Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio Spirit 687 working with camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio Spirit 687 working with camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bondage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Mio Spirit 687 working with camera database Reply with quote

Thought I would share my experience of trying to load the camera database to the Mio Spirit 687 after many difficulties getting it running. I chose this device to replace my aging Tomtom, because I have a rear view camera, and wanted the facility of using the display for the camera. So i am pushing the unit to the limits of its functionality.

I should start by saying I followed the install instructions on here to the letter, and they are very good, but I still run into a few issues.

Symtoms: After loading each speed zoned CSV file, I did start getting warning messages about having more than 12,000 custom POI's. After reducing the number to below this figure the unit loaded perfectly. Driving round the GPS followed on the map, cameras gave warnings, my backup camera all worked as well as hoped.
On the first trip with a route planned, the first time I took a different turn to the satnav, it attempted to re-route, and locked up. The girlfriend in the passenger seat, reset the unit, but it locked at the orange map loading screen. A search on the internet revealed others with the same issue, but no fixes offered. I could not get a peep out of the unit, until I was stationary at my destination - it did seem to be a performance issue.

FIX: Quite simple really, use the consolidated database. I loaded just the mobile, gatsos, and specs csv files with their icons and wav files for alerts. It now works perfectly with just three custom POI catagories, and only the maps I currently need, i.e. lots of memory left.

Whether it is just this model, with the extra features I don't know, but I think there is a second limit on the number of catagories loaded in the custom POI database, not just the 12,000 POI limit. I have not experimented to find where the limit is, I just got it working for me and was extremely pleased with that.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar unit.
RFL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Mio 695 Speed Camera Load Reply with quote

Like Bondage, I hit the maximum POI limit. My way around this was to edit the downloaded .csv files deleteing camera locations in parts of the country I never travel to normally.
First I got the Latitude & Longitute values of my boundries. (I used the Submit Speed Camera page to easily do this.)
I opened the .csv files in open office.
Sorted the column in numerical order making it easy to delete a range of values. Actually, because longitude value is given first, I made my boundy anywhere west of a certain value.
This deleted a large number of locations so I no longer exceed the POI limit.
It only took a few minutes once I had got it sorted.

I think it's worked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: