Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom profits slump by a third
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom profits slump by a third
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point on the missed turn problem. I was in Market Drayton over the weekend and the same thing happened to me. I always have the voice off but in truth the unit seemed to be a bit behind the state of play, and possibly the fact that i had no idea of where i was going being my first time in the town may have been a factor.
I can only remember this happening the once but i will pay more attention to times when i am in areas where i am familiar with the roads.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people, like myself, have bought a 750 Live from Amazon for £130 and a 2 year map update card from Halfords for £29 Laughing

I have a machine which works, which I can backup, which allows easy installation of all my poi files, which can update maps - LMG to 865 successfully applied - and which can do all the other things listed as 'not yet available' for the 100x range.

I also note that Tomtom are offering a £30 cashback to anyone who buys a 1000x satnav - this would seem to me to indicate that sales of this range have been disappointing. I wonder how many people have held off before buying because they don't trust Tomtom to deliver on all their promises?

Xtraseller and one or two others seem to believe that few people read forums - this may be the case, but before making any large purchase, I and many others will do a web search for reviews of the item. Even though not regular forum users, many people will have found out about the drawbacks of the new range this way.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT were getting there with the x50 series, why drop it so quickly?

I go back to previous discussions about the legal settlement with Microsoft. TT are not completely stupid, there must have beem some sort of time frame for them to stop using some of MS' patents/copyrights, and we end up with this premature issue of a web-based platform.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider the number of devices containing memory formatted in a variant of FAT, I cannot believe that any licensing costs are huge - certainly not enough to deter other manufacturers from using it. Imagine if you had to connect your digital camera via the web to transfer a few GB of images to your computer.

If their only reason for the web based interface is cost, they are being very shortsighted.

I can remember many times when I have been glad of a backup - and able to apply it without using any of my bandwith Laughing
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Garmin revenues fall by 21%

So a decline in the industry and not down to a model number...

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/Garmin-Q4-2010-Revenue-Down-21--EPS-Down-51_a2847.html
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Garmin's in that same OEM and in-dash market XtraSeller. TomTom's late to the game. In fact Garmin's has been and is used in far more nameplates installs than TomTom. Their aftermarket in-dash started with a Kenwood partnership back in 2007, 3 years before the idea popped up at TomTom. There's not nearly the market nor the potential profit as there was in pnd's. TomTom's foray into supplying a combined audio/nav unit for Suzuki is getting miserable reviews, with users calling it confusing and a horrid design ( http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110217/CARREVIEWS/110219887 )

TomTom's strong suit isn't hardware, it's on the software side. Always has been. They've never built anything themselves. Their best option is going back to their roots, which is essentially what they're attempting with the Sony and Nike partnerships, and the negotiations to get "Live Traffic" and perhaps other connected services accepted as OEM supplied options. Their smartphone plans have fallen apart and no longer seem to be any priority. TeleAtlas has cost them far more than they'll ever get back. The current pnd strategy appears in disarray, tho much of it isn't within their control. No need to go on further. TomTom and, to a lesser extent (for now) Garmin, are on a downward spiral for the next several years. OEM indash nav isn't going to pull either of them out of it.

This has already been mentioned in this thread

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and how much did they have to borrow to buy Teleatlas? I bet the loan costs have gone up. It's not the High Street rate that affects them it is the interbank lending rate, this is apparently a lot higher.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: