Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom XL2 Sat Nav Stolen at 8.00 pm on 16 May 2011.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom XL2 Sat Nav Stolen at 8.00 pm on 16 May 2011.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bijusha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XL2 Sat Nav Stolen at 8.00 pm on 16 May 2011. Reply with quote

Make : Tom Tom
Model : XL2 IQ ERoutes Edition
Serial No: GJ5430F00272

Stolen from my car parked in front of my house. Driver side door glass was smashed and hence had to be replaced.

It is really unfortunate that Tom Tom help these flipping thieves by not doing anything to trace these sat navs once they are stolen.. probably, it is part of their business model .. they want more sat naves to be stolen and hence sales can be pushed up in this unethical way .. so share holders happy .. company directors happy ... employees can be made happy by offering them bonuses ... E-bay is another organisation who works hand-in-hand with robbers . I do not think they have any controls to monitor these professional burglars !
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins enable you to pin protect your satnav, isn't that the same with tomtom? That way if it is stolen it's useless. Tomtom have no way of 'tracing' it once it's stolen, it's a receiver not a transmitter.

Course it could be argued that the best way to stop your satnav being pinched from your car is to remove it, but that's a tad too late for you now Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom pin is not secure, the security factor is never leave it available to be stolen (I lost my side window outside the house with just the mounts left in there). Is it different with Garmin?

Now that there are Live TT models (with SIM included), they really should include a feature to at least send a remote signal to disable/wipe those devices, as per iPhone.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
they really should include a feature to at least send a remote signal to disable/wipe those devices, as per iPhone.
Does this mean the iPhones are not stolen any more? Shocked Surely it only means that they become a doorstop for the stealees Sad Good that they can't sell it on if it's been disabled, but probably won't stop the original stealing.

But all this does not help bijusha Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin's PIN protection is no more useful than TomToms and your average thief neither knows nor cares. They will smash your window for 50p in loose change if they can see it.

The only solution, is not to leave valuables of any sort in an unattended vehicle.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some identification stickers etc from Immobilise, who run an on-line inventory scheme. I'm hoping that with a couple of clearly visible stickers in prominent places, like where the satnav mount goes, only the really illiterate and stupid thieves will still be tempted. Probably they are in the majority unfortunately, but so far, so good.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I bought some identification stickers etc from Immobilise, who run an on-line inventory scheme. I'm hoping that with a couple of clearly visible stickers in prominent places, like where the satnav mount goes, only the really illiterate and stupid thieves will still be tempted. Probably they are in the majority unfortunately, but so far, so good.

They may help recovery but I fear they will have very little impact on the theft itself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: