Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh now I understand; they halved the subscription, and halved the amount of information.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Oh now I understand; they halved the subscription, and halved the amount of information.

I suppose that makes a pleasant change from double the subscription & half the amount of information but it doesn't make it any more acceptable!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:

That may be what they did, but that's not what they said they were doing, and that's an important distinction. They sold us a service after we had a trial to see how good it was. We paid for that service, at a price we felt was fair. Then they came to us and said "hey, the service is cheaper now, isn't that nice?". And it was. Note that they did not say it was reduced.

Now, apparently (from what we are told) they reduced the service significantly (halved the range) during bad weather. This was because there was way too much information for some part of the system to handle (we aren't told which part). Okay, fair enough. But after that, they didn't put the range back again. Until someone noticed, and then kicked up a fuss. Don't worry though! We'll put it back up a bit. Not all the way, no, because we would have to test that. Test it? Why?

There is some significant detail being left out here.
Things we KNOW:
The full country data is downloaded in the first download.
The device then processes the data, and discards those out of range.
The range to discard is controlled by the server.
The range was 160km, but was reduced to 80km during the bad weather.
The range has now been increased to 120km.
The 1000 range of devices has a 40km "horizon" which seems to be hard coded. That is particularly poor, but at least they are doing firmware updates for it.

Things rumoured:
That if you plan from your destination, you can see the traffic on the map (this is suggested on the Forum, I've not checked if it is right).
That the range used to be longer than 160km - TomTom have been asked several times what the max ever distance was, but have not responded.

Speculations:
Could it be that the range has an effect on the data costs that TomTom pay? They would have a big incentive to keep that small, rather than charge more for a better service.

Whatever the situation, TomTom are not sharing any real information with their users about what is really happening, and why they can't put it back. Instead of being the "must have" service it used to be, they've crippled it without telling the public who are paying for it.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom just pulled one of my Posts (on their forum) for being off-topic. Apparently mentioning which category I posted my Watchdog complaint (Transport, cars) was not appropriate. I did get a message though, so they are being honest about it.

Hmm, seems more than one of my messages are gone. And it also explains how some people are quoting messages that don't exist already.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they also editted out the watchdog url link in the earlier post on page 25, why not put it on here instead?

A couple of weeks there was a post from one of their employees about the devices needing a new Navcore to fix the HD Traffic issue, that lasted about an hour before it was editted and changed all together, next time I spot something on their that doesn't seem quite right a screen grab will be in order - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could it be that the range has an effect on the data costs that TomTom pay? They would have a big incentive to keep that small, rather than charge more for a better service.

Could be the reason with traffic but they have no excuse with POI's.

Via's have gone up from 1 to 4 but they have to be within that 50 mile range. Great eh?

Whenever I drive longer distances I can pre plan stops at around 100-120 miles on my iGO8 so surely TT could easily do the same.

I'm really pleased I won my TT, if I had paid a couple of hundred quid for it I would be sick as a pig.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I think they also editted out the watchdog url link in the earlier post on page 25, why not put it on here instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

I chose transport, cars, and I mentioned how they advertise accurate journey times based on the traffic, but don't deliver it. I think it important to emphasise the consumer law aspect of this.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
Via's have gone up from 1 to 4 but they have to be within that 50 mile range. Great eh?

You are SO kidding! Are you saying that you can set a route, and then "via another point" and that point has to be within 50 miles? That is so laughable. Have they got the son of one of the directors planning this product now? (As with all sons of the director, he's a whizz with computers, and can design web pages too). Me, I use the itinerary feature to set a way-point which is the lowest services before I turn off the motorway. That's about 120 miles away. Sheesh, I'm glad I have a 740.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that you can set a route, and then "via another point" and that point has to be within 50 miles?

Yep. e.g. Set a route to Pembroke Dock plan via a Rest Area on route and you get the choice of Clacket Lane (32 miles).

The next one is Reading M4 Westbound at 88 miles. So if you stop at Clacket Lane and search the next Rest Area on route there are none because the Reading rest area is 56 miles away, outside the range of good ol' TT.

Quote:
Whenever I drive longer distances I can pre plan stops at around 100-120 miles on my iGO8 so surely TT could easily do the same.

I left out the word 'sections', iGO allows me to add ALL my via's or POI's in advance and then SAVE route for when needed.

With iGO I get a choice of the following.

Clackets Lane M25 Westbound 32 miles
Reading M4 Westbound 88 miles
Membury M4 Westbound 113 miles
Leigh Delamere Services M4 Westbound 141 miles

then 2 more slightly off route but close

Cardiff Gate M4 190 miles
Port Abraham M4 241 miles.

On a weeks trip to Devon and Somerset in a couple of weeks guess which one I'll be using TT or iGO?

(I noticed there were two more Rest Areas on the M4 between Reading and Membury (Costa's if my memory is working properly) Very nice.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
I left out the word 'sections', iGO allows me to add ALL my via's or POI's in advance and then SAVE route for when needed.
And it will sort pretty much unlimited number of VIAs into the most direct route, and does not just miss them out if it feels like it. And this is even if the start and end points are the same place Very Happy
And it has directional cameras. I could go on Shocked

iGO Rules. OK Idea

It hasn't got HD traffic though, but from what I hear, that's not worth having anyway Twisted Evil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have noticed over the last few days is when the almost boys in blue ( the highway agency ) put messages on the matrix signs, you know the ones that are on for a long distance and then get to end one without any problems, this is reflected in HD traffic giving the same problems. Not a lot of good is it.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
TomTom just pulled one of my Posts (on their forum) for being off-topic. Apparently mentioning which category I posted my Watchdog complaint (Transport, cars) was not appropriate.

If you are mj2012, its still shows in my post as quote at bottom of page 29:

Mick-TT950

mj2012 wrote:

I chose Transport, Cars for my report to Watchdog.
GO 920 Dead
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick, Yes, that's the quote of my pulled message that they didn't pull!
Bunty1948
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Border_Collie wrote:

You are SO kidding! Are you saying that you can set a route, and then "via another point" and that point has to be within 50 miles? That is so laughable. Have they got the son of one of the directors planning this product now? (As with all sons of the director, he's a whizz with computers, and can design web pages too). Me, I use the itinerary feature to set a way-point which is the lowest services before I turn off the motorway. That's about 120 miles away. Sheesh, I'm glad I have a 740.

I've just plotted a route from Northallerton, North Yorkshire, to Norwich via Bath and Oxford, points more than 50 miles apart and it's fine. Using a 1005. Am I missing something in this thread? It only seams to reject a route that tries to double back on itself, as it appears to be confused by the number of roads that it needs to check.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've just plotted a route from Northallerton, North Yorkshire, to Norwich via Bath and Oxford, points more than 50 miles apart and it's fine

That's not the problem.

Set a route from Northallerton to Bristol and then search for rest areas on route. How many do you get and how far away from start?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: