Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom profits slump by a third
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom profits slump by a third
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spoken to TomTom?
The mounts there is a supply problem with a fact that has been evident for a while. I was lucky i guess mine only took 3 weeks.
The lmg will be honoured according to a mail i had from TomTom regarding this issue, just as the update cards will be too.
As for the 865 maps i guess we will get them when the system allows it to happen, until then i think i can get by although the constant nagging in my head that the guy next to me at the lights with his TomTom antique has those "latest" maps is doing me in. Shall i just side swipe his car as i pull away?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
xtraseller wrote:
Now that's good service, with a Smile

Have you downloaded map v865?

edit to remove inappropriate content

What's wrong with my question? I have owned at least one of every TomTom model range since I bought my first GO300 in 2005, with the exception of the x40 range - approximately seventeen in total. I have tried a couple of other brands and found them wanting. I currently have in use at one time or another on a daily basis, no less than FIVE different TT models and never go out with less than three running simultaneously. I have been waiting, since 2005, for a model which is as good as and better than the 700. So I'm interested seriously, not frivolously, in every TomTom device which is introduced. If the 1000 was reported on here to be reliable and as useable as was the 700, I'd have been in the shops months ago forcing pound notes into the hand of whichever sales assistant I could get hold of. There is a post from me somewhere saying I am just gagging to get my hands on a good TomTom.

I find your comments offensive.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the next version of the TT flagship to come along. I guess it will or could be called the TT2000 series? As you would like to think that with all this farce going on over the TT1000/5 series TT will have learnt some lesson from all this as no doubt this will have hit them where it hurts - profits.
I think that everyone will agree that these units were put out onto the open market far too early. Even TT tell you what works and what does not.

I just hope they learn from their mistakes.

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2x models are available in North America, just the European models more or less with different numbering.

And I agree, these units were released prematurely. As well, the cloud based interface required for them needs work as well.

To LesP2008: I know of what I speak, sir. That's all I can say in a public forum.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry you find my comments offensive,. So you have owned all units but NOT the 1000 or 1005 so what are you baseing your findings on?

Not much , other than hearsay.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
I am sorry you find my comments offensive,. So you have owned all units but NOT the 1000 or 1005 so what are you baseing your findings on?

And of course TT who's web site tells you what works and more importantly what does NOT

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:

I don't consider Andy_P, Mikealder and several other highly respected contributors on this site as hearsay.

Do you think Darren's review of the 1000 was frivolous, trivial, inconsequential?

Do you consider that 9 out of 11 features not working, as publicly stated by TomTom themselves, is trivial?

LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's like when i bought my car and the Manufacturers site told me i would get 56.1 mpg on an urban cycle, i dont, so i must have bought a lemon.
Only by trying something first hand can you get an honest opinion on whatever it is.
Reasoning based on info from a friend of a friend can be useful but if thats what people base THEIR judgement on then i honestly feel for you.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't consider Andy_P, Mikealder and several other highly respected contributors on this site as hearsay.

Do you think Darren's review of the 1000 was frivolous, trivial, inconsequential?

Do you consider that 9 out of 11 features not working, as publicly stated by TomTom themselves, is trivial?

Not really, but those guys have had and used a unit personally although i think one did mention their unit was only a trial model.
Anyway as personal users who i feel are qualified to pass judgement on the unit then no, i don't find their findings trivial.
You are entitled to your opinion on these units but to me it is baseless as you simply havent used one.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Reasoning based on info from a friend of a friend can be useful but if thats what people base THEIR judgement on then i honestly feel for you.

So you ignore our speed camera database which depends on people you don't even call a friend? You don't bother reading what other people have to say about the 1000?

LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
LesP2008 wrote:

So you ignore our speed camera database which depends on people you don't even call a friend? You don't bother reading what other people have to say about the 1000?

On the contrary. All camera submissions are verified are they not?
By people who actually visit the sites to make sure all info furnished is factual.
I do read what others say about the 1000/5, those that are users i listen to those that are not i find most of it irrelevant except of course the facts about the home software etc which we all know is still not right.
In all as i said before the unit is not a perfect item, the software is rubbish but as a unit for navigation it is still the best there is, my opinion, an opinion from someone who owns and uses the product.
I have over the years been very critical of TomTom and i still am but as far as this unit goes even with all it's faults, of which most are trivial to me, it is still a good piece of kit to use.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with all it's faults, of which most are trivial to me
Well, surely that is the point - what doesn't matter to you DOES matter to others. I certainly feel entitled to have a view about a unit I haven't used, if it is missing functionality which is essential for me. And if it is missing functionality which is supposed to be there, criticism is fully justified whether or not you've purchased that particular make/model. The view that 'those who disagree with me, must be talking drivel, and I'm entitled to insult them' is just that - insulting drivel.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly makes more sense!! Razz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post isn't intended to pour petrol on the fire but I have said this just to make a point, it is my own conclusion based upon using THREE Go-1000 devices, all of which were pre-release models and one device which is a production stock unit that came off the shelf in Halfords.

Major issues with connection to the PC, unreliable updates which are outside of an end users control, having to phone up the device supplier to request map updates and/ or software updates is nothing short of a joke, the more devices they sell based upon the "MyTomTom" PC interface the worse this problem will get (wider spread, more users with issues). Has anyone that has received a map update since purchase actually got the coresponding UK PostCode file to go with the map, I bet TomTom haven't even thought about that one as you have manually install this on all the other units, but at least you have the capability to carry this simple task out.

I have long since given up with anything that relys upon the MyTomTom interface as I simply couldn't get it to work in anything like a stable or reliable mannor. My PC is a stock Windows Vista 32 bit device running Kaspersky AV and firewall, even with this disabled and turned off I still had issues connecting the device(s) and receiving updates, this applies to both pre series units and the production unit I tried from Halfords.

Screen performance, I tend to wear a white shirt (company issue with logo and name embroidered) the reflection on the screen of this drove me nuts, sure I could angle the device at 30 degrees to cut down the reflections in daylight but this didn't work 100% Add to this the poor touch screen response times leading to incorrect menu selections made me not want to use the device in the car.

13 year old daughter even comented as we set off on a long distance trip in the car "dad, do you really need to use that device as you always miss turns when using that thing" Why was I missing turns, late announcements from the device, I have to admit this issue has been addressed on the production devices to some extent, but I did find it ammusing a 13 year old can work out what simply doesn't work as it should do.

Lack of ability to add custom voices or control which TTS voice is installed is still an issue, lack of audio output via Bluetooth is a major let down for me as this has been available since the release of the x10 range.

Whilst you can now add custom POI files the way in which this works is worse than the old system employed by Navman six years ago and I described that as crap back then, bulk POI file installation is a must, I can even add custom POI files to the TomTom iPhone app in bulk, this one file at a time is a farce.

The upshot of all this left me in serious need for a decent PND so I purchased a Garmin 3790T, its got its faults but I can live with them, I found the Go-1000 impossible to get along with, having looked at the 1005 I don't see much difference to what I experianced with the 1000.

For those that are happy with their purchase I hope things continue to improve with the functionality and PC interface, but based upon past performance of the TomTom PC based "Home" software I think its going to be a very long uphill struggle thats going to take quite some time to fully resolve, for me I simply gave up with it having wasted far more than enough of my time trying to get it to work in the way I would expect from a basic device. At the end of the day even a high end Sat Nav is nothing much more than a simple device, if its not simple to use then something is wrong with it - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: