Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom profits slump by a third
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom profits slump by a third
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
I agree, it is wise to outsource manufacturing - it gives flexability and a supple cost control arm when demands increases and decreases

There's disadvantages as well. Keep the profit from manufacturing yourself (Garmin) or give it to someone else to make it for you. Keep the trade secrets to yourself as much as possible, or send them to a Chinese company to do the building and share (unofficially?) the technology with other Chinese manufacturers, allowing them to build and sell near identical Tomtom's, iPhones, iPods and the like. Pros and cons both ways.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps updated. Tick
Custom POIs updated. Tick
TT Spead Cameras updated. Tick

That's my device (TTGo1000), all updated as promised by TT

I know it isn't the same for everyone, but it works for me and many others, so you cannot say it cannot or has not been achieved. It is a fact
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the whole debacle, it sounds like "attempted" to me, extraseller.

I've got the updates too, but that's no comfort to the MAJORITY who it seems haven't got all or any of them so far, or the unfortunates who have had their units COMPLETELY BRICKED by the map update or lost LIVE Services after it

"It's a fact...".
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Keep the trade secrets to yourself as much as possible, or send them to a Chinese company to do the building and share (unofficially?) the technology with other Chinese manufacturers, allowing them to build and sell near identical Tomtom's, iPhones, iPods and the like. Pros and cons both ways.

And if the Chinese get it to work better and sell it cheaper....I'll probably buy one!
Kia In-dash Tomtom
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Maps updated. Tick
Custom POIs updated. Tick
TT Spead Cameras updated. Tick

I know it isn't the same for everyone, but it works for me and many others, so you cannot say it cannot or has not been achieved. It is a fact

And how long did you have to wait for TT to tick those boxes. Your bought you TT1000 when?.......
And i'm sure there's a few more boxes that need to be tick

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

Well count my Go 1005 (purchased about 10 december as one not updated.

I have also been waiting 52 days for Tomtom to dispatch a Go 1000 mount (with no explanation or applogy. I think that their profits should be down more in the next quarter.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's far more competition now, the profit slump is to be expected imo. They are still doing pretty well but need to avoid upsetting customers with things like the Easymenu system which had a ridiculous lack of features to begin with.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've got the updates too, but that's no comfort to the MAJORITY who it seems haven't got all or any of them so far, or the unfortunates who have had their units COMPLETELY BRICKED by the map update or lost LIVE Services after it

I would like to know where you get your data from the confirm as you do that the majority haven't got the updates? That is quite a statement from a PGPSW moderator, and I hope you can back it up

Just relying on forum posts to qualify this is useless - lets me honest, we don't go searching out and then posting on forums just to say "everythings fine" - most people when something works (as it should) say and post nothing

Only the (few?) people with genuine problems then carry on a post... and if you take off all those miserable complainers on here to knock the 1000/5 series but either / or don't have one / never tried one and maybe its not anywhere near your claimed majority after all

As to when I purchased my unit, it was October 2010

It puts my Garmin 2310 and 765T to shame - even before the updates and custom pois
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
most people when something works (as it should) say and post nothing

But you are indeed posting that your GO1000 is a superb bit of kit.

TomTom's own website offers the following list of functionality, my X shows they say it isn't functioning, Y shows they say it is functioning.

Latest Map Guarantee - X
Speed Cameras - Y
Fuel Prices - X
Backing up - X
Adding POIs - X
Map Update Service - Y
New Maps - X
Downloading Voices - X
Quickgpsfix (non-Live) - X
Map Share - X
Sharing Favourites - X

By my reckoning, that's 2 working and 9 not working. But actually, how can the map update service work if the new maps don't? Confusing - surely all it means is you can join up (pay for it) although you can't actually get any new maps. And I think even you will agree that the TomTom speed cameras are not worth shouting from the rooftops about. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Quote:

I would like to know where you get your data from the confirm as you do that the majority haven't got the updates? That is quite a statement from a PGPSW moderator, and I hope you can back it up

Just relying on forum posts to qualify this is useless - lets me honest, we don't go searching out and then posting on forums just to say "everythings fine" - most people when something works (as it should) say and post nothing

Only the (few?) people with genuine problems then carry on a post... and if you take off all those miserable complainers on here to knock the 1000/5 series but either / or don't have one / never tried one and maybe its not anywhere near your claimed majority after all

As to when I purchased my unit, it was October 2010

It puts my Garmin 2310 and 765T to shame - even before the updates and custom pois

I would suppose that i fit into the class of miserable complainers... I don't have a TT1000/5 unit however i'm not on here to knock it, as i'm keen to buy the flagship TT model, but i'd never spend money on a new product that was not fully functional and not knowing when the fixes were going in.
You bought your unit in October'10 and its took 5 months to get your 3rd party POIs to work. Now that might be OK for you, but not me.

The title of this thread is "Tomtom profits slump by a third" perhaps if TT had delivered a flagship unit that was fit for purpose in the first place, then more buyers would have increased their sales, after all it was in someways intended for the Xmas market.

As for not posting when things work,..... this a forum, where you look for help from other users, who have had the same problems your having with your unit, who can help others...i would like to think that the users who don't have problems would post anyway.. 1. to say theirs worked OK, (just like you do) 2. to help users with guidance and advice.. "i did it this way" or " i cleared the cache" etc etc

Just to add that on the day that the POIs started i posted in a thread "TT1000 here i come"... but it's still not right Rolling Eyes

Garmin 3598LTM-D
Android CoPilot
Navigon 72 Plus Live
TTGO540

Last edited by keithmillar on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
Well count my Go 1005 (purchased about 10 december as one not updated.

I have also been waiting 52 days for Tomtom to dispatch a Go 1000 mount (with no explanation or applogy. I think that their profits should be down more in the next quarter.

OK, Software update arrived this morning.
Now just waiting for the mount to be dispatched.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get good service, you tell 1 person
You get bad service, you tell 10

Its the same story with the forums (not just these ones, of course)

I am not saying no one with good reports will post, and by the same measure not everyone with bad reports post

Just that users with a poor experience are significantly more likely to report the problem than those with a good one, most of whom will just be happy using their units day to day

And its not that those with a poor experience or problem shoudn't, just that the extent of the problem needs to be taken in context

As for the TT Speed Cameras, in my opnion up to last weeks update they were not the best, post last weeks update they are really suprisingly good and certainly do the job for me, particularly when I don't have to think about their installation - its all done for me

Now that's good service, with a Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

Have you downloaded map v865?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

Have you downloaded map v865?

edit to remove inappropriate content

Whilst we all know and accept it is far from the finished item, to a lot of users who actually use it, it is still a top item. I can't help thinking that the big issue on here is the fact that it couldn't have the camera database on it, now it can perhaps this drivel will cease.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:

Whilst we all know and accept it is far from the finished item, to a lot of users who actually use it, it is still a top item. I can't help thinking that the big issue on here is the fact that it couldn't have the camera database on it, now it can perhaps this drivel will cease.

I think I can recognise drivel when I see it.

So, some facts...
I have a Go 1005.
I do not have the 865 maps.
My 90 day LMG expires in 8 days.
My accessory mount has not been shipped 53 days after Tomotom received payment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: