Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: WARNING Reply with quote

The Tomtom bluetooth GPS does NOT come with a docking station nor a in-car plug anymore.
Just recieved mine yesterday, and the only way to charge it, is to take it with me inside the house, and plug it into the 220V outlets.
Come-on Tomtom, that is just too crazy, to ship it without a charger for the car.
Checked with Tomtom, an it seems that it is correct:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/content.php?ID=238&Section=1546&Language=1

"If you look at the picture 4 in this website you should have all 4 items."
Evil or Very Mad
Regards, Kim
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly they assume you'll be connecting it to their Car-Kit which has a power outlet to charge the BT Rx.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on the box there will be a label with a bar code on it that has a picture of what is included and not included. The label part marked "Content" shows icons of the CD, BT receiver and 220V power adaptor. The label part marked "Not Included" shows icons with a red cross of the SD/MMC, Connection Cable, Holder and Pocket PC.

My box had a cable with an RJ11 type connector inside with the other end to fit the BT unit.

The Seidio G2500 car kit also has a suitable power output. The cable supplied with the TT bluetooth with an RJ11(12?) plug fits this unit as well.

Additionally IPAQ car chargers with the barrel type plug also work on the TT unit.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the products on that link appear to include the little silver docking cradle that I have, and is shown in this picture (top right):
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that little silver docking cradle is the thing that made the tomtom bluetooth gps stand out from the others. when hardwired to the ignition, the docking cradle automatically turns on the gps receiver on ignition, and turns it off when the engine is stopped. i really can't understand why tomtom stopped including it.

users might be able to get this if they send tomtom an e-mail, indicating how much they would like to hardwire the gps receiver.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
None of the products on that link appear to include the little silver docking cradle that I have.

TomTom stopped supplying the cradle earlier this year, they claimed that it was the cause of many of the failures although we don't think this was the case.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pity, beacuse the cradle provides mechanical as well as magnetic adhesion.

My wife's car -- Pug 206CC -- has a heat reflective windscreen. It has an area near the rear-view mirror without the heat-reflective stuff, so you can put DART tags and the suchlike on there. I have the cradle stuck on there upside down, so I can clip the GPS into it. OK, so the receiver's actually upside down but that doesn't seem to make any difference to its reception abilities.

If it was only attached magnetically I think it would probably fall off going over bumps. Not good if the roof's down. The only other place to put it is between the roll hoops at the rear, but again if it was just connected magnetically I reckon it would fall off in the airstream Sad

I only use the cradle to charge it when it runs out of charge, otherwise I have a big cable dangling down the windscreen. If I'd wanted that, I could have stuck with a wired receiver.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: