Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice Please on Navfree
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please on Navfree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clem670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Advice Please on Navfree Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just got a ViewPad 7 and installed the free gps programme Navfree but when I run it there does not appear to be any roads on the map just the shape or the country and an arrow about where I am situated. Does anyone know how to get the maps - I would prefer to save them on my memory card rather than having to go on line everytime I run the gps.
Sorry if this is a bit niaive but I'm a bit of a novice.
TIA
John.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you roughly?

NavFree uses Open Street Map which is good in town centres but can be lacking severely in other areas. All the mapping is created by people like me who drive around a village or town, track the route and then transfer the data to their mapping system. As such you can get 'dead spots'.

MaFt
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember that there is second app to download from the Market (play store) which enables you to download the maps you require. Have a search for NavFree and see what apps you are offered.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry clem670, the information I gave above is wrong, there is not a second app.

On my Android phone I tap the icon in the bottom right of the screen (looks like a TV set with an arrow), then Upgrades ----} Products------}Maps-------} select the countries to download.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
clem670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Advice Please on Navfree Reply with quote

Hi MaFt and AliOnhols,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I am always amazed how helpful people on these forums are.
I live in the center of felixstowe on the east coast so there should be roads on the programme - i just wondered if I downloaded from the wrong site, I downloaded it from here - http://navfree.expansys.com/Navfree_1.8.0.5113.apk - perhaps it was not the complete programme? It does show my position on the map but there is no other entries like roads or even towns (if i increase the scale) but if i input the name of a town it will show the arrow where the town is.
I clicked on the tv icon with an arrow on the bottom right of the screen, the only icon that seemed to help was the navfree store. I clicked on that and found "updates" (which showed - no items), "products" (which just showed - Ordinance survey postcodes) I installed these. The only other button was "installed" which just showed the ordinance postcodes!
Anyway, thanks again for your help, it looks like i will have to look for another product - are there any other free ones worth installing?
Regards, John.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the NavFree version from the Google Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Please on Navfree Reply with quote

clem670 wrote:
Hi,
I have just got a ViewPad 7 and installed the free gps programme Navfree but when I run it there does not appear to be any roads on the map just the shape or the country and an arrow about where I am situated. Does anyone know how to get the maps - I would prefer to save them on my memory card rather than having to go on line everytime I run the gps.
Sorry if this is a bit niaive but I'm a bit of a novice.
TIA
John.

clem670, sorry about this but, looking at the Viewsonic web-page for ViewPad7
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vpad7.htm, it looks like it doesn't have GPS but AssistedGPS which means that you shall need to be downloading data to enable the AGPS function.
Not sure if this may scupper your plans for off-line navigation.
Hope I'm wrong.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
clem670
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Advice Please on Navfree Reply with quote

Hi,
Just an update on my problem with Navfree maps. Thanks to the link provided by AliOnHols, I decided to un-install my version and then installed it from the suggested link and success!! I was able to follow all the previous advice and downloaded the maps. I can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to help us novices.
Great forum!
Regards,
John.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: