Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Size in mb of updates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Size in mb of updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Size in mb of updates? Reply with quote

I have relatively slow, data limited dongle-connected Internet access (always on the move!) so big downloads an issue.

Can any user let me know how large are the updates - those four new maps in a year things? At the moment I have western europe, but that, says my TT Home needs upgrading. And that's 2gb.

I can I think get that separately on an sd card but I'm not sure it'll come at the discounted price as if you take up the maps update service.

Anyone any info/advice?

Tim
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full Western Europe is around 2.4GB now and I guess the next one will be slightly larger. You really have choice of the map update service with 4 maps per year or buying a full new map every few years. I have not seen new maps supplied on SD cards for a long time, but I have never bought them this way or looked for them, so they might still be available.

As to the downloads, you want to go to a friends house or somones office with a LAN or WiFi internet and download it there. Over a 3G dongle you might have problems or costs depending on your service. Forget it on a 2G dongle.

Another possilbe solution if you have the map update service is to get someone else's map download on a CD from them then start your own download as it seems to download the key/authentication file first.

There are not that many obvious differences between each map release so it really depends if you have any issues with the map you have. I still occasionally use my old TT Navigator on the PDA and the 4/5 year old maps still get me to most places I want to go.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't recall ever seeing a TT map on a 4Gb card. Most devices can't handle more than 2 Gb on a standard sd card, and this would require a 4Gb sdhc card.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Can't recall ever seeing a TT map on a 4Gb card. Most devices can't handle more than 2 Gb on a standard sd card, and this would require a 4Gb sdhc card.

All the newer devices (I think from x20's onwards) have a bootloader which can handle SDHC's so many use a large (even 8 or 16Gb card) for extra maps

PS The work/truck map comes on a 4Gb card
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have TomTom truck on a 4gb card in my 730Go. However I'm selling my truck! The card is about two years old.

Thanks Mr T, I reckon I'll do as you say and update every couple of years. TomTom are selling western europe on a 4gb card for just under £70.

Tim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current IQ Routes editions of Europe and US maps on SD card are being supplied on 4GB micro SDHC (with an adapter to full size)

E.g.
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/maps-sd-cards/map-on-microsd-card-europe-iq-routes-v8.60/

But owners of Gox00, Go x10 and early ONE models can still get the non-IQ routes editions on a 2GB SD card)

E.g.
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/maps-sd-cards/map-on-sd-western-europe-v8.60/
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
Thanks Mr T, I reckon I'll do as you say and update every couple of years. TomTom are selling western europe on a 4gb card for just under £70.

Just be aware that the version sold on the SD card is a old version (8.60 as opposed the current 8.65, 8.70 in a few days).

Tomtom is trying to discontinue selling maps via SD cards: it's an expensive distribution method, difficult to keep up to date.

BTW downloading 2-2.5 GB via a good 3G connection is not so bad: just make sure you have good coverage and it's not a busy time ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: