Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - duel map sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

duel map sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illysv650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: duel map sat nav Reply with quote

Is there a sat nav that can be used for normal road use but also use o/s maps as well. I use view ranger on my phone which is ace.

Thanks
illy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Road Angel 7000 used to offer this sort of capability BUT the on road navigation was dire and out on the hills with the Memory Map software running it was ok for a map display showing present position but it was very limited in what it could do. Add to the above poor battery life and it wasn't something I would head to the hills with (I did try one for a few days back in 2007 or 2008), by now it's so out of date I doubt you will even find a working one still for sale!

As for more modern stuff, a SmartPhone with the correct software loaded will do what you are after, to waterproof it consider an Otter box but it will still be a jack of all trades master of non type device.

For walking I use the SatMap active10 for on road either TomTom on my iPhone or Garmin 3790T all of these work very well in their intended enviroment - Mike
illysv650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, thought I was expecting to much. Before I found this sight I bought an ebay special Chinese sat nav with pirated softwear that I couldn't update, but last week it got stolen out of the car so I need a replacement, good one this time. I go off road in my 4x4 thats why I asked the question about a 2 in 1. No probs just have to stick with my ViewRange and get a bigger phone.

Thanks again
Tony
Gmt_Plus1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember a post (about two-three years ago?) on these forums about the early Garmin Zumo's (550?) for motorbikes. I think that they can read most of Garmin map types including OS. I think.

It may be worth trying a search to find that post. Maybe.

Sorry to be so uncertain.

EDIT, I've just googled "Zumo 550 os maps" and it looks like it is possible.
illysv650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, cheers mate i'll have a look.

Tony
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin Oregon can do this. Check it out on buy.garmin.com, where Compatible Maps are listed.

It reads the Garmin version of Ordnance Survey maps. (It's brilliant for walking off-road). Techies can also load up maps from MemoryMap (eg OS 25k) on the unit.

The Oregon also reads the Garmin series of road maps. Its road navigation isn't quite up to the standard of road-specific units, but it will get you there perfectly well.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: