Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why do TomTom make it so difficult to upgrade maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do TomTom make it so difficult to upgrade maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Why do TomTom make it so difficult to upgrade maps? Reply with quote

I had ignored a couple of offers to upgrade my map, but, as I am soon going on holiday to France, I decided to do it. My backups say that I last upgraded in September.

But all the September problems are still there, plus a few more !

I remembered that the new software version caused problems, so was suspicious when TomTome Home wanted to force the upgrade. So I had to downgrade TomTom Home. I also remembered that the previous map upgrade deleted favourites, but they have been safely stored in a POI category since the last upgrade.

But, as last time, I lost all the spoken warnings of speed cameras - and there are about 70 of them to be reinstated individually. I also lost the Home destination and the "recent places" - annoying but not life-ending.

The new problem is that all the spoken speed camera warnings are ended with a double trumpet blast (no, not a blast; quieter than that).

Hasn't TomTom learnt anything over the past nine months?

And, please, how easy is it to get rid of those trumpets?

I almost feel like telling TomTom that their product is of "non-merchantable quality", but, for a lot of the time, it is wonderful.

BW

Frustrated of Hampton Wick (aka Philip)
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Petrol stations. Reply with quote

.... and then, seeing that my files were a couple of years old and that your files were much newer, I downloaded the POIs for Shell and BP petrol stations (Ultimate and V-Power - fantastic stuff).

But the local stations are still mis-placed. (I haven't yet been past the BP station in Chessington, which used to be over half a mile off position.)

Haven't Shell and BP learnt anything, either?

Grrrrr !!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a backup copy of your TomTom before updating the map (as recommended)? If so, you can restore the mapsettings.cfg file from the map folder of the backup to your device, and this will cure many of the problems described in your first post.

As for the POIs - are you referring to the files downloaded from this PGPSW site? I would be surprised if Shell or BP had anything to do with the location of petrol stations in these files. However, you can correct them yourself - for your own benefit and for others using the site. Look at the Submit POIs page, and help us all out; it's a community effort.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've not had these problems since they updated both the Home software and maps to support the keeping of the map settings. It just all works nicely now. I think it was working last September but maybe that was when it switched. Hopefully next time all will be easy for you.

Hmm, maybe worth mentioning that I'm on the new firmware, and maybe that was needed to fix it.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Daggers. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have a full Windows backup. When I last upgraded the map, someone here suggested restoring a particular file, but it didn't work. I shall have a go this time, though, now that you have given me the name of the file again. Thanks.

The petrol station files are the ones that I found on this site, but the originals came from the BP and Shell web sites. It is, of course, fairly easy to correct the files by deleting the wrong locations and adding new ones as you are parked in the petrol station, but why should I have to do it?

I didn't know about the Submit POIs page; once I have made the corrections, I shall submit them. Perhaps, then, your files will be more accurate than the manufacturers'. Don't the tanker drivers use them for deliveries and report errors?

There is always someting to learn here, despite TomTom.

P
Gmt_Plus1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yquem59 wrote:
I didn't know about the Submit POIs page; once I have made the corrections, I shall submit them. .......
P

Hi Yquem, If you'd like to save yourself some work I'd suggest correcting them on the POI submissions map first and then downloading the new file onto your SatNav a few days later. If you go to this sites POI submission map, switch to Google Street View and then re-position the faulty locations I'm sure that would be the easiest way for you to update the POI's.

However, don't forget to position the POI's on the ROAD and not the forecourts as some SatNavs don't navigate to off-road destinations.

Good luck and post back if you would like more info.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like good advice. I would otherwise have recorded the corrected positions parked in the petrol station, i.e. off the road.

With Google Street View, I can see the petrol station (but, presumably, Shell and BP haven't got such advanced technology).

It won't be this weekend, but I shall report back on what I have done.

Philip
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any answers, please, to my double trumpet at the end of announced speed cameras?

Philip
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yquem59 wrote:
Any answers, please, to my double trumpet at the end of announced speed cameras?

Philip

Can you check your settings?
First go to Manage pois / Warn when near. Check for a couple of the pgpsw categories what sound file you have opted for (assuming you are using the proper «sounds folder» method). If you are using the older «same file name» method you`ll need to set it up again.

Next, go to Safety settings and ensure the warnings for TomToms own cams are turned off - leaving those switched on by accident is the most likely reson for double warnings.

By the way, you`re complaining that TT still haven`t sorted out the map updates so you don`t lose settimgs. Well they have done - for v9 software. If you still have adevice on v8 software it wont have improved..
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. I shall look at those.

So v9 software now works. Wasn't this the version that gave all the problems last September? Or is it now v9andabit?

Are you now saying that the latest version of Home (with forced download of v9) and the latest version of the device software can be used safely and that subsequent map upgrades won't restore the factory settings? Blimey ! TomTom must have been reading this forum.

Thanks again.

Philip
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phillip.
There have been several flavours of v9 software now.
I`ve been using v9.058 on my 940 for yonks now with no problems. Having said that,I think v9.110 has just been released and I`ve not had achance to try that yet.

If you want to take things slowly,there are ways round the forced update issue in Home. Have a look in the Home forum section for more details.

And of course if you have a good backup, you can always backtrack if you don`t like the changes,but I would definitely give v9 a try.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I crossed my fingers, took the plunge and upgraded everything that TomTom wanted. I expected the two software upgrades (Home and 740), but didn't expect a new map, as I had one last week.

It all went perfectly, with the results indicated in my amended signature.

I restored the backup copy of mapsettings.cfg (is that what I mean? I can't refer to the old messages while writing this) and now have all my old "previous destinations" and spoken warnings, without the trumpet. The only thing missing was a warning of the spec cameras at the M3/M25 junction, which is probably my fault (I haven't checked yet).

So TomTom once again get a pass mark. But not 100%, though: at the top right-hand corner of Home it still says "You haven't updated your map for X days", but I have updated it twice in a week.

Thanks to everyone here for your help.

BW

Philip
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yquem59 wrote:
at the top right-hand corner of Home it still says "You haven't updated your map for X days", but I have updated it twice in a week.

That always seems to happen with a new map until there are some MapShare corrections available for it.

Daft.... but that's the way it is. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: