Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading problems for Speed camera's to my Garmin 255wt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Download speed camera problems to Garmin 255wt Reply with quote

Att.
Dikyenfo
Pocketgps
M8TJT
Darren
PaulB2005

Thanks guys for your input I will digest all your suggestions over the next few days and report back hopefully with a positive reply.

Regards
Wrinkly rocker
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: News update from wrinkly rocker on Garmin 255wt downloads. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I mentioned I was going to try to download the UK and EUR speed cams.
on my wife’s Garmin 255wt. Well both loaded without any problems; I won’t be able to test the UK ones until tomorrow when we are going out to shop for shoes at Worcester, Leamington Spa, Stratford on Avon and Droitwich. Not for me by the way!
One thing I did notice is that both downloads took several seconds, whereas on my Garmin attempts they were instant obviously just producing the “error messages”. The problem must therefore exist with my Garmin and the only thing I can think of is that on my last trip to Brittany I noticed that the1GB SD card for mine was missing. I got my wife to post my spare one out to me as the unit wouldn’t load the any maps. I received it and installed it a few days later and all was well again. I have now removed this card as the unit sometimes just keeps “reloading maps” over and over again. Without the card the UK maps and Garmin speed cams load OK. I am not sure what the SD card is for, and if the lost original card is essential, and the reason I am having all these problems.

Thanks to all again
wrinkly rocker
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: News update from wrinkly rocker on Garmin 255wt download Reply with quote

wrinklyrocker wrote:
I won’t be able to test the UK ones until tomorrow
You can test them in your armchair! Try Tools..Settings..System..GPS Simulator On..OK.
Now View Map and pan to say 400 yards the far side of your nearest camera. Set Lo[cation] there, then back to Menu..Where to..Go Home..Yes.

The behaviour of your own Garmin does not sound good.
My own 255wt works just fine without the SD card, using its internal maps.
(In fact it did not come with an SD card at all).
It may be worth contacting Garmin support about this behaviour of your unit.

Could it be the case that you have UK maps installed internally in the Garmin, plus European maps on the SD card? (You can check this with Tools..Settings..Map..MapInfo. This tells you what maps are available, so if you remove the SD card and try again, you can see the difference (if any).
So, if the SD card is a Garmin one with maps on, perhaps it's faulty and needs exchanging.

Dales.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin 255wt download problems Reply with quote

ATT Dales,
I never thought of using the GPS simulator, I have a lot to learn.
I think I may have been premature in writing off my Garmin; it does in fact work without the card while navigating at least in the UK. I can also find addresses in France and Spain and most of Western Europe and locate them on the maps. I can’t work out why I cannot load the Speed camera’s ( I keep getting an error message) on mine and then a folder named “debug” The only thing I can think of is that without the sd card I don’t have enough memory on the actual device and that why it fails. I wonder If I can try my wife’s sd card in mine and try loading the speed cams again.
We went out to Stratford on Avon and found the camera alerts strange but by the time we got home things started to make sense. I will need to download the larger Icons and speech instructions plus some POI’s (fuel, hotels, garages etc) but from what I understand I need to do all together with the speed cameras. If this is the case do I have to remove the cameras first or will they be overwritten?
I have ordered a new 2gb sd card to replace the on I lost.
Thanks for your input Dales it is appreciated.

Wrinkly rocker
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the internal memory on my own device is pretty nearly full.
I have all my speed camera data, voice warnings etc on the SD card, as not only does it save space in the internal memory, it loads up faster as well (if you use a card reader). If you don't have a card reader, then you can select the SD card in PoiLoader from the Find Device screen - just select Removable Media in the drop-down list.
As you say, selecting the SD card like this may solve the problem if your internal memory has insufficient space.

PoiLoader will overwrite whatever poi data was there before (on the device, or on the SD card) OK.

Certainly you can try your wife's card in your own device.
You can see what's on it (or on your own SD card) if you plug the device into the computer and press Start..My Computer..Removable Disc. You may see a folder named Garmin. Within this you may find a folder ending in .img - this is a map file, do not delete it! You may also find a folder named Poi. This could contain a file ending in .gpi - this is a PoiLoader file of camera data etc.

Dales
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 255wt download problems Reply with quote

wrinklyrocker wrote:
ATT Dales,I will need to download the larger Icons and speech instructions plus some POI’s (fuel, hotels, garages etc) but from what I understand I need to do all together with the speed cameras. If this is the case do I have to remove the cameras first or will they be overwritten? Wrinkly rocker

If you are going to put your poi's on the memory card then first connect your unit to your pc and start PoiLoader, select your device and then select remove poi's from device (or words to that effect).

Then put your memory card in your device and then start PoiLoader again and load them to the memory card.

Yes, you do need to put ALL the files in the same folder each time you use PoiLoader as it over-writes them. Make sure you select the memory card when you upload to your device. And make sure you select MPH/Yards on the last screen before you click to upload them.

Hope that makes sense Laughing
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Garmin 255wt speed camera and POI loading problems Reply with quote

ATT Dales & Pocketgps

Thanks guys for your imputs, I learn a bit each time someone comes back to me. I tried my wifes card but it didn't help I still got the error message and no camera's. I think I have a problem with the Garmin device and my next step is to contact them and see if they have an idea what the problem is.
Thanks for your help I will come back when I have heard from Garmin.
wrinkly rocker
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried downloading the files direct to the memory card. Then your Garmin will not be in the loop. If it still shows an error message then its the files or PoiLoader thats at fault, not your Garmin.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: ATT Pocketgps Reply with quote

Ok I’ll try that next but I won’t use my wife’s card I’ll will wait until my new 2gb card arrives. If I do that and first “remove the poi’s from the device” will that delete the original Garmin speed cams which are still working?
wrinkly rocker.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It'll only remove your Custom POIs.
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: problems loading POI's Reply with quote

ATT PaulB2005
Thanks for that, its a relief.
I am going to contact Garmins support team and give you guys a break.
winklyrocker
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: problems loading POI's Reply with quote

wrinklyrocker wrote:
I am going to contact Garmins support team and give you guys a break.
I wish you all the luck in he world Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Arny nearly said "He'll be back" ...
wrinklyrocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Losing the will to live (with my Garmin) Reply with quote

ATT BigPerk & M8TJT

Understood guys, I won't hold my breath then.
But a famous saying which applies to me is "no fool like and old fool" so what else can I do?
wrinklyrocker Question
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word, as you are going to Garmin wrinklyrocker. Especially if you have a good telephone tariff, and can get hold of an '0870 alternative' number, I'd recommend you phone their support people up, rather than use email. My experience from a few years back, and from what a few people here have said more recently, you MAY actually get someone a lot more helpful. The downside is the VERY long wait to get to the front of the queue (I was used to about 45-60 minutes sometimes).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: