Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the problem is the 50 miles, but more of that it won't find POIs "along route" if they are not just that ("along route")

So if you need to deviate off it a little, it won't find anything

If however you travel via a poi in a city (via in city, not along route option) which happens to be over 50 mile away it will work just fine

Obviously for many this wont provide the information they need, unless they know the area

Thats what I have found, anyway
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If however you travel via a poi in a city (via in city, not along route option) which happens to be over 50 mile away it will work just fine

That's right, but if for example you enter Dover and 'find' Castles it will show Dover Castle, the thing is, Dover Castle is not over 50 miles from Dover.

If I set a route to Dover and search for Castles around destination it will show Dover and probably Deal and maybe some others, although I haven't tried it, but iGO will show a list which includes Rochester Castle (50.4 miles from Dover), TT via Live wont show that.

Quote:
it won't find POIs "along route" if they are not just that ("along route")

But surely Rest Areas ARE along the planned route. iGO has no problem showing them 500-600 miles along route and ones slightly of route, 1/2 mile I believe and others that are further off route.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well strictly they are often off the route though it should of course find them, otherwise it would be a pretty pointless feature bringing virtually zero results. A fix for wider route search is needed

Re. Hd traffic just ad this email off tt - sure everyone else too, but seems to solve the traffic issues...

Introducing TomTom HD Traffic 5.0

TomTom HD Traffic 5.0 gives you even more control. Our newest release provides traffic information across up to 99.9% of all roads. Expected time of arrival is improved. Rerouting becomes more comprehensive. Better still – if you’ve already got TomTom HD Traffic, you’ll automatically receive the update direct to your device.
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had that email ref HD Traffic 5.0 as well, and I had it a couple of months ago as well.

99.9% of roads covered within 40, 50 or 75 miles depending which device you have - they seem to have omitted some detail from the marketing message.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have search my email (and usually get 3-4 from tomtom for every email they send out!), but nothing with this message before... maybe it is some improvements in customisation coming to the units, or maybe it is just marketing talk on what's existing, but "TomTom HD Traffic 5.0 gives you even more control" sounds (to me) like it would give you options, different to before
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done xtraseller, you too have fallen for TT's marketing!

Have a read here - it wasn't a newsletter I read it in, but a press release from mid-June.

You don't have any more options at all - it is just an improved detection of traffic hold ups that TT are using, that cover slip roads and pinpoint road closures to a point, rather than a section of road. It utilises the open source OpenLR technology, developed by TT. This hasn't had any updates since Jan 2011.

It has been out for a while now, seems odd that they have chosen to suddenly include it in a newsletter? Maybe it is getting rolled out to all devices now.

The opening line to that press release is quite comical given what this thread is about
Quote:

TomTom uses new technology to give drivers even better traffic information, wider coverage and greater accuracy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another simple way to show up the disaster that POI distance limiting is....

If I am verifying speed camera submissions for PGPSW I need to search a POI category for e.g "Gatso:12345".
I've always been able to just enter "12345" on the "find" page

But now, how on earth am I supposed to know what city Gatso:12345 is near? Evil or Very Mad

The thing that drives me mad about all this is that I wouldn't mind (much) if they had to ditch a feature because it didn't work properly, or caused other problems, but full POI search DID work fine!
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But now, how on earth am I supposed to know what city Gatso:12345 is near? Evil or Very Mad

I have found this an issue for RSPB reserves - wanted to stop off at one as going fairly close, but not close enough to route for it to show up

Andy_P wrote:
The thing that drives me mad about all this is that I wouldn't mind (much) if they had to ditch a feature because it didn't work properly, or caused other problems, but full POI search DID work fine!

It seems to be the trend recently for "coders" to believe they know best how people would use a product and remove ability/make it difficult for anyone to use it any other way
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Maybe, only time will tell

Indeed it does relate to the already announce (and indeed in reality improved) data collection (and lets all agree TomTom HD Traffic - for all its faults - remains the class leader)

But, it now suggests more, and with updates coming down all the time now for the new series in particular, why not this? Doesn't bother me as I see the logic in the 50 mile setting, but others don't like it and these days you have to please most of the people most of the time to make a pound

We'll take a rain check on exactly what they meant... time will tell
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Doesn't bother me as I see the logic in the 50 mile setting, but others don't like it and these days you have to please most of the people most of the time to make a pound

Xtraseller

Can you enlighten me with that logic!

I have experienced being routed into road closures due to accidents, and tailbacks that were not picked up on my device due the 50 mile limit (since increased to 75miles for my device.)

Now sitting in traffic, my journey time increasing due to delays, increased fuel usage, adding to traffic coingestion, and occasionally a missed very important meetings (despite my desire to always depart in adequate time to arrive at least 30 minutes early).

Not exactly meeting the promises in the Traffic manifesto!

If I paid for or desired an HD Traffic service limited to 50 miles, as that is limit of my driving range then it may make sense.

But I have not, I have paid for an HD Traffic Servcice that was reduced to impractical levels.
GO 920 Dead
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:

Fairly obvious you are not familiar with the whitepapers on HD Traffic 5 and the Traffic Manifesto, as well as the whitepapers regarding the OpenLR technology.

If you had read them, you would realise what TT were going on about.

Choices regarding the range are ideas that have recently been proposed to the HD Traffic team by the community - seeing as it has taken them 3 weeks to confirm that the back end infrastructure can maintain availability with a 75 mile range (when it used to be 100!), how long do you think it will take them to test a user selectable variable range?

Restoring HD Traffic back to a 100 mile range as it used to be would be the next best move, as well as the already discussed ideas that TT are working on regarding ensuring that road closures nationwide are included in HD Traffic. If TT could take this one step further and include 'major' incidents nationwide as well they system would be nigh on perfect as a compromise to your suggestion of a 500 mile range.

I think everyone agrees it is the best on the market, but currently it has some fundamental flaws that TT introduced for no apparent reason other than back-end server load in order to maintain availability. This renders the service of little value for anyone travelling over 75 miles currently due to the bottlenecks on main arterial routes in the UK. These are spaced at approx 100 mile apart - M60 round Manchester, M6 round Birmingham, and the M25 around London. You need to be able to choose different routes between these bottlenecks, which makes 100 miles a perfect distance in order to have visibility and make routing choices.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
But, it now suggests more, and with updates coming down all the time now for the new series in particular, why not this? Doesn't bother me as I see the logic in the 50 mile setting, but others don't like it and these days you have to please most of the people most of the time to make a pound

The point is that the return to a 100 mile range would please 'all' of the people all of the time: You'll be happy because you have your 50 miles range and everyone else will be happy to be back to 100 miles range.

On a daily basis I seldom seldom travel more than 50 miles from home and a 50 range would be adequate but I certainly don't want my Sat Nav / HD Traffic hobbled on the occasion I use it for longer journeys and any 'logic' behind doing so is seriously warped
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got it wrong

Yes on some journeys and with some delays, the 100 miles radius would perform better - without question

On others, however, it may have routed you well of the best route which has cleared well before you would have reached that point, but it would now take too long to get back on (the original and best) track

So no, one size does not fit all, and 100 mile radius isn't necessarily best

Oh, and I have read the tt traffic manifesto and understood it, which obviously not everyone did
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
You have got it wrong

Yes on some journeys and with some delays, the 100 miles radius would perform better - without question

On others, however, it may have routed you well of the best route which has cleared well before you would have reached that point, but it would now take too long to get back on (the original and best) track

So no, one size does not fit all, and 100 mile radius isn't necessarily best

But - if you are only travelling a shorter distance, the delay further down the road will not affect your route at all. Very Happy

If you are travelling further, you at least want to know about any delays!!!!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree but I would not want it to divert me, just yet, in all circumstances. We all know how many delays have either cleared up or eased by the point we reach them

And I am not suggesting tt will implement choice just that they are (maybe) suggesting this could be implemented

Either way it's what they should do... But that counts for nothing!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: