Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 550 Alternative to Supplied Mount - Temp Problem - Gone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 550 Alternative to Supplied Mount - Temp Problem - Gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Go 550 Alternative to Supplied Mount - Temp Problem - Gone Reply with quote

Thought I would try to use a different mount and connect to the car powerpoint using the cable supplied to connect the Go to the computer. When I did this I found there was no navigation voice sound. The Go worked OK as soon as I put it back in the TT mount. Any ideas why?
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the latest type of car charger that TomTom supply is exactly like that... a cigarette lighter plug-sized lump of plastic with just a USB socket on the front, and you have to use the same lead as you do to connect to the PC.

So it SHOULD work.

The only thing I can think of is that you have got a setting wrong in "Speaker preferences" - Check it is set to "Internal Speaker".

If that's not it, next thing to try is a reset (20 sec push on the power button).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x50 looks at the mount to see if there is an external speaker connection available, it also looks at the mount for a home dock connection and if found will mute the sound.

Car dock as supplied = sound via built in speaker.
Accessory Car dock = sound via built in speaker of line out as defined by speaker settings.
PC Dock = no sound via device speaker

If you want details on how to convert your car mount to a Brodit style dash mount without it costing the earth let me know as its quite easy to do, such a modification negates the use of the windscreen sucker.

This Thread should give you an idea about what I have done, but it is possible to convert the supplied car dock to the Brodit mount far cheaper than purchasing another dock by reuse of the old mount (well parts of it) - Mike
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I was thinking that the sound might be switched off when using the computer cable. Irritating! I've long admired your instructions for rebuilding a Brodit mount, but I've gone for the x40/x50 RAM cradle that requires a rebuild around a ball in the cradle, will still refer to your excellent instructions.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a CABLE with a multipin on it or an actual dock?

I've got so many different cables and PC docks floating around, that I forget which came with which (e.g. I use the dock that came with my 940 for the 950)

But I think I've used a simple USB cable with a multipin on it on a USB charger in the past and got sound OK.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to use the multi-pin cable that comes 'in the box' and is used for connection to the computer or charging the device. Visually it looks like the same pin array as the dock, but there is obviously an x-factor that mutes the sound.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

PC Dock = no sound via device speaker

Guivre46 wrote:
I was hoping to use the multi-pin cable that comes 'in the box' and is used for connection to the computer or charging the device. Visually it looks like the same pin array as the dock, but there is obviously an x-factor that mutes the sound.

Well that's odd then...
I normally have my Go940 sitting in its home dock in front of me, plugged into the PC.

I ran a demo route on that, while plugged into the PC and charging, and I *DO* hear normal audio from the internal speaker.

So as Mike and you are referring to the Go[b]950[/u] I plugged that into the same dock, ran a demo and as I expected, I got exactly the same results.

It must be that the multipin dock provided with the x40 models is wired slightly different from the multipin cable provided with the x50's.

Do you even get a full "dock" with the x50's?

I'll see if I can dig out my 950 cable and try exactly the same combination as you are using.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only dock with the 550 is the mount for using in the car. I attach it to a friction mount for charging in the house [though I could use the cable], it's just neater.

Appreciate you sticking with this, interested to hear if your 950 + connection cable works or not.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm afraid I've drawn a blank on this one....
I did have a couple of leads stolen when my car was broken into and all I can find for the 940/950 now are:
The Home dock from the 940 (multipin to USB plug)
The permanent mount car dock for x40/x50 (USB socket)
The RDS-TMC dock for x40/x50 (USB socket)
and a couple of Ciggie lighter chargers (Lighter plug to to USB plug).

As I had enough bits from the 940 to work the 950, I never bothered to replace what was missing.

Now... I've had a look at the TT website for accessories, and I think the cable you're trying to use is this one?

(Link)

If that's the right one, then it says that as well as being for use with the PC, it's also OK for use with the new USB Home charger.

(Link)

... and if that's the case then you would think you should be able to use it in the home connected to the 13A mains and still have the voices working, wouldn't you?

Worth a call to customer services?

(Oh you've got a PM too)
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the cable, and it works from a mains/USB plug. I'll give CS a try, the last call was helpful!
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT Support asked me to try a few things to test the situation. When I went out today the whole thing worked as I'd hoped it would do in the first place. Can use the RAM as a passive mount and power via supplied cable meant for connecting to computer. Voice and directions all fine. I'm very pleased, seems more secure than the supplied dock, and mounts lower. Apologies for starting a non-existent hare running.

If anyone else is thinking of it, there is a slight marking of the top of the 550 casing from the cradle roller, though the upside is that it is the easiest detach from a RAM cradle that I've experienced.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...

So as I thought, the standard USB cable shouldn't mute the loudspeaker if there isn't a PC at the other end of it.
There are four connections in the standard USB system - two are used for power and two for data. A normal power supply should only connect to the two power connections.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: