Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Repeated (same) Garmin software awaiting download ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Repeated (same) Garmin software awaiting download ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Repeated (same) Garmin software awaiting download ? Reply with quote

When I logged into My Garmin Dashboard a while back, I was advised that there was a software update waiting for my 1690.
As Dashboard does not mention what the update is, I checked on Webupdater and I saw that there were some sound files and also a "16xx help" file. Went through the usual update procedure and all seemed to go well.
When I logged in about a week later, there was an update waiting. On checking Webupdater, there was only one file, the "16xx help" file.
Thinking that perhaps an error had occured last time, I used Webupdater to download the file. Got a "Success!" messege.
However this file continues to appear on the update list every time waiting to be downloaded.
I thought there must have been a stuck cookie (?), and used another PC but same result (emailed Garmin support and got instruction on using Webupdater - no answer to my query about why this file keeps appearing).

Wonder if this has happened to others here, or anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
CK
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webupdater does appear to get stuck like this sometime. It happened to me and Garmin customer support advised to uninstall and re-install webupdater, that fixed it.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings
Thanks for your suggestion which I have just tried.

No change even after uninstalling and reinstalling Webupdater.
The 16xxx help file is still there.
I ticked to download it again (just in case).
System went through the process, and gave the Success! message.
Switched both PC and Satnav off and on.
Started Webupdater and the file is still there!

So back to the drawing board.

What is this 'help' file anyway?

Thanks and Regards
CK
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no idea as I don't have a 1690 Sad
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Reference my previous message regarding the repeated update waiting message in Webupdater and in Dashboard - even though I had already supposedly successfully downloaded the update (16xx help file).
This has been going on for nearly a year.

I think I have found the problem - might be helpful for others who come up against something similar.

In the absence of any help from Garmin support, I decided do some investigating.
When I looked in the "\Garmin\Help" directory, the other languages had separate folders, but three were missing - instead there were the three separate files for the British_English, Chinese and Czech languages.
They looked like files produced after a scan or chkdsk. Trying to open one in Notepad, produced a lot of various characters.

I renamed the the three in the "\Garmin\Help" folder by adding a "x" to the file name.

Rebooted the GPS
Reconnected to PC and logged on to Webupdater - the 16xx help file update showed up again as usual.
Went through the update process and got the usual "Success" message.
Disconnected from PC and rebooted the GPS, Reconnected to PC
Logged onto Webupdater - "No updates were found for your Garmin device" (ie atlast - no update waiting)
Logged onto Dashboard - "Your current software is up-to-date"

Checked the \Garmin\Help folder; except the "Afrikaans" and "American_English" folders, all the others had todays' date.
So I think it was these 'error' files that were causing the new update not to install (despite the "Success" in Webupdater).
SO the update had at last worked!

One more interesting point is the dates of these files.
The three 'error' files in the Help folder have a creation date of 20 June 2009 and modified date of 2nd March 2010.
Considering that I did not actually get the GPS unit till 26th March 2010 (new from Amazon) these three files in the "Garmin\Help" folder were probably already on the unit from before I got it (?).

Thoughts:
A) If this update had not kept on repeating, I'd never have found out that the update was incomplete.
B) Is there a bug in Webupdater in that it did not register that the update had not completed and kept on giving the "Success" message - at the same time kept offering the same file.
C) Do I now delete these files?
D) Also, as the modified date for the error files is 2nd March 2010 - 24 days before I actually got the GPS, is the delivery time between the Garmin manufacturer and the sellers warehouse that short?

Regards
CDK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: