Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Optimising map update costs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimising map update costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Optimising map update costs Reply with quote

The TomTom map updates are pretty poor, but they do appear to actually fix a few things from time to time, so are not completely valueless. My subscription just expired so TomTom are offering renewal (and they say another map coming soon).

The renewal is offered at 50% off. They say that the standard price is £74.95, which makes the discounted price £37.48. A quick visit to the TomTom web site anonymously says that a year of updates is £44.95. I presume that price is assuming you are on the latest map already, but then I am.

Now, if I could pay full retail, then it would make sense to miss two quarters each period, so that I get the benefit of the updates without paying for the full period. That assumes that there is no charge for picking up again.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to optimise the cost?

And I also have the dilemma that I think I'll probably move away from my 740 sometime due to the HD traffic problems and general reliability. But an experiment with Navigon on the iPhone showed how important the map updates are - as I flew across the sky on the new M74 extension and TomTom knew about it but Navigon was going "beware", "turn left", "turn right" and then took us along a train line saying "beware". TomTom not perfect though, as it thinks there is an on-ramp that doesn't exist...
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A side note, where is the incorrect on ramp as I alerted Tomtom to the new extension so it could be added to the map data in time for opening ;)

Steven

iPhone 12
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was quite interesting really, as we stopped over with someone who lives nearby, and he was interested in how good the TomTom was. He pointed out that the nearby "squinty bridge" is on most maps incorrectly, in that there is no right turn from the south side, westbound road. So when I said the TomTom was going to get me straight onto the M74 after correcting that, he was surprised. So too am I having looked at it. Obviously there was an idea for an on-ramp, but it never got built. In the Google maps link, note the buildings by the motorway, and then look with Satellite images, and you can see an area was cleared.

Anyway, the on-ramp is from Morrison Street, turn south into Dalintober Road, and you are taken left up onto the M74. Me, I blocked it in MapShare.

http://g.co/maps/d52sc
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, is it the red bit of road I have overlay on google maps that is wrong/does not exist in reality? I am still not 100% sure.

Steven

iPhone 12
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the link is not on the Google map. But it is on the TomTom. Compare Dalintober Road on the TomTom and see where it goes south to easterly. The on-ramp takes you to the east. (My TomTom is 50 miles away and not due to return for a few days)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it now.

Will report it to TT today to have it removed! Might take 12-18 months to appear in maps though!

Steven

iPhone 12
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, mark it blocked in MapShare. At least it might stop others from being taken in stupid directions. As it happens, you cannot get to the start of it as there was a big fire near there so the approach road is blocked for months to come.

As for the original question, I think that TomTom have worked out how to optimise the cost/benefit buy offering the "half price" option (which is based on a price they don't advertise). Because they may charge a "catch-up" fee, holding off may cost more. Looks like I may buy as the mapping is worth having up to date.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this how it looks once the eastbound slip road is blocked as per your instructions?

Steven

iPhone 12
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks right (if large!).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
could you possible make the picture a bit smaller? It's breaking the page layout.

"Rules is rules", and the PGPSW ones say "If you link to any images in a post they should be no more than 600 pixels in width and no more than 800 pixels in height." The clanky old board software can't resize images automatically.

Ta
(sent by PM too)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I'm at work now till 6 so won't be able to do anything with the pic till later on tonight I'm afraid.

Steven

iPhone 12
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited picture size!

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: