomTom?
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: my nulink 2390 review Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
walkerx wrote:

there were a couple of issues with speed cameras giving incorrect advice (but most were warned about - just the odd few not displaying any camera icons).

I wonder if this is a similar issue to what's being discussed here?
I'd be very surprised if you found several cameras actually missing from the database.

walkerx wrote:

I can't think of anything that would cause that behaviour on a TomTom, unless you had told it to avoid motorways or added a waypoint that you hadn't actually visited.

Any chance of some details of that specific route so we could try it on a TomTom?

Hi Andy_P,

I've been discussing this with PaulB2005 regarding the cameras - just had it again this morning along the A638 between M1-J40 and Owl Lane Roundabout. Alerted about the Mobile Speed Camera zone but only got the image displaying on the last mobile location.

The route I used was from M1-J35 to Low Wood Hotel (Windermere)

This route on the TomTom tries taking you through Leeds and up the A road to reach the M6 junction for the Lake District.

If you decide to go M1-J37 to M1-J42/M62-J29 then M62-J29 to M61 (I think J18) then onto M6 the TomTom would be telling me upto about M62-J25 to turn back and go through Leeds and up the A road.

The Garmin picked the same route, but when I went onto M62, it recalculated the route properly and didn't try sending me back along the M62 to go via Leeds and the A road.

I did have a lot of issues with the TomTom Live Services not working properly which were raised with TomTom and after 11 months the device stopped charging and was returned. They replaced it in January this year which was working find until they forced an update in April which then caused it to not function correctly and requiring a reset every couple of days.

I never had issues with my original XL and only started having problems when moved to the Live products, so not sure if because of the problems I was experiencing if this caused the other issues with routing, etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: