Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATT BigPerk
Thanks thats useful info. I think I have accidentally found the reason for my problem, I could kick myself. When my Garmin was last connected to the computer I right clicked on the Garmin Drive image and then properties to see what spare memory capacity was available on the internal storage. It showed 1.85gb used and just 744kb free. The bulk of the used storage was taken up with gmapprom.img which I assume is the majority of the UK and European maps. I thought I placed these on my 4gb sd card but obviously not. I now need to find out if I can copy this file to my computer, paste it to my sd card then delete the file from the Garmin internal memory.
As I said “no fool like an old fool” my computer skills (such as they are) are restricted to music production mixing my voice to backing tracks and burning the finished product onto CD’s. When working In Brittany the SatNav is vital to find my way to and from venues.
Thanks again
wrinklyrocker
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem reasonable that, if the internal memory is getting full, then sending camera data to it could result in error messages.

For this reason, on my 255wt, I have the european mapping in the internal memory, and I have my camera data on the SD card.

Also, to free up internal memory, I took a full backup, and then deleted all the foreign files in the folders called Help, Text and Voice. I also deleted the Cyclops files in the Poi folder, together with all the Vehicle icons apart from the one I use.

As far as I know, a map file on the SD card must be called (or renamed as) gmapsupp.img or the device will not read it. (However I would prefer to leave the map in internal memory, and use the SD card for camera data).

Dales.

Last edited by dales on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you are putting the map on the SD card, it will need to go in a folder named Garmin on the card, I believe.

Dales.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Garmin loading speedcam problems Reply with quote

Hi Dales,
Well I removed the file gmapprom.img, all 1,811,840 kb's of it from my Gramin device by using Windows Explorer. This was very slow about 45mins. I copied the file just for safety sake, and then pasted the file onto my 4gb SD card installed in my Garmin. I then loaded the UK & FRENCH speed cameras at the same time as the POI's I wanted and low and behold the loaded perfectly. I held my breath while I fired up the Garmin and all seemed well. I located our address in Brittany and selected “map view” and sure enough it came up. So far, so good. I later went out to test it on "map view" and that's when my elation ended. The vehicle icon was not tracking at the correct speed, and was very jerky. It works to the extent that the new speed cams and POI's were in place but is distracting as streets that you have just past have not been arrived at on the screen. I can only assume that the delay is caused by the maps being loaded on an extension ie the SD card or loading the program by cut and paste is the cause. If I could find a way of editing the img file and dumping the maps for countries that I don’t need might help. Looking on the positive side The Garmin seems to work OK. Hopefully when I have to go the France at Easter I will have sorted things out.

Wrinkly rocker.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can see that its working, why not rename the gmapprom.img on the mem card to gmapprom.img.ok

Then copy the backup gmapprom.img back to the Garmin internal memory. See no reason it should not work and the poi's are now on the mem card.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I then loaded the UK & FRENCH speed cameras at the same time
(Is that right wrinklyrocker?)
Quote:
The vehicle icon was not tracking at the correct speed, and was very jerky
To 'Garmin Knowledgeables' - A long time since I used POILoader, but if these were both loaded in one go, wouldn't there be a kph/mph conflict? If so, could this be causing the jitters?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that maps on the SD card do run a little slower than maps in internal memory. Not much, but enough for me to prefer to have the main mapping in the internal memory.

So, because my internal memory is getting full, I have my camera data on the SD card (and that's also why I deleted some non-essential content from the internal memory).

It is possible to edit the map down, but you need the MapSource program. If you have this (or can get hold of it) I can tell you about the editing procedures.

Dales
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk,

Yes, loading English and French cameras at the same time does seem likely to cause an mph/kph conflict. There's a Sticky in the Garmin section of the forum, about how to do it properly. (NB Ash10 does it automatically for me!).

But this wouldn't cause map jitters, it would just give warnings at the wrong speeds, I feel.

Dales.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales wrote:
Yes, I think that maps on the SD card do run a little slower than maps in internal memory. Not much, but enough for me to prefer to have the main mapping in the internal memory.

That's interesting. I've no experience of it on a Garmin, but on TomTom's it's often been reported that it runs slightly faster with the maps on an SD card.

As I'd have thought the memory chips used are very similar, could it all be down to the speed rating of the SD card used?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've hit the nail on the head there. A fast memory card is at least as efficient as on-board flash memory and often many times faster.

If there is a performance issue then the bottleneck will likely be a slow card.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Well I’m back where I started except without any Garmin Speed-cams or Garmin POI’s. I have been trying various things without success and the only way I could get the Garmin to track smoothly was to replace the map file that caused the original problem back onto the internal memory. To enable this I had to remove the POI folder to free up enough space.
I wonder if moving map files using Windows Explorer only works in part because the maps should be installed on the Garmin or external SD card not just placed there! I can’t remember loading the maps when I first had the Garmin some 18months ago, bur I’m sure there was a installer “mapinstall” or procedure that had to be used.
Another think comes to mind is with POIloader should this give the option of installing files to internal or external memory? I don’t remember seeing it when I downloaded the POI’s. I have pinched my wife’s SD card and cleared it, with the intention of trying to load the speed cameras and some POI's as an external supply.
My thanks to everyone, I am really grateful for all the time and effort provided, I’m sure I will get there in the end.
wrinklyrocker
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to install POIs to a Memory Card connected to your PC via a card reader. And then insert the card into the Garmin.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using a card reader is the best way - it's faster to load up. They only cost a few ££.

But if you haven't got one, you can select the SD card in PoiLoader.
Plug in your nuvi with an SD card installed. When you get to the Find Device screen, you should get a drop-down list. Here you can select the Nuvi or the Removable Media (ie the SD card).

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: