Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 first thoughts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 first thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: 1005 first thoughts Reply with quote

When I bought my XL Live I shared my thoughts post purchase and a bit later. I'll do it again for anyone who might be buying one.

Out of the box and after an hour of "play":

- The USB cable now has a propriatary magnetic connection to the device. All well and good but means I can't one one in the car and one on my laptop unless I buy another cable. Not a huge issue but a slight irritation.
- The magnetic mount is excellent. At least 1000% times better than the previous mount - which was awful.
- The menus are more responsive, much more.
- Screen is very bright and the touch response is excellent.
- New icons are clear and easy to understand
- Route planning is much quicker, a vast improvement
- The fuel prices have gone (or are well hidden!). This is a shame as I use this feature on my XL.
- Traffic downloads faster (at least it seems to)
- Mobile phone integration is smooth. I didn't have this before and was a reason to upgrade.
- "MyTomTom" is weird. It's a small desk top app which just seems to open a web browser with all the functionality. Need more time to understand this. It's not obvious how to update things or load POI.
- I have had to register a new email address as I'll be keeping the XL and can't have two devices on one email. That's a shame.
- The screen is huge. Fantastic for cars where the TomTom is some distance away e.g. MPV

Ultimately the proof will be in the using over the next few weeks. Looks good so far.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1005 first thoughts Reply with quote

sixhundred wrote:

- The fuel prices have gone (or are well hidden!). This is a shame as I use this feature on my XL.

It has gone in the UK, I'm afraid.... (and Europe?)

sixhundred wrote:

- "MyTomTom" is weird. It's a small desk top app which just seems to open a web browser with all the functionality. Need more time to understand this. It's not obvious how to update things or load POI.

Updates are pushed to you from the TT servers and will appear in the web browser window. Even without your unit connected to your PC, you will still get notifications of updates via the small MyTomTom icon in the system tray (next to the PCclock).

To add your own POIs (and other stuff like colour schemes, car cursors, voices etc.) you click on the "Add community content" menu when you click on the icon in the system tray.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I still have challenges with MyTomTom!

If I right click the icon I don't get the Add Community Content option. The only items are MyTomTom, Settings and About. Interestingly the top part forever says "Connecting" although it does say "Your device is up-to-date" (it states "not connected" when the device is off).

In addition the MyTomTom website isn't offering the free map upgrade.

I'll need to do some more digging over the weekend!
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixhundred wrote:
Thanks - I still have challenges with MyTomTom!

If I right click the icon I don't get the Add Community Content option. The only items are MyTomTom, Settings and About. Interestingly the top part forever says "Connecting" although it does say "Your device is up-to-date" (it states "not connected" when the device is off).

In addition the MyTomTom website isn't offering the free map upgrade.

I'll need to do some more digging over the weekend!

I've noticed on my MyTomTom software, that if I have looked in the settings option at any time and then right click on the icon I too only get Settings and About options. However if I connect my 1005 and also switch on the device I get all of the options including "add Community Content".

If I connect my device but do not switch it on I also get "Not Connected". I'm sure that it has always worked that way for me so I believe that you need to both connect and power up your device in order to get all of the options.

As for the e-mail that we received recently telling us that a new map was available, others have reported that that was a late e-mail referring to the last update to v875 for the 1005. I received mine some wekk or so after the last download.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for the automatic notifications of updates to work, the TomTom must have been successfully "connected" in the past.
And to actually GET the updates, it needs to be connected properly now (that bit's pretty obvious really! Very Happy )

So you're problem seems to be not with "MyTomTom", but getting the TomTom itself to be recognised properly by your PC.

These new models are connected as their own little web-server, so they will be recognised as a new Network Connection.

If it's not connecting properly look in Settings / Control panel / System Hardware / Device manager /Network Connections.
You should see it listed there as one of the Network adapters, does it have a cross or exclamation mark next to to it?

If it does, try right clicking on it and selecting "uninstall". Then disconnect and re-connect the TomTom again.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check your firewall/security settings.

I run bitdefender, and had to set an exception to allow TT to see the PC, or vice versa. Strangely the latest version of Bitdefender I updated to needed nothing set for TT, strange.
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

Managed to get the 1005 to properly connect by plugging the USB cable into the laptop and not the docking station. It immediately connected, found updates to Navcore and Map then downloaded and installed them both.

Latest thoughts after a good 300 mile trip are the speed of routing is excellent, the spoken traffic updates are useful and the mobile integration is excellent.

No reboots or other similar nonsense as yet.

This week will be several cross country trips and a good 1000 miles of driving. A good test.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Mapshare now work properly on this model?

I ask because my one displayed one its tips saying I should dock so I could share map corrections.

HummerUK
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a placebo
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what was meant by the previous reply... Confused

Currently, you can use the part of MapShare where you make corrections on your own device, but you cannot download other people's corrections.

I don't think your own corrections are being uploaded back to TomTom yet, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

So it's more "Map" than "Mapshare"....
sixhundred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 5000 miles I continue to be extremely happy with the 1005.

- No crashes. Not one. While on the XL Live it never became a real issue, there were occasional crashes.
- The speed of routing is superb. More importantly the speed to re-route after missing a turn is fast enough to be useful.
- HD Traffic continues to amaze me. So accurate. The only time it begins to struggle is when the situation is changing extremely rapidly although that's only to be expected. (I've read about the traffic horizon limitation but to be honest it doesn't bother me).
- The screen quality is superb as is the responsiveness to touch. No more press and wait.
- Why didn't they do the magnetic mount years ago!
- The option to turn off turn-by-turn voice instruction but leave on traffic camera warnings is a godsend.

and the bad
- the Favourite destinations doesn't work exactly how I'd like. It's a tiny niggle.
- the petrol prices have gone. I really miss this feature. However I've downloaded the PetrolPrices iPhone app instead.

I can't find anything else to fault. It's an excellent machine. Not cheap but for people who do lots of miles it's worth it.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a regional (UK/Ireland) version of the 1005, does anyone know if TomTom either make or intend to make one?
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a 1005 for a week now, replacing a 540, and I agree with whats been said
For me the main improvements are
It hasn't crashed once.
It much faster at picking up traffic info and it calculates routes much quicker
expensive yes, but I'm worth it! Smile
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin_b wrote:
Ive had a 1005 for a week now, replacing a 540, and I agree with whats been said
For me the main improvements are
It hasn't crashed once.
It much faster at picking up traffic info and it calculates routes much quicker
expensive yes, but I'm worth it! Smile

Does the slightly bigger screen make much difference?

Also, is the mini usb charger connection the same as on the x50 series ie can same charger/power supply be used?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 10xx series have their unique charger connection - so your old one won't be compatible

I have a Go 1000 (4.3") and also a Mio Navman 689 (5") and have used the 5" TTs too - if I were buying again today, would definitely go with the 5" version, everything is just so much clearer, and seems about the perfect size for a sat nav unit, to me
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: