Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 1370t--installing map on micro SD newbie question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 1370t--installing map on micro SD newbie question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: nuvi 1370t--installing map on micro SD newbie question Reply with quote

So I purchased a microSd card, and used Garmin's MapInstall program, and installed only to the micro Sd----a map of Europe that MapInstall had me choose the boundaries for.
My microSD is inserted while I type this.

Under map info settings on the Nuvi device, it shows two maps showing with a green checkmark:

CN Europe NT 2012.30 (this is in black bold type)

(1)Sankt Polten, Osterrecih, Wien, Oster (this is greyed out)
(2)Western Europe

CN North America NT 2012.30 (this is in black bold type)

(1) US & Canada (this is greyed out)

and with the micro SD card removed, it shows:

CN Europe NT 2012.30 (this is in black bold type)

(1)Western Europe (this is greyed out)

CN North America NT 2012.30 (this is in black bold type)
(1) US & Canada (this is greyed out)

My questions are:

1. I have two Europe maps showing. Does Garmin device automatically select the right map when I am in Europe, or do I have to do something, like you do on a TomTom, to swap maps (switch from device to SD) ?

2. Why did the map that MapInstall and me created, come up with the name "Sankt Polten, Osterrecih, Wien, Oster", when I chose the boundaries of Western Europe including southern Italy, Portugal, and Scandinavia?

3. Why when I went to use MapInstall again, this time choosing North America to install to an microSD, it did not copy to the SD?
Only one map at a time works?

Thanks for your advice, in advance.

Terry
ps
If you can point me to some tutorials about this I would appreciate.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the reason why maps appear 'greyed out' is that you can't change them, but if they're listed then they're installed.

Sankt Polten, Osterrecih, Wien, Oster is in Austria. Somehow you've just downloaded that map tile to the card, since that's all that disappears when you remove it.

You need do nothing to view the maps, you can prove this to yourself by zooming out until you can see the relevant maps, then zooming in again.
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: More questions... Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Basically the reason why maps appear 'greyed out' is that you can't change them, but if they're listed then they're installed.

Sankt Polten, Osterrecih, Wien, Oster is in Austria. Somehow you've just downloaded that map tile to the card, since that's all that disappears when you remove it.

You need do nothing to view the maps, you can prove this to yourself by zooming out until you can see the relevant maps, then zooming in again.

Thanks sussamb,

Yes I was able to zoom in and out on Sankt Polten, how do I know though, whether or not the Garmin is using the microSD map European map or the one installed on the Garmin?

Can you copy more than one map onto the microSD? I tried and only one shows???
Thanks..
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have more than one additional map on a SD card, but you'll have to rename them as you go along as MapInstall by default names them gmapsupp.img (I think), have a look and see. Otherwise the next map will overwrite the first, which is the reason you only see one map.
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: sorry to be a bother...but Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You can have more than one additional map on a SD card, but you'll have to rename them as you go along as MapInstall by default names them gmapsupp.img (I think), have a look and see. Otherwise the next map will overwrite the first, which is the reason you only see one map.

I renamed the gmapsupp.img file to gmapsuppremove.img, before installing a map of an Italian small town.

The new map of Italian small town doesnt show on the list in the Garmin device. Neither does the other map that is on the microSD.

Thanks again and again. Terry
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they should work. Do you have them in the correct folder on the card? They should be in the root folder in a folder named Map, so something like I:\Map

Also just confirm the card is formatted to FAT32?
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: now no maps are showing on Device-Maps-info Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Well they should work. Do you have them in the correct folder on the card? They should be in the root folder in a folder named Map, so something like I:\Map

Also just confirm the card is formatted to FAT32?

card is formatted to FAT32, however, now no maps are showing on Device-Maps-info. Got a message when using MapInstall that there was an error, and asked if I wanted to report it to Garmin.

Hmmm?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe card is faulty, worth trying another one?

All I can say if you've checked everything I've suggested, and used mapinstall correctly, it should work, it does on my 1490 Wink
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: One final question- formating microSD Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Maybe card is faulty, worth trying another one?

All I can say if you've checked everything I've suggested, and used mapinstall correctly, it should work, it does on my 1490 Wink

---------------------------------
In the format screen using Vista, one category says "allocation unit size"
should i be using the "default allocation size" or the other choice is how many bytes/kilobytes?
I think I chose "default allocation size" ???
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it should be the default.

Does your PC see the card when your nuvi is plugged in?
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
AFAIK it should be the default.

Does your PC see the card when your nuvi is plugged in?

yes the PC sees the card, and i can view jpeg pics that I snapped on the Garmin device.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can help further. Unless someone else has a bright idea your next step is to call Garmin ... have your nuvi plugged into your PC and they can often sort things remotely, but be prepared for a bit of a wait Wink
hasiel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all your help Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Not sure I can help further. Unless someone else has a bright idea your next step is to call Garmin ... have your nuvi plugged into your PC and they can often sort things remotely, but be prepared for a bit of a wait Wink

-----
Just a final note to tell you what I have done, for the benefit of everyone.
I exchanged my MicroSD card for a new one and formatted to defaul fat32 on my Vista OS. I tried MapInstall again and it didnt work. I put some pics that I took back on to the MicroSD and was able to view them.
I then used Google to export a destination directly to the MicroSD card, and was able to view it on "Favorites" on the Garmin.

I then created a service request at Garmin, they will get back to me in three business days Laughing

If I was betting, I think the problem is with the MapInstall software.

Thanks, "sussamb" enjoy your weekend.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know the outcome ... good luck with Garmin Smile
willton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that if you have e.g. the whole of europe 2012 and then also add a small part of that map, the map list will only show the greater map i.e. whole of europe.
the main 'default' map is named gmapprom.img and will be the prominent map other maps have to be in the right folder (device\.System or SDCard\Garmin\maps or something like that) and can be called "anything".img and stored on the SD or the device, space allowing.

I think you should format the card via the device rather than vista.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: