Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT7 (Using Long/Lat co ordinates.)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT7 (Using Long/Lat co ordinates.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: TT7 (Using Long/Lat co ordinates.) Reply with quote

I shall be visiting a number of camp sites in Spain and Portugal shortly and never having navigated by Long/Lat, I just want to make sure I've got this right.
On my TT display, shows the following Lat format ;
N 50(degrees) 50.201'
The first campsite in the book says:
N 40(degrees)58'30''
How do insert this into TT ?
i.e. TT uses . and ' the guide book says use ' and ''
(If you see what I mean.)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you have all the same options in Navigator, but on the hardware TomToms you can enter and set the display of coordinates in all three of the normal methods

d.ddd ("degrees and decimal degrees")

d,m.m ("degrees, minutes and decimal minutes")

d,m,s, ("degrees, minutes and seconds")

Each degree can be split up into 100 decimal parts, or it can be split up into 60 "minutes", and each minute can be split into 100 decimal parts or into 60 "seconds"

You can choose between the three systems in one one of the pages in Change Preferences / Set Units, and you can opt to have the coordinates showing on the "Browse map" screen by selecting "Options" at the bottom of that screen.

Another thing to remember is that TomTom uses N, S, E, W for the coordinates, but other sites (such as Google Maps) use "+" and "-" , so South or West coordinates have a minus sign instead. i.e. "N52.12345,W2.67890" is the same as "53.12345,-2.67890"

But if you CAN'T do it all on the TT Navigator screen, then there are several websites which can do all the conversions for you.
One I use is Nearby.og Coordinate Converter which can also convert from OS grid references etc. to Lat/Long. (or use here for the quick Lat/Long entry page).
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start Google Earth and go to Tools/Options chnage Show Lat/Long to Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. Find the places you wish to visit and hover the 'hand' over e.g entrance to the site. Make a note or copy direct to TT the co-ords shown at the bottom of the screen.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

You guys never cease to amaze me...thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest... were you able to switch between the different "number styles" in Navigator itself?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Other Options Reply with quote

Actually, playing around I found a further 3 settings, under 'Set Units.'(which still do not mean too much to me !)
1.Degrees (d.d degree)
2. Minutes (d degree m.m' )
3. Seconds (d degree m's" )
I think I would still be happier by following the address....the last thing I want is my wife 'having a go' with a van on the back and struggling to find the entrance. To be honest, in Portugal last year this is what I did, and I found each site with no problems, apart from one, which turned out to have closed down.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find one of the sites in Google Earth and place a 'pin' just inside the entrance gate.

Hover the 'hand over the placemark (pin) and it will 'grow' slightly.

Make a note of the co-ords at the bottom of the screen.

Go to Tools/Options and change to one of the other formats, hover the 'hand' etc as above and make a note of the co-ords.

Do the same with the third and fourth choices and use the one best suited to you and TT.

I've often found the co-ords given by campsites or other POI's are for the centre of the site, which is OK unless there are other roads nearby or the road is closer to the site itself rather than the entrance, Dover Castle is a good example, use the co-ords given and you'll miss the entrance.

Practice with a few POI's near where you live which will give you confidence when you go on tour. If your wife is worried you can borrow mine, I could do with a rest. Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: