Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD traffic not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD traffic not working
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GO1000 shows incidents up to a range of 50 miles in a straight line from my current position, nothing more Sad

The same is true with my GO950 also!

Steven

iPhone 12
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsainsbury wrote:
So - does the new HD Traffic work with a GO Live 550?

I've had an email from TomTom today suggesting I may need to upgrade the device to use the new service....

http://breakfree.tomtom.com

http://breakfree.tomtom.com/trade-in/uk/trade-in-and-break-free.html

Confused now....

That's just a trade-in deal from TT, nothing to do with the HD problems.
My 550 Live is still OK this morning.
kitlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight! Am I to believe that if my journey is more than, say, 60 miles, my 950 will no longer take into account traffic incidents beyond that range? So travelling to Scotland, if the M6 is blocked at the border, I won't know about it until I get to Kendall? It's time for TT owners to say enough is enough. How can TT sell a device and service, then downgrade its functionality to make it virtually useless? Any consumer product lawyers out there want to take this on? Nigel
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitlander wrote:
Let me get this straight! Am I to believe that if my journey is more than, say, 60 miles, my 950 will no longer take into account traffic incidents beyond that range? So travelling to Scotland, if the M6 is blocked at the border, I won't know about it until I get to Kendall? It's time for TT owners to say enough is enough. How can TT sell a device and service, then downgrade its functionality to make it virtually useless? Any consumer product lawyers out there want to take this on? Nigel

To be fair, apart from roadworks, the vast majority of "incidents" are cleared within a few hours (obviously not ALL) so do you really want TT to divert you away from something 2-5 hrs/100-250 miles away that may not even be a problem by the time you get there? As long as you get sufficient warning/reroute options before getting there isn't that what it's all about?

Taking it to an extreme, you plan a trip from London to Madrid & it tells you there's an accident just outside Madrid. Do you REALLY want/need to know that within 5 minutes of leaving home? No, I don't think so.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread for a long discussion on this topic.

However, in summary, when one can travel 50 miles on the motorway in around 45 minutes, more advance warning of incidents is essential.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
See this thread for a long discussion on this topic.

However, in summary, when one can travel 50 miles on the motorway in around 45 minutes, more advance warning of incidents is essential.

I thought this was just (another) failing in the new devices, not the good old x40/x50's
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be changing as we speak...
See here.
kitlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:

Taking it to an extreme, you plan a trip from London to Madrid & it tells you there's an accident just outside Madrid. Do you REALLY want/need to know that within 5 minutes of leaving home? No, I don't think so.

That is taking things a bit far and maybe even my example was a little extreme... but what about London to Birmingham. If the M40/M42 has a problem, I'd want to know to take the M6 instead, which does mean knowing about it at the point of departure, not at High Wycombe.

My real point is that TT have sold us a device and service based upon an advertised specification. How can they unilaterally change the specification post sale? I can't believe that's legal! It's bad enough forcing an upgrade, but forcing a downgrade? Nigel
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
My GO1000 shows incidents up to a range of 50 miles in a straight line from my current position, nothing more Sad

The same is true with my GO950 also!

Steven

Time for a conversation with your friends at TT??

Perhaps Darren could ask them for definitive statement as to is they have reduced the amount of data / range of incidents the 1st gen LIVE devices are receiving.

Rather coincidental there was a 2 1/2 day outage just before .......
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:

True, I don't need to know about incidents around Madrid.

BUT

I do need to know about incidents further than 50 miles away. For example, the fire under the M1 that closed it for days earlier in the year. This is approximately 200 miles away from me driving distance, probably 150ish as the crow flies. If I was heading to Brent Cross, the TT would send me right in to thick of all the congestion caused by this as it wouldn't be aware of the incident until I was 50 miles away heading south on the M1! If it knew about it when I set off a quicker route might have been to use the M40/A40/North Circular and work my way round, therefore avoiding the carnage that was the M1 inside the M25 when this happened. It would be too late to make the decision, I would have to have made that decision to go that way as I come off of the M6 toll on to the M42 and then either choose M6/M1 or M42/M40 - at this point in time I won't be seeing incidents around London as they are more than 50 miles away!
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
To be fair, apart from roadworks, the vast majority of "incidents" are cleared within a few hours (obviously not ALL) so do you really want TT to divert you away from something 2-5 hrs/100-250 miles away that may not even be a problem by the time you get there? As long as you get sufficient warning/reroute options before getting there isn't that what it's all about?

The point is that if it is only a medium delay, say 20mins, then any alternative route will have to add less than 20 mins on to the normal route for it to be worthwhile. So supposing there is an alternative that is only 5 minutes longer, if the original delay disappears then you will arrive 5 mins later than if you hadn't diverted. On the other hand you may save 15 minutes if the delay remained and you followed the diversion.

Now if the delay is a big one, say 60mins, it's unlikely to have completely cleared in the couple of hours it might take to get there. In fact if the delay is caused by the M/way being closed the delay could be increasing rapidly but your device would be unaware until you are 45 mins away. By the time you are this close, the possible alternatives are likely to be reduced.

My 540 has had this 50 mile radius limit for several months now and I have fallen foul over it a couple of times. Once I was travelling from the NW down to Kent. The normal route is down the M6/M1/M25 clockwise over the Dartford crossing. There was an accident on the M25 causing long delays before the Dartford crossing. HD traffic didn't show it until I was on the M1 near Milton Keynes. So it then diverted me anticlock round the M25 with a 10 min delay around junction 18.
If it had known about this when I started or even when I was near B'ham I could have gone down the M40 and avoided both delays with a diversion of only 5 minutes more than the zig-zag route I actually went which added 35 minutes.

I've used the HDtraffic a lot and I definitely preferred it when it could see over 100miles away.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, Lucy at TT support still wants me to reset my device to factory settings etc and all the usual jumping through hoops as it must be my device or me that is at fault, nothing to do with the TT servers apparently.

I haven't had to log a call with TT for about a year and the support seems to have got worse! She obviously hasn't noticed the 14 page long thread on their own support forums about HD Traffic being down!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
I've used the HDtraffic a lot and I definitely preferred it when it could see over 100miles away.

I fully agree. It is kind of useless now for long journeys, which is why I got it in the first place. For local delays, the local BBC station will tell me about them whilst I am eating my brekkie Laughing
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HD traffic hasn't been working last couple of days (blue bar came up but no incidents) but been back working ok today.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the limit should be 100 miles, as this will give the driver time to assess traffic hold ups, take alternatives if necessary, or monitor to see if they are clearing or getting worse.

Then allied to Traffic announcements on the radio, the driver can then make changes to his route and make adjustments according to his requirements.

As stated by others, anything less virtually reneders HD traffic useless when driving any distance.
GO 920 Dead

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: