Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what sat nav for iPhone 4 for basic use, not use that often.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what sat nav for iPhone 4 for basic use, not use that often.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I probably agree TT is the best, but for what I use it, ie not all the time just on family trips out etc, I wouldn't buy the HD traffic etc.

Does Sygic on an iPhone get updates using 3G data, about traffic and send it to the app? ie "free" as such traffic updates or anything?

So now you say you can get custom POIs on Sygic on a non jailbroken iPhone, so should I not just get the iPhone version as no advantage over the Win Mob version now?
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am talking about TomTom, not used Sygic somebody else will have to comment on how that works.

Although just updated my iphone to TomTom 1.7 and it appears to have broken the custom POIs again, they are working but only show as red squares.

Last edited by st1967 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in the process of loading my iPhone4 with the v1,7 released today then I can have a play but I have seen other reports that the third party POI work around has been made a challenge yet again....

Once/ If I get anywhere I will update the original thread containing the instructions, just a thought but have they made it work with files saved as pure png type rather than simply re-named?? - Thats going to be my first port of call - Mike
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew you would be on the case Mike, I've posted it in the TomTom Software forum too.

I will try that myself as I'm all loaded up, I've an old version of Paint Shop Pro that should do the trick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do try that make sure the app isn't running in the background when you load the new icon fomat files otherwise the old ones will still display as they will be in memory - Mike
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Once/ If I get anywhere I will update the original thread containing the instructions, just a thought but have they made it work with files saved as pure png type rather than simply re-named?? - Thats going to be my first port of call - Mike

Good call Mike, most are working as proper PNG files, a couple still showing as Red though (Aldi from the PGPSW POI list?) but I guess this is because of the BMP / PNG file differences, I will have a more detailed look.

I only used the batch conversion component in Paint Shop Pro though.

Mike: Not wanting to hijack this thread as it's really loc-mans the PNG files need to be 24 Bits Per Pixel true PNG files. The non working ones are only 8 BPP? There is a thread in the TomTom software only forum
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so if this is right then means TT are actively trying to stop the loading of POIs, if they get round this version can imagine they update again to stop it.

So is it still possible with Sygic to load POIs? What happens about the PGW camera if the Sygic has camera database already though? Wont they clash?

Also apparently TT and Sygic on iPhone are very similiar apps, apart from price obviously?
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I can't comment on Sygic as never used it on the iphone.

Who knows what TomTom's thinking is about custom POIs?

However custom POIs using the diskaid method are working fine again now after iPhone 1.7 update, but the icons need to be native PNG files (with 24 Bits per pixel colour depth) to work.

Not a real problem I just used the freeware irfanview graphics program to convert mine.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Third Party POI files reside on the iPhone within there own respective app, there is no sharing of POI data from a central storage point.

You can still install third part POI files to the Sygic Mobile Maps app but to do this requires the POI download translating in to a Sygic specific file type before employing DiskAid to tranfrer the files to the teir respective folders, you then configure the alerts within the app on the iPhone.

With the TomTom app you add the ov2 and icon files to the active map folder and a pre-configured mapsettings.cfg file to a different folder within the app.

The change to 24 bit png files is a logical step that actually makes sense, the previous versions having to use bmp files renamed as png was bizzare to say the least (I only stumbled on it by making a mistake while playing with DiskAid) - Mike
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

You can still install third part POI files to the Sygic Mobile Maps app but to do this requires the POI download translating in to a Sygic specific file type before employing DiskAid to tranfrer the files to the teir respective folders, you then configure the alerts within the app on the iPhone.

Is there instructions for doing his, Sygic iPhone custom POIs, anywhere please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are instructions for installing speed cameras to Sygic Mobile maps and instructions for installing speed cameras to the TomTom app, to get the idea of whats required read them both - I could always write some up on that day later in the week when the TV won't be switched on......

Mike
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that MM is going to "become" aura on iPhone anyway (Win Mob not getting update).

So Aura on App store for Uk is £6.99 on sale at mo, whereas MM is £9.99 on sale at mo.

but it then states that MM is becoming aura and a free update will be for all iOS users. So whats the point in me buying MM now for 9.99 if very soon it becomes aura (which is 6.99?!?

Also MM is 350Mb, whereas Aura is 750Mb, double the size. Thats a big chunk of memory storage for me on my 16Gb iPhone, too much really.

Whats difference between MM and aura then? Aura looks prettier suppose with 3D building etc, not that I'm bothered though.

Now I dont know what to do! TT and Co-Pilot only for UK are about 350Mb, but obviously cost a lot more...

**wow Aura UK at one time Aug '10 cost £50, its now £7 - thats a price drop, begs the question why... its been dropped in price 5 times since Mar '11 to!?!**
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got make a decision today, offer endsnon 28th. Anyone comment on my post above please

Cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic Aura is crap that's why. We can only hope that Sygic fix the areas in which it it so poor when they merge the two products.
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Sygic Aura is crap that's why. We can only hope that Sygic fix the areas in which it it so poor when they merge the two products.

Decision might have been made, it's back up to £23 even though still says sale to 28th!!! I've emailed them about it.

So you wouldn't recommend Aura then, why what's so crap please? Read about the poor time ETAs etc.

So now I've missed it, looks like decision is MM for Win Mob although won't be updates, or Copilot for iPhone which is £17, or Sygic MM for £10 on iPhone although I'm sure MM is to become Aura anyway in iPhone, is this correct?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: