Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S80 Deluxe NavDesk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S80 Deluxe NavDesk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevvyg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: S80 Deluxe NavDesk Reply with quote

Hi, I have had a Navman S80 deluxe Sat Nav for a number of years now, and overall have been very pleased with it. I did have a camera update subscription, but the Navdesk software supplied with the device is a nightmare to use, so in the end, I gave up and the subscription lapsed, although I keep getting notification emails from Navman that an update is available.
Due to roadworks and new cameras, I'd like to update my S80 by subscribing once again to camera and map updates, but as I have now upgraded my PC to Windows 7 Home, I'm assuming that the NavDesk software that came with the S80 is not compatible.
Could anyone let me know if this is the case, and if so, where I can obtain a Windows 7 compatible version of NavDesk that I can use with my S80 Deluxe?

If a new version of Navdesk is available, I really hope it's easier to use than the XP version! The main problem I seem to remember was trying to find out whether I needed a camera update or not, and when I did know that there was one (email notification), I couldn't work out how to install it. I think I managed by trial and error once to install a camera update, but the software didn't indicate that the software was being, or had been, installed. I think I just left it for a while, then removed the s80 from the PC. You'd think that there'd just be a button somewhere obvious to push that would check the sat nav for update versions, then go off and install whatever was required, then let you know that it was installed correctly.

If no Navdesk software is available, I think I'll just use the S80 as it is. I can't see the roads changing drastically over the next few decades!

Either that or buy another Sat Nav, which would be a shame, as I rather like the S80!

By the way, I agree that Navman's (or is it Mio's now?) customer service has to be one of the worst I've encountered. They never answer emails, and the only time I got through to their call centre (somewhere near an airport in London), I had to speak to someone who was obviously foreign and had English as a second language. Why do companies employ people to work in the UK to answer technical queries over the 'phone, when they can't speak the language properly? I imagine the job interview must go:

Interviewer:"So, you're applying for the position of technical help desk guy helping English speaking people with their sat nav enquiries over the 'phone."
Applicant: "Yes. Me...erm.... helpa peoples technicalist nav..er...sat...error..."
Interviewer: "Great! When can you start?"
Applicant: "Eh?" Rolling Eyes
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to your points made
Yes if you install the Navdesk from the original DVD then run this patch http://download.mio.com/ServicePack/Desktop/Navman/NavDesk_v5_90_0028_SP5.5.exe
To update the safety cameras connect the S80 to the PC, open Navdesk, click on the subscriptions tab. If the dot infront of the subscription is green then everything is up to date, ifthe dot is amber click on the subscription then click on the word 'Update' and the update will then be downloaded straight on to your device.

This is the latest version available.
Depending on which version of the S80 you have you may still be able to get map updates.

Regarding the call centre, if the English is really bad then yes they shouldn't be answering the English calls. I know that most of the Navman call centre are bi or tri lingual as they support all of western Europe from the UK, which is a welcome change.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: