Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera problm
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera problm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera problm Reply with quote

Hi

I have an annoying problem with a Nuvi 3790 and the PGPS Camera Database.

As I approach a speed camera, especially mobile cameras, I get a warning (good, thats what its for!) or maybe I get two warnings (not based on the Garmin "warn again if you are speeding") or maybe I get three warnings; four warnings are not uncommon!

I have tried changing the voice to the new PGPS ones. I have tried Ash10's Camera Manager. I have tried completely removing all POI's and reinstalling new ones. I have restored the 3790 as per Gamins' instructions.

I cannot think what else to do, or what can be wrong.

Any ideas?

John
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins seem to do that Sad

The worst place is on a motorway where there are adjacent cameras on both carriageways, that's the situation when you can get 4 warnings.

I've conquered that one in my app by removing one of the directions and only loading the approach warning in the .GPX file and not the overspeed duplicate.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremmen

Thanks for the reply.

The only GPX file that I can find on the 3790 itself only contains tracks and not the Camera Database.

When I look at the Camera Database there seems to be no direction data.

Where on the 3790 is there a GPX file for the Camera Database?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't find .GPX on the device.

Garmin's POI Loader understands both .CSV and .GPX files and converts them into a single .GPI file.

CSV files are restrictive in that they use default settings via the filename and give you a 36 second warning before each detected camera, too soon in my opinion.

Ash and I create .GPX files which are essentially renamed XML files. These files can contain various other bits of info that the POI Loader will suck in including user set proximity alerts including the facility to force the Garmin to warn about each camera regardless of your approach speed.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, this is much more interesting.

I agree totally with the 30 seconds, far to early.

The problem that I have seems to be with the 3790 firmware rather than the file format. I get too many warnings even with Camera Manager (though I never get four warnings when I use CM).

Is it possible to edit the Garmin's settings from some hidden menu?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:
I agree totally with the 30 seconds, far to early.
30 seconds is 880 yards at 60MPH and 440 yards at 30MPH. Mobile cameras have a maximum range of over 1,000 yards. Sad so 30 seconds is far too long eh! Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that with the default 36 seconds I was getting many warnings (West London) for cameras on adjacent roads that were within the 36 second range. Reducing this down to 14 seconds has eliminated this problem and 99% of the time I now only get warnings about cameras on the road I'm travelling.

I also found that on some roads you got the warning well before the camera was in sight and there is a risk of forgetting the warning and speeding up again accidentally.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both you Gentleman, in an ideal world we would have differing warnings, mobile cameras on motorways giving 1000 yard warnings, GATSO's in suburban areas 2 or 3 hundred, but that aint going to happen for a while, and creating the database would be hell, it would take a committee to waork out the distances, camera locations etc. and we all know what the results of committees are! Evil or Very Mad

But we are getting of piste, it dose not solve my multiple warnings.

At the moment I an running with the Garmin single tone option, but this means that every time the tone goes off I have to look at the Garmin screen and read the text box. Not exactly the safety feature that voice warnings are!
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Ash10 you can set different warning times for the four different camera types - so that you get more notice of a mobile than a Gatso, for example.

I'm not familiar with the 3790, but if it has a built-in camera database like my nuvi has, are you sure that this is turned off. Otherwise you'll get warnings from both the Garmin and the PGPSW databases.

Also, PoiLoader now allows you to set the name of the .gpi file it loads to the device. Some people on this forum have found they have accidentally loaded multiple camera files to their device, which might be a source of multiple warnings.

If using Ash10, be sure you've checked the four "Approach" warning boxes, and unchecked the four "Overspeed" warning boxes if you don't want these extra warnings.

If anybody else has more thoughts, I'm sure they will chip in.

Dales.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, you can set mobile Approach and Overspeed warnings separately from fixed cameras within the GPX file format, easy peasy Smile

I choose to have my mobile warnings still at 14 seconds with no follow up Overspeed warning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: