Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go520 power socket issue.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go520 power socket issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: TomTom Go520 power socket issue. Reply with quote

Hi
The connection socket at the base of my tomtom seems to be on its way out, when you connect via the car charger or pc base unit you have to mess about to get any power to the 520.

Is it worth trying to get this fixed or should I be looking for a new tomtom ? thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DIY fix for the mini USB connector isn't really viable, not only is it surface mounted to the PCB there are a couple of larger bits of the connector that are soldered through the PCB, de-soldering these prooves very difficult even with professional de-soldering equipment - Mike
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike...

So im going to be looking at buying a new tomtom then, thats not good news when all i read on here is how the newer tomtoms have less features.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible to find one on eBay with a broken screen?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be worth giving SatNav Repairs a ring to see what they would charge. They get very good reviews from our members.
Samsung Galaxy S21
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Thanks Mike...

So im going to be looking at buying a new tomtom then, thats not good news when all i read on here is how the newer tomtoms have less features.

Or if your're an iPhone aficionado you could take a look HERE & read the write up on the Bosch iPhone app by Tobas - it makes interesting reading particularly if you're looking at spending a sizeable wedge on a new TomTom
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your skills there are some final things you could check out to be totally assured that your unit is dead.

Often where mini connectors are fitted directly to circuit boards the bending of the socket as it is used can break or loosen one of the solder joints of the connectors to the board. If you look at the soldered connections to the board through a jewellers loupe or similar you may see one of the soldered legs move as you insert the plug, this could possilby be re-soldered.

You could try and look at the mini socket under a strong lens and see if any of the external socket contacts are misplaced, dirty or stuck down such that they don't flex slightly to make contact. These could be cleaned with a fine brush (similar to a record player stylus cleaning brush if you remember those) and a little alcohol. If they are pushed out of true or stuck, they could freed gently with a very fine needle.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
clay wrote:
Thanks Mike...

Or if your're an iPhone aficionado you could take a look HERE & read the write up on the Bosch iPhone app by Tobas - it makes interesting reading particularly if you're looking at spending a sizeable wedge on a new TomTom

There's plenty of other iphone and android satnav apps, the Bosch app just happened to be in the recent release list and is a good price for the launch period. I hope my write-up makes it clear why I'm personally avoiding tomtom, I had no problem with their software, just their customer service. I do like the Bosch app though Very Happy
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replys above... no iphone here...

My 520 is still fully working with the latest maps its just the socket has had it, I have to hold the plug in to keep the unit powered...

I might just buy a refurbished Go 750 from tomtom seems the best unit about still.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tobas"]
IanS100 wrote:
clay wrote:

There's plenty of other iphone and android satnav apps, the Bosch app just happened to be in the recent release list and is a good price for the launch period. I hope my write-up makes it clear why I'm personally avoiding tomtom, I had no problem with their software, just their customer service. I do like the Bosch app though Very Happy
Only problem, you have to have an awful iPhone (unless the latest one is a huge improvement)
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: TTG520T USB Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Thanks for all your replys above... no iphone here...

My 520 is still fully working with the latest maps its just the socket has had it, I have to hold the plug in to keep the unit powered...

I might just buy a refurbished Go 750 from tomtom seems the best unit about still.

clay...I have the same problem with my 520T..If you find anyone to fix it please let me know.

Anita, got a reply within hours.....£29.99 + P&P...

Edit to update to Anitas repair link...
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG520T USB Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
Anita, got a reply within hours.....£29.99 + P&P...

Thanks for the info, Stuart. Not cheap, but I'd pay it to keep my 720 going rather than buy one of the newer (and, in my opinion, inferior) models!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG520T USB Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Thanks for the info, Stuart. Not cheap, but I'd pay it to keep my 720 going rather than buy one of the newer (and, in my opinion, inferior) models!

+1 Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: