Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed by a newcomer to hand held GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed by a newcomer to hand held GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Help needed by a newcomer to hand held GPS Reply with quote

Let me quickly explain that the world of Sat/Nav is not new to me, having used a portable car based system for some years. But I made the mistake recently of joining a friend on a geocaching trip, which was good fun. The trouble is that the next thing I know is that my daughter (well wife really) has bought me a Garmin Extrex Summit HC for my birthday and I'm expected to take them all out for a walk next Sunady with my new toy Shocked

Well I've switched it on, learnt how to use the compass, and now know my house is 228 feet above sea level and that's it. I've looked at the maps shipped with the machine (Base map) which certainly lives up to its name as basic. But I am now struggling.

Is there anywhere on the web where I could find an idiot's guide to using a handheld GPS, (not a Garmin buy our super duper latest machine with mapping of Obama's left nostril) which will explain how to use a fairly basic machine and what I can expect to achieve. Also what additional mapping I might need.

You can imagine the pressure I'm under - Dad always knows about technology so he's taking 12 year old daughter (and friends) on a walk with his new machine. I think somehow I will have to pack the trusty old Silvia & OS if I'm not going to get lost in the wilds of the Chiltern Downs.

Tazz
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar model. You can get free maps that are far more detailed than the basemap at:

http://www.talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

and download a better manual than you would have got with your purchase at:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf

If you have any specific queries after that post back and I'll try to help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed by a newcomer to hand held GPS Reply with quote

Tazz070299 wrote:
I think somehow I will have to pack the trusty old Silvia & OS

Thats a good idea, if the GPS packed up, was damaged etc you need the back up system, not essential when you know the area but the map and compass should always be carried.

For your first few trips out with the new toy try to go somewhere you have been before and know, this way you can get used to the unit without having to rely upon it 100% - Mike
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and the hyperlinks.

Once downloaded it looks like I'll be testing my new-found knowledge with a trip to Tescos later. Laughing

I can then try something a little bit more ambitious tomorrow before I ready msyelf for the "Dad's always right" trip into the uncharted wilds of the Chiltern rainforests and jungles around Amersham.

Must remember to pack my machete and anti-venom! Very Happy

Tazz[/code]
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck ... hope you make it back out Laughing Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure a compass is really needed for a spot of geocaching Mike!

As for using it, it's all pretty simple, especially for geocaching. Input the co-ordinates of your chosen geocache and save them as a POI or waypoint.

Then you configure the GPS to guide you to that waypoint, often called GOTO. Forget the basics of a car/street nav. This is as the crow flies stuff. So you use it as a guide, following trails and paths to get you to the cache location.

Once you are at the site, you have to use your Mark1 eyeballs to locate the cache itself, often very well hidden. GPS will only get you to within a few meters of the hide spot.

Garmin have a handy Introduction To Geocaching manual which covers the basics quite nicely.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: