Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple choose TomTom to power iOS6 maps and navigation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple choose TomTom to power iOS6 maps and navigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Apple choose TomTom to power iOS6 maps and navigation Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Apple's 2012 World Wide Developer Conference kicked off in San Francisco last night with the opening keynote address.

Amongst the announcements was the first unveiling of iOS6 which was released to developers as a Beta late last night.

The most important new feature in the software, for PocketGPSWorld readers at least, was a new maps app. Apple have dropped Google as the map data provider and instead signed a global deal with TomTom.

Apple also demonstrated the new navigation features of iOS6 Maps, sadly available only on iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the latest iPad models, as well as a new 3D Flyover feature which shows some cities and landmarks in full colour 3D with topography.

We've only had time for the briefest of looks at the new software after a late night downloading and updating. Whilst the new navigation app is to be welcomed, it is an off-board solution and so requires a data connection to function.

The good news is that we might just get developer APIs that allow us to hook into the Maps app, great news for CamerAlert if that happens.

Source: Apple - iOS6 Preview

email icon

gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that route planning will disappear for 3GS users? I still have my old 3GS, and I can open up the Maps app and get it to plot me a basic route from A to B - if the move to Tomtom mapping/routing is going to mean that this facility is only available to users of the 4S and upwards, then it's a bit of a backward step.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear not, 3GS and 4 gets basic routing, much the same as is available now. 4S and iPad 2/3 get full guidance with voice.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this announcement interesting and raises alot of questions and uncertainty for both TomTom & Apple.

So will TomTom continue to develop their app for the iPhone, whats the future for PNA devices long term, very few new products announced.

Now for Apple, with the loss of Steve has Apple lost the plot... their last two announcements have been poor to say the least. Phone 4s the only real new feature was the beta version of Siri, then the 'New' iPad, yes a great new screen, thats it 4g will not work here in UK ever. Now iOS6 and new mapping features, I've used it and was very excited to see the 3D demos.... ahhh Apple were very careful picking the two cities that had this feature, never mind London will be in 3D.... no 3D for London. Yes its in beta and may change but the mapping data is poor in comparison to Google, zoom levels are just one area I have found, see this review.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5918176/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-a-side-by-side-comparison

The good news is that existing API calls still work, calls to the Google app now load a Safari page with a mobile version of Google Maps.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifted from a Daily Mail article about Apple Ping

Quote:
While Ping might not take on Facebook anymore, Apple has another target: Google Maps.

At this week's Developers Conference, the tech giant revealed that it is creating a 3D map of the world in direct competition with Google over online maps.

The computer giant today admitted to having a fleet of planes and helicopters which have been flying over major cities around the world.

It also plans to monitor iPhone owners when they drive to create live maps of traffic congestion.

Source = Last four paragraphs of http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2159131
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
So will TomTom continue to develop their app for the iPhone, whats the future for PNA devices long term, very few new products announced.

Of course nav app sales will continue. Witness Android as a prime example. They've had Google Nav for a long time but there continues to be a thriving app market. These bundled nav apps are off-board and lack many of the features desired by many.
Quote:
Now iOS6 and new mapping features, I've used it and was very excited to see the 3D demos.... ahhh Apple were very careful picking the two cities that had this feature, never mind London will be in 3D.... no 3D for London. Yes its in beta and may change but the mapping data is poor in comparison to Google

It's completely pointless to compare the apps at this stage. This is the very first beta release in a process that will take months. Let's compare the end result.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget they're only using mapping data from TomTom (read: 'TeleAtlas') - they are NOT using a TomTom app - big big difference here...!

MaFt
cyberhusky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with turn-by-turn apps here in Europe is that they are only free to use in the range of your provider area!
If you travel to another country horribly high charges are to pay!

Here in Luxembourg it's extremely bad as your mobile phone changes the provider as soon as you do come near the border.

I used my iPhone 3G in Venezia just to check 3 times my position. I used Data roaming for about 3-5 minutes! that did cost me 150 Euro!

Google Maps and Apple Maps are just nice gimmicks and nothing more! I do rely on true Nav apps like Navigon Navigator or TomTom.

Apple Maps App is all about advertising! For that they did need the TomTom Data! Though that still doesn't work for Europe!

At the WWDC only 2-3 cities were shown. Just check Luxembourg in Sat mode and your lost! No street no usable data.(yes to do have IOS 6 beta on my iPhone 4S, no jailbreak no UDID registration! it just worked after installation, very stable)
The maps and navigation do work even via voice control.

Apple told that SIRI can be used by other apps, I'm waiting for Navigon to integrate SIRI!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valid points there cyberhusky. I do think that Navigon will implement Siri very early on - they've always been super fast to make use of the new features in iOS and, indeed, were the first to bring out a proper navigation app.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: