Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 1240 - a number of faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 1240 - a number of faults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 1240 - a number of faults Reply with quote

I've been asked by a friend to see if I can get his 1240 working properly, and wondered if anyone had experienced similar problems.

When the unit is connected to a PC via the USB lead the PC does not recognise that the unit is connected. ALthough it will charge the 1240 OK via the usb it does not show up as being connected.

I have tried different USB ports; a different USB cable and also a different PC, to no avail.

I have tried a reset of the 1240, (both using the bottom RH of the screen and the reset button) and then tried with disconnecting the battery, but nothing has worked to date.

Other strange behaviour includes:
a message at start up "This accesory is not supported"
and if you connect the 1240 to the 12v connection the screen goes blank. ( I will check to see if this is a simple fuse isue)

As I don't seem to be able to update or even reload the firmware then the issue seems terminal. Similarly since the problem first occurred he has been unable to update his PGPS camera database.

In effect the machine is now stuck in a timewarp and whilst it functions when handheld the data it contains becomes more and more out of date Mad

Unless, of course,any of you have any bright ideas?

Tazz

Last edited by Tazz070299 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the USB cable that was supplied with the device as the Garmin cables are slightly different to straight USB leads, make sure it is the lead that came in the box with the device - Mike
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my moneys on the cable also. Even if it is a Garmin cable they have been known to fail, so unless the other cable you tried was also a Garmin cable then another Garmin cable might be the answer.
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I therefore have tried 2 other Garmin cables (from my 660 & my etrex) neither of which worked fully with the 1240, although all 3 cables work fine if I connect my 660 to the PC.

I am left with the conclusion that it is either a problem with the USB port on the 1240 or a software problem. (I have opened up the machine and cannot see any physical problems i.e. broken joints, with the USB socket)

Sadly, without a sound connection I can't see me being able to make any further progress in diagnosing the fault.

Tazz
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: USB Socket Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
I am left with the conclusion that it is either a problem with the USB port on the 1240 ...

That's where I'd put my money ...

There's several folk on a well known auction site(!) offering USB repairs for £14.99 ...

one of them - who's not advertising at the moment - also had the 5 pin USB sockets for sale, so you could have a go yourself. (Not to be undertaken lightly; the connectors are tiny!. Beware Maplin's mini-USB sockets - they only have connections to 4 pins.)

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect you're right having eliminated everything externally. Garmin could repair it for you but better to sepnd the cash on a new unit; I'm assuming it's not in warranty?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it on another PC?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: