Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 760T Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 760T Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I started my own thread about my 770T exactly same problem. I've cancelled that and jumped on here.

Was working fine yesterday on journey but on return it froze up while sitting in the mount hence I'm thinking not software? Boots as far as home screen but freezes thereafter. Removing from mount it reaches same point and I see battery indicating 75% but then it powers itself off after a few seconds. Powers on PC OK and can see all files. Ran error check on them OK. It has latest software. Garmin site says no longer servicable

Before I go do the hard reset thing you say you lose user data. I have no routes stored, only favourites. Are they in a file somewhere I can copy them off and reload after the reset?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to copy current.gpx from the GPX folder.

Once you've done the hard reset rename it to something like temp.gpx and copy it back to the GPX folder. Reboot your nuvi and your favourites will be back, then delete temp.gpx from the GPX folder Smile
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ssusamb. The reboot has recovered the freezing but I've not recovered the favs. I copied the temp.gpx back in (as is) & rebooted with no favs. I then copied the original un-renamed current.gpx straight into the directory choosing to replace the one there. After reboot, that didn't work either. Any thoughts?
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, update is after a couple more reboots the favs now appear. However, the file with the content is still named temp.gpx. The current.gpx I can see by file size is still minimal? Should I just rename the temp.gpx within that folder to current.gpx?
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from Croatia. During my 3000 mile trip I had to do a full hard reset about 6 times. Oddly, on each occasion I kept all my long standing favourites but did lose recently saved favourites, such as newly spotted cameras! I will report the behaviour to Garmin.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r21442 wrote:
OK, update is after a couple more reboots the favs now appear. However, the file with the content is still named temp.gpx. The current.gpx I can see by file size is still minimal? Should I just rename the temp.gpx within that folder to current.gpx?

Sorry, missed this earlier ... you need to delete temp.gx, otherwise any favourites you delete in future that were in temp.gpx will keep being reloaded when you boot. Current.gpx is a one way copy, and is simply an image of what is contained in inaccessible memory within your Garmin.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I sent a support request to Garmin. This morning I received the following:
Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
I would be happy to assist you. There has been a problem with the latest version of software that was released form the nuvi 760 we have seen from a few devices that it involves the device to freeze.
You will need to do the following on your device to reset the software to the older version by doing the following:
1. Connect device to computer
2. Click Start
3. Click Computer
4. Open the Garmin Drive
5. Delete the file called GUPDATE.GCD
6. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) the file attached to this email to the Garmin folder of the Garmin Drive.
7. Disconnect and power up the nuvi.
8. The device will ask a question - The software loaded to your device is older than your current software. Do you wish to continue? Touch Yes The device will reboot and you will see Loader loading on screen
9 Allow device to fully restart. When you see View Map process is complete.

The attached file was a zipped up version of GUPDATE.GCD for software 4.90. (about 4Mb)

I can send this to anyone who wishes to PM me or I can post it here if someone can tell me how.

The unit now seems normal and certainly boots faster. It still wants to load extras from SD card onto device every time I switch on!

Ron
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Webupdater tonight and it told me that there was an software upgrade available. Having downloaded it, I now have ver. 5.40.
Perhaps Garmin was released it to fix the bug in 5.30? Confused
jonathanp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my problems kept getting worse and worse and were the same as the first post as I had posted earlier. I have tried multiple resets , sometimes it deleted all my data sometimes not. I have reinstalled the maps twice , always the latest version aswell as the software.

My 760 stiil kept having the car icon drift off the road and it displayed much worse position accuracy when compared to my 765 which I have used right next to it.

Last night I downloaded and installed sioftware version 5.40 and again a fresh install of the maps UK 2013.1.

My wife used it to day and she said it was much better. I will check it myself but perhaps the new software ver 5.40 has worked ?

Regards
Jonathan
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: 760T now stable? Reply with quote

I have also loaded software version 5.40 and it seems to have cured the problem; two return journeys, Nuneaton to Plymouth and no problems
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have updated to v 5.40 but have not yet done a long route or journey where the trip log is likely to fill up. I will be unlikely to do such a journey until late August.
I still get the prompt, on every startup, to load Extras data to the device. I wish I knew how to kill this. On my 660 there was a tick box for "Don't ask me again"
r21442
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too froze again after just a couple of re-use. Updated s/w and will only post back if it doesn't fix.
andrewdwork
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: 760 again Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 760 that does everything described above. It will freeze suddendly and then will gradually do less and less of its switch on sequence until it just manages to say "Loading Maps". The only cure seems to be a hard reset as everyone else has found, and that loses all setup data, camera pois and favourites. If it does manage to get booted it may or may not accept postcodes, and also will not find any satellites after the failure.

It always happens after a long-ish journey, and never whilst running around locally, so the problem seems to be with trip logging as mentioned elsewhere.

Yesterday it died again, after about 200 miles, so this morning I logged onto Garmin and was able to load a new version of 7XX firmware.

The jury's out, but I am doing Falmouth tomorrow and back wed/ thurs so that could give it a good try at over 700 miles.

All | have to do now is get the latest maps, and speed cameras etc.

I there a good way to save the favourites and POIs onto the PC so that it can be re-applied if a reset becomes necessary?
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Saving POIs, Favourites etc Reply with quote

Andrew

There are two ways; first use Garmin's free MapSource or basecamp software allows you to back up your Satnav to your PC. Second is to back up POIs as .csv files, examples here:

-1.22324,52.5778,Ashlands Farm,"Copt Oak Rd, Narborough, LE19 3"
-1.65053,53.73725,Birstall Depot,npower Birstall
-1.40752,52.49957,Bramcote Hospital,

You can then reload these using POI loader
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also back up your favourites this way:

Copy current.gpx from the GPX folder in your nuvi to your PC. Rename it temp.gpx

Now do the hard reset. Then reconnect your nuvi and copy temp.gpx file to the nuvis GPX folder. Boot your nuvi and the favorites should now be back, since on boot your nuvi merges temp.gpx into any existing favorites (in your case none at this point). Once that's done reconnect your nuvi to your PC and use Windows Explorer to delete temp.gpx.

POI files that you've added can simply be copied from the POI folder, and then copied back after the hard reset.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: