Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is Using SD Card on TT720 Worthwhile ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Using SD Card on TT720 Worthwhile ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Is Using SD Card on TT720 Worthwhile ? Reply with quote

I had 143 meg on my internal memory free. Which with 2gb is a bit tight IMO. So I wondered if I added a 4gb card to the 720, moved the Western Europe maps (1.6gb) to that would help any performance issues regarding mem space...or would it make no difference at all ?

I've just done the above and without testing it seems to have made no difference, which is good as this frees up internal memory but as above, is there any point in reality ? Smile

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main benefit is if you update the map to the latest version as that won't fit on the internal memory, as an alternative TomTom offers you one of four zones, the SD/ SDHC card lets you still load the large single map rather than a zoned version - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do find moving EVERYTHING (not just the map) onto a fast SD card can make the unit run a little bit faster.

But I don't think you should worry when you say "I had 143 meg on my internal memory free. Which with 2gb is a bit tight IMO."

The TT has separate RAM for working with, so AFAIK you could fill the storage memory right up to the last byte without affecting performance.
I don't think the TT works like a PC where the storage memory (i.e. the hard drive) is used as temporary working memory.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 720 is a very versatile machine, adding an SD or SDHC card to it allows you to use its full potential by adding Photo's, Music, Documents, etc. as well as using the latest maps.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I did think the mem running out thing was an issue. Glad I was wrong. Maybe confusing with the "old" problem of TT upgrading the firmware and lots of people having a stuttering voice. What ever happened to that long running saga ?

Still no harm in putting the card in as it was only sitting around doing nothing.

Haven't posted for a while but still lurk most days and read. I have no real reason to update my UK/Western Europe map as it still does a great job but do use the map share updates. I think my firmware version is 8.351 and map v815 , touching right hand side of screen. Might update to new Western and central Europe. I assume that although TT says it won't fit on my 720 i and they will give me "zones" I can choose the full map when I actually press the but button and download to my SD card ?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have put everything on the SDHC memory card and used the device since doing this simply pop the card in to a card reader then use TomTom Home to update the map on the memory card. Doing things this way prevents TomTom Home from putting the map in the wrong memory location (something it is well know for doing) - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The TT has separate RAM for working with, so AFAIK you could fill the storage memory right up to the last byte without affecting performance.
I don't think the TT works like a PC where the storage memory (i.e. the hard drive) is used as temporary working memory.
The older units would, and I believe still do, Freeze if you tried to Navigate a Route with less than 2Mb free in the Storage Memory. It did use it in the same way as a PC.

Whether the newer units have the same problem, I don't know.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza, if you do as Mike suggests and copy everything from the internal memory to a card, you'll still have the old maps and the software on the device. If at some point you decide to update the maps via a card reader and something goes wrong with the installation (not unheard of!) you can remove the card and still use the device with the old maps until you get the version on the card sorted out.

I always follow this precedure, and was glad I did when I experienced the voice stuttering while driving. I was able to pull over, take out the card, and continue my journey with a fully-functional device.
Samsung Galaxy S21
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you have put everything on the SDHC memory card and used the device since doing this simply pop the card in to a card reader then use TomTom Home to update the map on the memory card. Doing things this way prevents TomTom Home from putting the map in the wrong memory location (something it is well know for doing) - Mike

Indeed, I don't "trust" Tom Tom well enough and that sounds like a cunning plan folks. Good tip Mike and Anita.

I still do regular Explorer drag and drop backups to my PC just in case.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add...
Over the last few days I've updated maps on a Go940 to v865 and had absolutely no problem installing them onto the SD card while it was still in the Go. No need to use a card reader, or copy everything onto the card.

In the past, some people have said that Home has tried to put the map onto the internal memory - ignoring that you had selected the card, or it has even tried to put it in both locations at once.

But I've never had an issue, I just select to use the SD card from the pop-up window that appears as soon as I run Home.

It's about the only thing that Home DOES get right though.... Laughing
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel a lot you could do what I do. I have the complete Western Europe map on the card with the European POIs and speed cameras, and the Western Zone on the device with the UK POIs and speed cameras. Then when I switch maps I have all the correct POIs etc.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite flexible in that respect I have to admit. Whether it was intentional or not Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: