Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert draining battery on HTC desire HD
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert draining battery on HTC desire HD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlyn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always exit the program using menu then exit on cameralert
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's a Desire and a Wildfire with this issue. Have just ran the latest app on my ZTE Blade, on battery and after 30mins it has dropped from 88% to 83%.

We'll look into this issue further to see what is the cause.

Are you both running this with a charger?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another, less convenient way of exiting the application. Press the tracking button to make sure it is NOT green, then press the Back button.

In either case you will want to watch the GPS icon. If it keeps showing after you exited CamerAlert then it means some process still keeps the GPS occupied (which is the biggest battery drain I can think of). Make sure you also deselect "Use network location" unless you really feel you need that.

By the way, you can also force the GPS hardware off via one of the settings widgets that you can place on the screen.

CamerAlert will always appear as one of the top battery consumers, but that just means that while it is running it uses the GPS extensively. If you'd run CamerAlert and TomTom (...) in parallel all the time you'd see an even distribution etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
CamerAlert will always appear as one of the top battery consumers, but that just means that while it is running it uses the GPS extensively. If you'd run CamerAlert and TomTom (...) in parallel all the time you'd see an even distribution etc.

I agree but according to my battery usage i had 88% cameralert and 3% for mobile maps 10. I was using a griffin usb car charger and also ensured i toggled the gps off using a widget.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are requesting GPS updates as often as possible. Most likely the other program limits itself to once every five seconds or so.

Does your phone have a "Battery use" widget in the "About phone" settings? On my Nexus One it shows nicely which function contributes most to the battery drain. You'll be able to check that the GPS is truly off etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Does your phone have a "Battery use" widget in the "About phone" settings? On my Nexus One it shows nicely which function contributes most to the battery drain. You'll be able to check that the GPS is truly off etc.

yes the data was in my original post. here it is again,

3hr 23m since unplugged
Cameralert 88% usage with on duration of 19mins
Mobile maps 10 3% usage with on duration of 26 mins.
Android system 3%
Cell standby 2%
Wifi 2%
Display 2%

I used it again today and the usage appeared normal and equal to mobile maps but exiting it through app did not shut it down. I had to force close it through manage applications. I dont remember having to do this before.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the alternative I mentioned? Via GPS unlock and back button? Did the GPS icon disappear?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Did you try the alternative I mentioned? Via GPS unlock and back button? Did the GPS icon disappear?

Just tried that, then checked to see if app was still running and force stop button is lit i.e. it is not greyed out and app is running. The gps is still running after the force stop but i expected that anway.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android. Exiting an application doesn't mean much, the operating system will keep the application around "just in case".

However, the GPS still running is more worrisome, especially after the force close. That means you have a second program that uses the GPS. Nothing we can do against that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
teb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Android. Exiting an application doesn't mean much, the operating system will keep the application around "just in case".

However, the GPS still running is more worrisome, especially after the force close. That means you have a second program that uses the GPS. Nothing we can do against that.

Very Happy It seems to have a mind of its own. It shut down ok last when I used your method. I`ll monitor its behaviour over the next few days in any case. Thanks.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've noticed on my desire 2.2 is the following.

No GPS apps running. Turn on CA and it says 'starting GPS', but nothing happens. I have to go to settings and start manually. CA then works fine - no maps or anything, just CA running in background.

I then exit CA using the menu and exit on CA. GPS icon disapears and I press back button to get back to home page.
However GPS is still running, I have to go back into settings and turn off manually.

Not a problem, but I've not been getting the battery drain other have experienced.

Bob
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 253

Quote:
However GPS is still running, I have to go back into settings and turn off manually.

Have GPS switched on but not in use will not use any power.

It the same as with WiFi. it will use less power left on and not in use [ie. Home], then switching it off and on, because it will use more power to reconnect by having to search for a connection.

Take Care
TheQuest Cool
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheQuest wrote:
Hi 253

Quote:

Have GPS switched on but not in use will not use any power.

It the same as with WiFi. it will use less power left on and not in use [ie. Home], then switching it off and on, because it will use more power to reconnect by having to search for a connection.

Take Care
TheQuest Cool

Ah, right you are, I thought it might expalin the battery use by some of the posters.
But now I'm a little confused, I thought if you lef wifi on, it would continuallysacn looking to connect - and use battery. same as the 3G left on.
Or am I getting things confused??

Cheers, Bob
TheQuest
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 253

Quote:
it would continuallysacn looking to connect - and use battery. same as the 3G left on.

It has no need to continual to scan if it is already connected.

But it can also depend on what your setting are in your Rom, you should make sure that the WiFi is set to never swich off.

Wireless & network:- WiFi settings:- the press the menu button:- Advance:- WiFi sleep policy:- and check Never:- then press the menu button again:- and Save.

Now you will also need make sure you switch it off manually, because it you leave the area of the wireless access point you are connect to, then it will Automatically start to search for a new one, and continually to search until it fines a new one.

Take Care
TheQuest Cool

PS:- Make sure you do not have any apps that are persistently trying to connect, i.e. sync.
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, battery availability on my HTC Desire (not HD) plummets when using any GPS app, and the battery temperature shoots up. This is my 2nd Desire -- the first one conked in, and I suspect it had something to do with getting too hot as it crashed on 3 occasions, the only common factor which I could identify being warm weather. After the 3rd time, HTC replaces it with a new Desire, and this one uses just as much power for GPS apps gets just as hot (45C on a 45 minute trip with the device in a cool spot in the car). With car charger attached at the same time, battery heats up even faster. Very worrying.

This is not a CA problem -- it exits very cleanly from the Exit button in CA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: