Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansys are generally very reliable with release dates so I've still got my fingers crossed that they will get their GO delivery today...... if so they offer next day special delivery so it should be with me first thing tomorrow morning.

I managed to pre-order the GO with them at a slightly lower price such that mine cost me £435 inc VAT and delivery....... but even so £447 (+£5 postage) is still pretty good compared to other offerings I've found on the net.

I'll post my thoughts on the GO if/when it arrives. 8)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a reply from the GO development team:
TomTom wrote:
you should be able to exchange POI files with any other tomtom product :-)

Ok this means that all Custom POIs for TT3 will work with GO. This will include our Speed Camera Database.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

That is strange. Yesterday I received an answer from the TomTom support team, that it is not possible to install add-ons on the Go yet.

My question was: 'is it possible to install custom POI's (ov2, bmp and wav) on the TT Go?'

If that is what they mean with 'add-ons'......

So, a bit confused here. I would like to try it on a new SD, not to damage to existing one. But it makes no sence to buy one, when it reallt doesn't work? Maybe someone else has a SD and wants to try it...?

Peter
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the difference between talking to support and the developers.

Currently the situation is that POIs are not supported on GO. But that will change soon. You will have to wait for the software to finish testing before it will be available though.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading another of your forums regarding Teleatlas and TT3 including the very recent update about version 3.03 which has just been released. Problems people were having included major towns that could not be found e.g. Sutton Coldfield and street searches for towns producing streets hundreds of miles away.
My question:
Has the software for Go been improved so places and streets are correctly found from the (iffy) Teleatlas database?
Thank you
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the TT Go for a couple of weeks now. Last week I had two long distance tours (about 250 km each in both directions, in Holland and Belgium). TT Go had no trouble calculating the route and finding the streets with the housenumbers.

Only one 'strange' thing happened, it calculated one time a different route for the way back...... I don't know on what technology the route calculation is based and if it is possible that routes might be different in both directions.

But for the rest: the TT Go works fine and is fast and accurate.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Perhaps the Holland map is accurate and the software reads it correctly. My persent car has sat nav and it has quite often routed a return trip with a slight difference at a certain point. Hopefully the Go in the UK will be as accurate at routing as yours.
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
This is my first Post to this site, but I have been viewing it for a while now and would just like to say well done a great site.
now to the question.

We have two vans delivering to addresses which could be House / Firms Names. Once we have found them the first time we normally make a note in a book so another driver can find them again.
In your TomTom Go review one of the photos shows an option for a favourites list.

1 I take it this would be the place to store house names. If so how many could be stored on GO ( out of the box)

2. How do you enter the location details and house names.

3. Since either van may need to find the house again at some time. Can the data from both units be synchronized so both units have up to date lists. I am looking at Go since it looks simple for the drivers to use.

4. The review says that the antenna is in the unit on the dash board. I can see that the sats in front of the van would be in line of site but would not the roof, sides and back on the van block most of the signals. Can Go have an external aerial if so what sort ?.

many thanks Kevin.
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. On the TT Go, with a 128MB card the software allows to enter about 48 favorites. It is in my opinion not depending on the size of the SD, but on the software itself, or maybe the filesize, which is reserved for favorites.

2. The TT Go has a touch screen, so a simulated keyboard (not qwerty at this time) will be used to enter address details in a very easy way.

3. Yes, with a little bit of know-how and searchhing , where files are stored on the SD and a connection to a computer, both SD cards can have the same favorite data. The filename of the favorites in the Beneluxmap is Benelux-Map.cfg. You can open this file with a simple text processor to see the favorites. But don't change this file manually, since there are many control characters in it as well.

4. In almost all cases places the TT Go on the front screen of any car would be good enough to receive the minimum amounts of signals, so an externalantenna would not be needed. However TomTom is developing a professional kit for mounting the Go with an external antenna and a mute possibility for the carradio.

Peter
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version of TT Go is available on the TT website. Now version 4.21 is the version to use. It improved on:
- better battery performance
- optimized addressing algoritms (don't know how one will notice that)
- several product improvements (also not easy to determine)

Nothing has been mentioned about custom POI's.

Anyhow, they advice older versions to be upgraded.

Peter
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterLuit wrote:
A new version of TT Go is available on the TT website. Now version 4.21 is the version to use. It improved on:
- better battery performance
- optimized addressing algoritms (don't know how one will notice that)
- several product improvements (also not easy to determine)

Nothing has been mentioned about custom POI's.

Anyhow, they advice older versions to be upgraded.

Peter

I can't find the update on the website...... I went to the support section and searched for GO updates...... nothing was available.

Are you using www.tomtom.com?
PeterLuit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'nice' url is: here

Hi Peter,

I've just tided up your URL in case you wondered.

Regards,

Robert aka Privateer
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remus wrote:

1 I take it this would be the place to store house names. If so how many could be stored on GO ( out of the box)

The only way to do this at the moment is to use favorites, but soon (no date set yet) the customisaable POIs will be available. This will allow you to create and manage an almost infinate number of locations.

remus wrote:

2. How do you enter the location details and house names.

You can either visit the location and set a favorite, or use the browse map function where you can search for an address. I assume that POIs will have the similar functionality.

remus wrote:
3. Since either van may need to find the house again at some time. Can the data from both units be synchronized so both units have up to date lists. I am looking at Go since it looks simple for the drivers to use.

Doing this with favorites is not a recommended thing to do, but again when the POIs become available it will be simple, and using some of the tools on our site the POIs from 2 or more systems can be merged into a single file, which can then be uploaded to any users GO/Palm Navigator/Navigator3.
remus wrote:

4. The review says that the antenna is in the unit on the dash board. I can see that the sats in front of the van would be in line of site but would not the roof, sides and back on the van block most of the signals. Can Go have an external aerial if so what sort ?.

If I remember rightly there are a whole set of different connectors in the base of the GO, My Engineering sample only had access to the Power connector. I dont know if that has changed for the retail versions. The connections provide for external antenna, external audio, radio muting, and many more.

Even if the external antenna socket is not available you could always use a re-radiating antenna which will pick up the GPS signal from a more prominent position and relay it to the GO.
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

Just to say many thanks to Peter & Mike for the indepth answers to my questions. It look like I will be getting one unit to play with then when the poi comes out I can start to use it with my drivers.

kevin.
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found another review of the TomTom GO that is less than glowing...... I'd be very interested to know if Mike and Dave had any similar problems with their test version of GO?

The review is here:

www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=478

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 4 of 35

Jump to: