Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm going to Germany......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm going to Germany......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: I'm going to Germany...... Reply with quote

.....I'm off to Germany soon and would like to take my TomTom.

Can anyone provide information about how I might get a compatable map for my Navigator3?

I've looked around and to me it seems this is not possible/not available.

TomTom have a 'full' Europe CD on their site but it's not yet being shipped.

Were there any earlier versions made?

Any solutions anyone?

Regards BJ Nottingham UK
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search on Google reveals a number of sources such as http://www.mobiledatadirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1034 so it's a bit strange that TomTom themselves don't seem to stock them.

In my view it's a bit steep to have to pay £116 for a complete set of Europe maps if you only want one country, especially as you'll probably need to buy a new CF card for your PDA which, for 256MB, will cost you another £40 to £60. It's a pity that its not possibly to legitimately download individual maps at a reasonable cost - say about £25. I'm sure there'd be a market for them.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the situation is better than it used to be - it was a few months after the launch of Navigator 2 that the "Maps of Western Europe" became available. Previous to that, you had to buy a full copy of Navigator for every map set you wanted.

The map sets are probably a large proportion of the purchase price - if you compare to data CDs/DVDs for in-car systems, you'll see that the Pocket PC market gets the maps relatively cheap (often those data discs for in-car systems are around 150 pounds, with no reduced price if you're upgrading a disc you already have).

TomTom had a few small map segments available for purchase and download for Navigator 2 on Handango - these required you already to have a copy of Navigator 2, and they covered popular holiday areas. I believe they have been updated for Navigator 3, but are not yet available to buy - they've just been made available to customers who had bought the Navigator 2 versions.

These did cost around 20 pounds, and each covered a popular holiday area.

Further, TomTom's current policies indicate that the "Maps of Western Europe" is a one-time fee, in that there was no additional upgrade charge for those who had these additional maps when upgrading from Navigator 2 to Navigator 3. Of course, though, future upgrades may involve an additional charge if you have more than a single Navigator product.

One option for a short foreign trip is to use the trial version of Mapopolis. This is free, but lasts for nine days only.

I don't know what happened to TomTom Maps-on-line - this was a subscription service that allowed you to download maps to your Pocket PC for 5 Euros a month. The software was much more limited than Navigator - it had no voice navigation, for example. The trial version is still on Handango, but I can't find any mention of it on the TomTom web site any more, so I'm not sure whether you can still subscribe.

David
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other pain is that the maps of Europe (which I've just bought) need activating, so I can't share them with my friends who have tomtom3. Fair enough I guess, but annoying as we were going to split the cost and share the maps.
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like £117 then!

Thanks Guys..

BJ Nottingham UK
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oisky wrote:
The other pain is that the maps of Europe (which I've just bought) need activating, so I can't share them with my friends who have tomtom3. Fair enough I guess, but annoying as we were going to split the cost and share the maps.

That's the whole point of activation - to stop you sharing products, which is often a euphemism for piracy.

That said - read the licence agreement carefully. If only one of you is going to have maps of Europe installed at once, you may find yourself inside the licence terms sharing. I've yet to see a definitive view on this, and, indeed, to read the licence agreement for this product (as I don't have a copy myself).

If you're OK on the licence agreement front, you may well be able to activate the same copy of Maps of Western Europe on your friend's machine after a seven day wait (be aware, after the second activation of a TomTom product, you have to wait six months before you can use the same product code to activate a third device). I suggest that if the licence agreement permits you to share the product, that you uninstall all Western Europe maps unless you have custody of the CDs, and you denote who currently has Maps of Western Europe by handing over the CDs.

I'd be interested if anyone can post the relevant part of the licence agreement for Maps of Western Europe, and whether, in the light of that licence agreement, people feel sharing in the way I've described (with whoever has physical custody of the CDs having the right to use those maps) meets that licence agreement and is both ethical and legal.

I do wonder whether TomTom would have been better going for an activation and deactivation system. This would ideally require an activation to take every possible opportunity to check its validity, but this can surely be done via Internet pass-through using ActiveSync, or, optionally, via direct Internet connectivity from the Pocket PC.

I'm not claiming such an activation and deactivation system would be trouble free, but it would arguably give advantages over the current system. For example, stolen, lost or destroyed devices could be deactivated over the web (the problem is ensuring that the deactivation goes through - hence the need for activations to check themselves, and you'd have to think what happens if you restore old backups from before the code was disabled).

If you could only have one device activated using one product code at any one time, it would prevent the temptation for people to sell their old Pocket PCs with Navigator still installed, as they wouldn't be able to leave them activated without also transferring the copy of Navigator.

You'd probably have to produce a mechanism for second hand copies of Navigator to be sold if you were going to do this - probably an online transaction that invalidates the product code being sold (and any activations on it), then generates a new product code given only to the purchaser. If you didn't do this, the seller could simply disable any activations and reactivate his or her own device!

There are potential glitches and abuses that would have to be worked out - for example, what would you do for someone that went on an extended road trip and was unable either to synchronise their Pocket PC or connect it to the Internet. However, other vendors do use an activation and deactivation scheme, so they must think it works for them.

I believe the system Audible use allows you to deactivate a device only if you have it in your possession at the time, and the activation code is removed. I don't know how this gets round restoring backups.

Another possibility that doesn't necessarily require deactivation would be the ability to buy Maps of Western Europe on a limited licence - that is, you can buy the CDs either with a perpetual licence as you do now, or a licence (and therefore an activation code) that's only valid for, say, a month (with the possibility of reactivating at a reduced cost online). You could prevent abuses of such limited licences by using GPS time to determine start and end dates.

If there was an option to buy a month's usage for 50% of the current price, with the ability thereafter to renew for a further months at 30% of the current price, or convert to a perpetual licence for 65% of the current price, would that be more attractive? I don't know whether these prices are feasible, bearing in mind TomTom's costs, but it was a thought that occurred to me.

You could refine such a system further - buying an unactivated map set for something like fifteen pounds, then buying activations online, either for the entire set, or individual countries, for periods of time or perpetually - possibly with a reduced price 'perpetual' licence fee available for any maps that you've licenced previously for a period of time.

David
joejoe123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is from the licence agreement .

1) GRANT OF LICENSE: This TomTom License Agreement ("License") permits you to use the
TomTom computer program and the digital (map) data included in the accompanying package acquired with this License on any single computer, provided the Software is installed on only one computer at any time and provided the Software is combined only with one (1) navigation system. This License is non-exclusive and non-transferable.
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've located a set of TT Nav 2 maps on e-bay.

DAK, will Nav 2 maps work with my TT3 set-up?

Regards BJ Nottingham
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry BJ, TTN2 maps won't work with TTN3! Sad

Tom
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT2 won't work on TT3......hmmmm.....that's a pain!

........what about if I purchase 'City Maps' for a reasonable £40 and use them together with my 'Major roads of Europe'?

Are there any pitfalls I've not seen in this plan?

Regards BJ Nottingham
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citymaps don't give you navigation functionality.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful purchasing TT2 maps on e-bay........I have upgraded to TT3 and have the old TT2 maps, but I would imagine TomTom would surely be disabling them via the authorisation process. When we went from TT1 to 2, we had to return the original disks.

Steve
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased TT3 Maps of Western Europe from ebuyer.com for £103.36 including VAT, plus postage of approx £3. That's the best price I've seen so far.

Also obtained a 512MB CF card from them which was listed as an Ebuyer Special Value item for £51.69 (incl VAT) with free delivery. They sent a Viking CF card which they list on their site for about £60.

Their site is well worth checking out for all computer gear not just PDA and GPS. Don't expect any presale support.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That £103 looks like £121 on my screen!

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=60214
Berisford
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.....can't even click with a mouse this am without getting it wrong!

Yes, a cracking price on E-Buyer £103 inc vat.

Apologies to Johnmar.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: