Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have I killed my GO700?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have I killed my GO700?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westie38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Have I killed my GO700? Reply with quote

I've finally got round to replacing the battery on my GO700, and all seemed to go well, up to the point of powering it up again. It looks like I've got the classic flashing white cross in a red circle syndrome. After searching various forums trying finding a cure, the advice always seem to be deleating files? - but I cannot even get it to connect to my pc. If I hold the power button in, I get a black screen with various bits a info, but then it reverts to the flashing cross and drive symbol. Doing a hard reset with a paperclip doesn't make any difference. All the maps etc are backed up on my pc, but until I can get it to see the device, it's a no GO. Any avice would be appreciated.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Have I killed my GO700? Reply with quote

westie38 wrote:
I've finally got round to replacing the battery on my GO700, and all seemed to go well, up to the point of powering it up again.
Have you tried charging the battery for about 2 hours?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
westie38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, after reading that the hard drive needs a fair bit of charge to spin it up, I had it on charge for about four hours before powering it up. I've had it sat for hours now with the flashing cross, trying to run the battery down, in the hope that a recharge might do some good - just clutching at straws really.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you charging it? When I changed the battery on my XL, it would only initially charge from the car power supply which seems to give it a larger amperage than a mains adapter. But it sounds a bit more complicated than that...
Kia In-dash Tomtom
westie38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I'm charging it with the TomTom mains charger it came with. I've had it on charge all night, so it's had a good eleven hours - still exactly the same though. I'll try it with the car charger, but it seems terminal to me.. Crying or Very sad

Trev.
westie38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EUREKA!
At last, finally solved the preoblem. I took it apart again with the intention of trying the original battery again, and I noticed the ribbon cable from the hard drive hanging down, not connected to anything. I've never come across that type of plug/socket arrangement on a ribbon cable before. It's a very tight fit due to the short length of cable - another cm would have made all the difference. Anyway, managed to get it connected, and it booted up fine, although it's very slow to acquire a satellite fix.
Thanks for the replies.
Trev Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 700 was, in my opinion, the best device they made. You could improve satellite acquisition and lock by getting the external antenna. Apart from that, the only thing they could have done was give it a bigger screen - but when they went to bigger screens, they jiggered up lotsa stuff which worked perfectly on the x00 models. Look after your 700 - I've been sad ever since mine gave up the ghost.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
westie38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, I took it out for a test in the car and it's picking up fine now (9 satellites). I agree with Dennis, it's been a brilliant bit of kit, getting me all over Europe without a problem. I paid a small fortune for it when the 700 first came out, but TomTom went galloping ahead, bringing out too many versions too early, with their inherent problems. The battery I've just fitted is a 2600mAH one from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290645299479?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Cheers,
Trev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: