Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again John, I am certainly very happy with the £275 deal. I just hope it's pukka because it's a huge saving on the Memory Map price. I've already had an email this morning (sent at 7:10 am) to say it's shipped and I hadn't realised it was the GB 50k version too. Memory Map are selling that for £380, so with the battery that would be £410.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harco wrote:
There's an excellent offer on Amazon - £275 plus a spare battery for the standard version.
Hi harco,

I'm slightly puzzled from which supplier you've purchased the 3500.

On my Amazon.uk list, the 3500 with GB mapping starts at £269.99 plus £5.10 shipping but does not mention a "free" battery and is from a "just launched" seller (so no feedback) who might be selling just one as a private sale. The next on the list is £299.00 (free shipping) and does mention a free battery. Positive feedback is a slightly worrying 90% but the last few "negatives" do look rather unjustified, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

None of the sellers now appear to be claiming it has v4.12 firmware and there was a post on the MM forum that one sold as such (via Amazon?) did NOT have the latest upgrade applied.

Do you have another link, or do you have an additional discount method or are excluding VAT?

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan - I ordered mine from Satnav Warehouse. I've had another look and it's now priced at £299. I've only been invoiced for the £275 though and it's due to be delivered (free) by Fedex on the 20th.

Also the seller saying they had 4.12 when I originally looked is no longer claiming that. I'm pretty sure they're still on the list - I think it was either SuStuu or Foot-Steps Direct (and when I looked a few days ago their price was £299). Until now I hadn't realised that prices for things like this change from day to day on Amazon.

I was slightly concerned about the feedback but as you say the negative comments didn't seem to amount to much. I figured for the size of the saving it was worth taking the risk - especially with it being through Amazon. I'll let you know how I get on if you're interested.
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 3500 has arrived already! I'm delighted with it. So far. I can't find an SD card but other than that it seems like the real thing. The box and packaging appears all to be original and brand new. I've got all the accessories and a disk with full UK 50k mapping. I've registered and licensed MM on my PC but because I haven't got a micro SD card yet I can't license the 3500. I've ordered one and it should arrive in the next couple of days.

I nearly made a mistake - I took the micro SD card out of my phone and installed it in the 3500, just to see how it worked. It was only when I was trying to figure out the arcane mysteries of MM licensing that I realised I was limited to 2 SD cards and I didn't want my phone card to be one of them.

Oh the other thing is that when I look at the Information screen it says under software version (MenuLauncher :V4.12). It has the screen lock option so I guess I've got the updated version. Quite amazing for the price. Even without the SD card - though I will be contacting Satnav Warehouse about that. Can't wait for the card to arrive to try it out properly but it seems a really well made piece of kit.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi harco,

Thanks for the information, yes you seem to have got a bargain.

AFAIK, it should have come with a 4GB micro SD card with the all-GB map in a single .QC3 format file. But this file is locked to the SD card so cannot be copied to another card.

What I would be interested to know is if the GB map on the DVD is in only a large .QCT file, or in the .QC3 format (which actually has a tiny .QCT file asociated with it). Either should work on a PC, but the .QC3 format is license-managed for only one PC (and one mobile device like the Adventurer).

A .QCT format file can be installed on a second PC, but to use on a mobile device it must be "cut" into files of less than 400MB each.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contacted Satnav Warehouse who responded almost immediately, apologised and said they'll ask MM (who should have included the card in the device) for a replacement card and send it on on to me. I have to say I'm exceptionally impressed by their service and price.

In answer to your question about the file on the DVD Alan, it is one big (2.98GB) qct file.
harco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the card yesterday but I didn't need it as much as I thought as by then I was already up and running. I'm well impressed by the ad3500 and will be off into the wet mountains later today to properly put it through it's paces.

I do realise this is a Satmap forum so I'll retreat to the Memory Map one now but before I do I'd just like to say many thanks to John and Mike for your invaluable help. And a few last words of praise for Satnav Warehouse. Their price and service was exceptional and I'd highly recommend them to anyone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: