Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange routeing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange routeing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrongstuff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Strange routeing Reply with quote

I have a garmin 1690 and wondered if anyone can explain or has the same problem with routeing.

If I plan to go from Milton Keynes to Kilmarnock when I first got the unit it would route M1 M6 M74 then strangely A75 A76 which is not the quickest route. If I put in the the intersection of M74/A70 as a via it knocks twenty minutes off the journey.

In the last six months it behaves even more oddly by routeing M1 either A50 across to the M6 or A66 across to the M6 neither of which are quickest. Coming back it does exactly the same thing.

It's not a real issue in terms of navigation, but it does screw up the traffic, which is why i have it turned on.

To get the routeing down or up the M6 I have to put in Southwaite, Stafford and Hilton Park services as vias to force it to route down the M6

I do this journey once a month and for instance coming back when it reckons that the fastest is via the A50 and I make the change it knocks up to forty mins off the journey time.

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought as I don't have a Garmin, Is there an option to set 'Quickest', 'Shortest' etc route? If so have you inadvertently set it to 'Shortest'?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand each road gets a series of 'parameters' attached to each map version. This is one of the reasons why new maps are often hopelessly out of date when they are released because they have to attach all manner of parameters to new roads and adjust existing parameters for roads that have been adjusted or now pseudo cul-de-sacs which also affects adjoining roads. Not a quick job I imagine.

When routeing is being calculated the software seems to take shortest and quickest into account and makes a decision for you that your requested shortest route is not a viable option and often gives you the quickest anyway.

My Honda/Alpine built in SatNav is just the same, it insists that Heathrow to Malvern has a shortest route of 129 miles whilst I can do it in 104. It decides that I must stay on the M40 instead of cutting across via Chipping Norton and Evesham which is far shorter and actually quicker at some times of day.

A few suitably places waypoints later and the journey is not only displayed as shorter but shows as quicker as well.

Funny thing is, MapPoint/AutoRoute does exactly what it's told and delivers the actual shortest or quickest route every time.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Just a thought as I don't have a Garmin, Is there an option to set 'Quickest', 'Shortest' etc route? If so have you inadvertently set it to 'Shortest'?

Certainly need to check that, also check to see that you haven't inadvertently set any avoidances.
tailz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1690 is exactly the same, some of the routes it opts for leaves me stumped. on my way home from Mansfield to Kettering it tries to take me back roads all the way, if I ignore it and head down the M1/A14 it takes 15 minutes off the journey, even though it's about 20 miles further. I have quickest route set and no avoidances, so can only put it down to crap software.

Generally I only use mine if I am in a City as they can be difficult to navigate, so I have no idea if the routes selected then are any good or not. To be fair, it has got me out of some pretty bad spots, so it's not a total loss and always manages to get me home.

I have just accepted the fact that using it, will get me home eventually just not necessarily quickly.

Not any help to you but you are not alone, there are many threads covering strange routing from Garmin.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tailz wrote:
... so can only put it down to crap software.

It's not the software, Garmin works out its routes from the mapping and that's supplied by Navteq. Associated with each segment of map is a 'speed' parameter, so Garmin works out what is 'fastest' using the speed parameters set by Navteq. Sometimes they're a tad out Shocked

But then if you think a different route is quicker you don't have to slavishly follow your satnav Smile
tailz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
tailz wrote:
... so can only put it down to crap software.

It's not the software, Garmin works out its routes from the mapping and that's supplied by Navteq. Associated with each segment of map is a 'speed' parameter, so Garmin works out what is 'fastest' using the speed parameters set by Navteq. Sometimes they're a tad out Shocked

But then if you think a different route is quicker you don't have to slavishly follow your satnav Smile

Maybe Garmin should take a leaf from Autoroute, they not only have a fastest but also a "Preferred" route. This preferred route takes in to account the type of road, as in motorway or A road and calculates the probability of achieving the supposed national speed limit for that road. I have found this option very useful and extremely accurate.

I also think you may have missed some of my post as I don't slavishly follow my satnav, I use it mainly for City route and if I think I know better, then I will certainly use my own judgement. As I said, following my satnav will always get me home, just not necessarily by the fastest route. Smile
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that comment not aimed at you Smile

I hear what you say about Autoroute, but then that's not in a PND that you can clip into your car, not sure you could get the computing power to do all of that plus all the other stuff your nuvi can do at the sort of price/size that makes sense. Would be good if you could though Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
I hear what you say about Autoroute, but then that's not in a PND that you can clip into your car, not sure you could get the computing power to do all of that
Why not? iGO does. It has five different routing options :- Easy,Economical, Short, Fast, Scenic which you can display to choose from, and 7 vehicles:- Car, Taxi, Bus, Lorry, Emergency, Pedestrian, Bicycle. Pretty much unlimited VIAs with route optimisation. TMC RDS if you have the hardware. Need Igo on Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Yes a small PND would likely take considerably longer to calculate but I'm sure it would get there in the end.

I would be quite happy to let it chug away if it gave me the optimal route.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
sussamb wrote:
I hear what you say about Autoroute, but then that's not in a PND that you can clip into your car, not sure you could get the computing power to do all of that
Why not? iGO does. It has five different routing options :- Easy,Economical, Short, Fast, Scenic which you can display to choose from, and 7 vehicles:- Car, Taxi, Bus, Lorry, Emergency, Pedestrian, Bicycle. Pretty much unlimited VIAs with route optimisation. TMC RDS if you have the hardware. Need Igo on Very Happy

And the cost of an iPhone is? I'm sure if there was sufficient demand Garmin would do it, I suggest there isn't and/or cost would be too much ... but would love for Garmin to prove me wrong, would be great!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most users of iGo will be using the software on a PDA or PDA based SmartPhone, iGo has also been released for iPhone but you don't need the Apple product to use iGo - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
And the cost of an iPhone is? I'm sure if there was sufficient demand Garmin would do it, I suggest there isn't and/or cost would be too much ... but would love for Garmin to prove me wrong, would be great!
I havn't got an iPhone, just a PDA and PNA that both run iGO. I was just trying to point out that the features can run on PNAs with 64MB so processor power and memory is not a limiting factor. Having said that, iGO does run a bit faster with 128MB RAM. Both Garmin and TT could do it, but for some obscure reason, don't Shocked
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I guess then that it's all being done using connected services, rather than storing/calculating everything in the device itself as 64MB wouldn't store the amount of mapping that most PNDs have? That's why it's able to do it, it's all being done on a server somewhere.

If I've got that wrong apologies, never really looked at smart phones!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps etc are stored on the device usually loaded to a memory card, if the hardware supports the SDHC format cards then anything up to and including 32GB is available for maps and application software.

This storage capacity is different to the 64MB/ 128MB or even 256MB of RAM fitted to the PDA/ SmartPhone. iGo doesn't need a data connection to work, everything is carried out locally on the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: