Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dutch Police Use TomTom Data To Place Speed Traps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dutch Police Use TomTom Data To Place Speed Traps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am i thinking pot ...kettle? Surprised
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if TomTom's Live service actually gives route timings based on these actual average (excessive) traffic speeds ... might they be held to be encouraging speeding? Cool Shocked
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that IQ route timings are actually incorporating data from motorists who speed? I'd have thought it should be filtered so that no journey time can be less than one completed at the legal speed limit. The fact that NL police can use it this way must mean it is dodgy.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Does this mean that IQ route timings are actually incorporating data from motorists who speed? I'd have thought it should be filtered so that no journey time can be less than one completed at the legal speed limit.

The data that is captured will have real world averages for every road.
The data used to for IQ routes and that is used in calculating a route would use those averages together with the legal permitted speeds.
Quote:
The fact that NL police can use it this way must mean it is dodgy.

I presume that the data they would have access to is the raw average speed data before it is re-packaged and re-purposed for use in route calculation/IQ routes.
andy1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody want to buy a tomtom.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galvany wrote:
Sorry folks, but some of you accepting this are pretty naive. And whilst they've apologised, I cannot imagine that someone in TomTom did not envisage this would happen with the data.

Or perhaps TomTom people are as naive as you'd paint others - people tend to be rather blinkered about alternative "uses" of their data/applications
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the TomTom safety camera warnings will now be more accurate there?
Galvany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's only used against motorists if they break the law Rolling Eyes

Using your argument, every piece of information logged about you should be used against you/others every time you break the law (or risk breaking the law). Data from your car's ECU should be downloaded every time you take it in for a service/repair, consolidated and used to support the law enforcement agencies against all drivers on your routes and with your car model.

Let's go beyond cars. We could consolidate information from cyclists (there are enough cameras to plot the extent to which cyclists obey the law in Central London, including following some cyclists). Start applying automatic fines to those who can be identified as breaking the law no matter what the circumstances. Some of that already exists for cars - some cameras in certain Central London locations are designed/located to target waiting cars in drop off areas, and fines are issued no matter what - even when there is no hazard or obstruction for anyone.

Your argument is akin to - "no harm done yet" and "nothing to fear if you're not breaking the law".

If you drive a car in the UK, can you assure me/us that you have never broken any laws? If you're a pedestrian user of GPS systems, can you assure us you've never trespassed on anyone's land? Would the consolidation of that data by TomTom on hikers be acceptable for use by the law enforcement agencies, or by private enterprises looking to trap hikers?

Though your post amused me, the implications are not funny at all.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I presume that the data they would have access to is the raw average speed data before it is re-packaged and re-purposed for use in route calculation/IQ routes.

I thought TT were selling data to assist with congestion management/emissions reduction. Why would they be selling raw data - they must know the implications of that? I need to untick the box TT Home displays about consenting to their collecting anonymised data from my device(s).
Kia In-dash Tomtom
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
It's only used against motorists if they break the law Rolling Eyes

But they're still wasting valuable time and money analysing data supplied free of charge by unwitting motorists in order that they can target areas that will give the best £4£ return, rather than targeting areas that have more accidents. They don't need data to discover the latter just the evidence of their own eyes, to quote the old cliché 'Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills'. Police forces are often noted for targeting areas where it's easy to catch motorists and not necessarily areas that are noted for accidents!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills'
True, but travelling above the speed limit surely needs some special skill as to whether it is appropriate? Are the speeders to be relied upon, by the rest of us using the same road, to be skilled judges (not the ones I've seen)? And speed limits are sometimes there for 'calming' reasons too, as well as pure safety, of course.

But '£4£' apart (we'll always have that moan) doesn't it actually make sense (we pay for these things in the end) to put speed checks in where endemic speeding is taking place, rather than where there is just the odd motorist surfing?

Accidents are 'data' just as speeding is. Polices' 'own eyes' aren't everywhere all the time - I would certainly agree with an effort to match the two when deciding on camera siting.

And this data IS anonymous, NOT a spy on individuals' freedoms (to endanger the rest of us, it would seem sometimes). Just like insurance data - I might object to moves to penalise individuals on the basis of personal medical risk, but not to the use of anonymous lifetime statistics to spread the risk costs. I would hope that this data IS sold to the police, NOT donated - brings costs down to the satnav customer (ideally Rolling Eyes ). AS LONG AS THEY MAKE IT CLEAR.

Yes, of course people are free to opt out if they are unhappy, but I bet they will be quick to complain about the usefulness of Live services if everyone else does the same Razz !
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/tomtom-admits-to-sending-your-routes-and-speed-information-to-the-police-50003618/
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Related:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/tomtom-admits-to-sending-your-routes-and-speed-information-to-the-police-50003618/

As I posted on Page 1. And full of inaccuracies and wild claims.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
I wonder if the TomTom safety camera warnings will now be more accurate there?

Clap Like it! Do you do standup comedy too? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I ought to defend CNET - a really useful site I use a lot. But I did love one quote, which MUST have been from the guy that runs it (I'm not showing MY photo Confused )
Quote:
Will our refrigerators start monitoring how many pies we've eaten?
He's even bigger than me Razz

If one could suspend disbelief briefly, I think this is valid though
Quote:
to place speed cameras at dangerous locations where the average speed is higher than the legally allowed speed limit

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: