Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right - the range is as the crow flies, hence why you can see incidents further away by route distance than 75 miles.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, I planned a route from Halesowen to John O' groats, and the only incident showing is the same one showing on my route from Swindon to Cannock. It seems therefore that the 75 miles range is from your actual position as determined by satellite fix. I am in Swindon so if I plan a route outwith the 75 miles radius around Swindon, no traffic incidents will be taken into consideration.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Traffic now shows as far as Norwich and Peterborough, both 91 miles as the crow flies. (From Medway, Kent).

Checked again today, same result but noticed south/west'ish it only shows traffic as far as Portsmouth, straight line 84 miles.

For those getting 75 mile max. maybe the next nearest traffic to your position is 92 miles or more.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
Out of interest, I planned a route from Halesowen to John O' groats, and the only incident showing is the same one showing on my route from Swindon to Cannock. It seems therefore that the 75 miles range is from your actual position as determined by satellite fix. I am in Swindon so if I plan a route outwith the 75 miles radius around Swindon, no traffic incidents will be taken into consideration.

..... or your last known position from what I can see.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I'm sure that the route recalculation is faster, less data to process, possibly? Or am I fooling myself ?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest (non) update from TT

Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you very much for your feedback. As I've written previously, our HD Traffic team is continuously working on improvements.
Keep the constructive feedback coming!
Thanks,
Ditte

Not very informative or promising is it? Kind of gives the impression that this is all we are going to get, as a week ago they were indicating that the 100 mile range was likely to be reintroduced after some testing, and even dangled the carrot that some of the people providing feedback would be asked to help test further improvements.

A week later and they are still working on something or other for some time never maybe.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are trying to make sure that the re-introduction of something that appeared to work well in the past does not screw up something else that appeared to work well in the past Very Happy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if the implementation date is beyond the 'horizon' - does this mean it will never happen?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
They are trying to make sure that the re-introduction of something that appeared to work well in the past does not screw up something else that appeared to work well in the past Very Happy

You forgot to insert the link to Andy_P's missing items list. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
But what if the implementation date is beyond the 'horizon' - does this mean it will never happen?

Ah, now you are thinking of the horizon on which appear the GO1100/1105. I guess they (not the HD Traffic team, obviously, they're already busy) must be really busy putting up the latest PR discovery for the new devices. (I'm talking the new improved local - up to 25 miles from your current location only - TomTom Search to replace Google Search. You don't need Search for anywhere more than 25 miles away until you are 25 miles away and you don't need it to be comprehensive - TomTom KNOW what you want to find. This new Search facility is to replace the broken Help Me for nearest stuff like doctors, police stations and hospitals, all of which sell cheap petrol in Turkey). Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't read the content of your post as you are beyond my 'forum horizon'.
kitlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another typical situation. I drove from Durham to Petersfield earlier this week and was a little surprised that TT suggested the M1, M25, A3 route, but what's the point of a TT if you don't follow its route? It gave an arrival time of 5pm, which meant I should be clear of the M25 before the evening rush. Trouble was that I didn't know about the roadworks north of Luton and even when these finally showed up as a 30 minute delay the TT didn't take into account the knock on effect for the M25 (I think IQ routes is supposed to take the time-of-day into account?). So I got home at 6. Not so bad, but the M42, M40, A34 route would have been quicker. TT route planning just doesn't work for longer journeys any more.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you be sure the M42, M40, A34 would have been quicker?

I've made two lengthy round trips recently: Derbyshire - Bristol - Derbyshire and Derbyshire - Kent - Derbyshire. On the second trip TT Traffic showed incidents from Kent to Birmingham, easily far enough for various alternative routes to be considered i.e. Dartford Crossing or Blackwall Tunnel then M25 & M1 or M25 & M11 & A14 or M11 & A1 or A1(M) etc.

I'm sure we have all experienced the good and bad of Traffic in past months but on my longer trips the recent improvement works and works well - or maybe I'm just lucky?
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are now saying that to increase the range any further than 75 miles as it currently has will require a new Navcore to address the issue, this is complete crap as they turned down the range and claimed it to be an "Upgrade"
How long for new Navores to be released to cover all the Live equipped devices released to date, I guess we will be in for a very long wait to get this service back to how it was when it first launched - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 20 of 27

Jump to: