Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
All I ask for is multi via's and optimisation. When? If ever. Sad
But you have that already on your iGO Rolling Eyes Very Happy
nwatson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so glad i read this thread, I was so close to buying a 1005, but i guess i will keep my trusty tomtom one v2(data costs are minimal).

Will Tomtom ever learn? they seem hell bent on driving existing customers to competitors, I mean who in their right mind would produce a new product with less functionality than the existing range, the whole point of new models is to improve existing functions and introduce new ones!

Can anyone really see Ford releasing a new focus with manual windows, no power steering, or heater?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Border_Collie wrote:
All I ask for is multi via's and optimisation. When? If ever. Sad
But you have that already on your iGO Rolling Eyes Very Happy

And iGO does a lot more but I'm giving the TT a good run so see if more 'goodies' come along.

With the iGO I would set a route to Brillon, nr Lille, and it would route via the Channel Tunnel, I would then add 'via Rely Services (reasonable priced meals).

With my via 120 it routes via Dover ferries. If I choose Alternative it re routes via Dunkirk. So start again and choose via Channel Tunnel. That's my one via gone. I then Change Route/Avoid part of route A16 and it re routes via A26 but I've no other via to use. So brain cells click in and I think 'I'll save the route'. DOH! How?

And before anyone says 'If you know the route why use the sat nav'? Well 1. If there was a divertion the French normally put one sign out pointing the way and then no more and 2. I mostly drive home in the dark and they don't have cats'eyes, just a silly orange disc on the central reservation every now and again, my dipped lights are dimmer because of the headlight deflectors and Picasso headlights aren't that good to start with, so it's nice to see on the sat nav if the road ahead bears left or right and how tight. I did try, once, travelling at the 130kph speed limit but it was like driving though a tunnel with a blindfold on., so I keep it down to 100 or less.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the HD traffic is getting worse. travelling home from up North down the M1 it shows the lengthy roadworks from Milton Keynes to Luton, how can is possibly say that 15 miles of contraflow roadworks with speed restrictions has no delay on the journey?
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted this - although the traffic range is crippled on the 1000/1005, it appears to be excellent on the iphone product.

Anyone have the iphone product?

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it is better on the I-Phone product as with the I-Phone you are paying for the data over mobile but on the TT units, TomTom are paying for the data so they are trying to reduce costs by minimising the data.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - I did think of that but then why cripple the range on the web map?

If it is down to data then really a better algorithm would be a small radius from where you are now (if no route planned) and a fan pattern along the mean direction of the route (if a route planned).

I'd get the iPhone app if it weren't for the promise I made to do with a cheese grater after I ditched my last one. Roll on TT for Android!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range on the latest version of the TT iPhone app is the same as on the TT PND range. I cannot 'see' any traffic any further on my iPhone app as on my GO 940 for example!

Steven

iPhone 12

Last edited by falkirk81 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make those photos (on the Tomtom website) more than just a little misleading - with 160 mile range!

Shocked
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting statement MrT, not thought about the delays through the roadworks on the M1. As I drive through them, both ways every day, I looked this morning, and there was no change to the ETA whilst driving through them, so I presume that means the journey time already has the slower speed limit built into it for routing. That way its not reported as a delay, because its the norm. Also the TT bings at you constantly if you exceed 50mph, which is what it claims is the max speed through there, so presumable also points to it being used for routing.

I'll check this again though, make sure I am not dreaming.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "binging" is from the TomTom safety cameras specs warning which is the only part of the TT safety cameras I like, not from the maps.

I cannot see the 50mph limit being built into the IQ routes part of the map as TomTom maps take months to update and in no way could keep up with the road works.

Mine and the online version calculate the roadworks section of the M1 as 13.9 miles in 13 mins which is faster than the 50mph limit.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all of those roadworks, every day. HD traffic never adds any time on, it just assumes 65 mph average. So you lose 5 minutes (or so) each time.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok, 65 mph average. I come through there with the cruise set to 60, which is about 57mph, so maybe its not far enough different to add a whole minute, hence I don't notice it. Yep, 57 mph is safe, well has been until now and I get pushed by trucks most days. God knows what happens if you stick to 50mph, must be scary.

Never really paid much attention to it, as on the 50 mile route to the office, I always get here 10 mins before TT says I should when I leave home. Not sure how I make up that much time, as I don't speed excessively, sorry at all Embarassed If I catch the lights right in London, the ETA drops like a stone. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the info on the binging, makes sense. But I am fairly sure that the speed limit is set to 50 on that stretch in the bottom left hand corner, and not 70, hence my presumption that it uses that for routing, unless it picks that up from the speed cameras as well. I will look tonight on the way home, as like pottsy, I do the roadworks every day.

Edit:

I take it all back. Tonight on the way home, it still had 70 as the max speed through the roadworks. Spells at 45 mph also resulted in the ETA being changed, although TT didn't report any delays. So its probably not as good as it could be, but then it is a changing situation, as there was a 4 minute delay in the roadworks when I left work 45 minutes earlier.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloater,

Just thought of you today... ;)

17 people at work just got NIPs through for speeding on that section of the M1. Most speeds were 57, 58 and 59 (57 was the slowest). Might be worth setting that CC to 55 or lower....
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the headsup, I'll slow it down a bit. Thing is, if I set it to 58, then most mornings I get pushed down the road by a truck, with a far more accurate speedo than mine. Evenings isn't an issue, can rarely get up to those speeds.

Anyway, 55 on the sat nav for me from now on.

Gary

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 4 of 27

Jump to: