Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which model to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which model to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyZoltar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

Around a year ago, I bought a TomTom Start v2, coming from a TomTom One before that. At first, it was all well and good, but the basic functions of it have become more and more annoying, so I'm looking to replace it with something better.

I miss things like viewing the route in text format, and avoiding part of a route. That's really my main issue with my current device, though the screen lag on it and the One before it also annoy me.

Can I safely assume that any of the current decent devices (via and 1000 ranges) allow you freedom to adjust certain parts of the route by chooisng which part to avoid? Can you view the route in advance in text format?

I've found that the type of screen used on the Start is probably what annoys me, after using the iPhone for such a long time. I figure that the 1000 may solve those issues for me.

As a seperate point, how much is it to upgrade/buy maps for Europe and sucklike? Wondering whether I should save money now and get a UK device, or get Europe from the start. I may or may not be travelling to Europe by car in the next year or 2, but don't know as yet.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the wall of text.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fantastic screen on the Go1000/1005 - very clear and bright. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is also very reflective, but many people are'nt bothered by it.

The 'Via's have a similar screen but it's not multi-touch like the 1000/1005 so no pinch-zoom, gestures etc. (although I can't get the hang of those on a 1000 and usually don't bother with them)

All of them have "Travel via..." and "Avoid part of route" options, but they do NOT have full Itinerary planning yet (it's been promised for a future update)

You can still view the route as text (except they call it "show instructions" now, which always fools me!)

It's always worth buying the Europe model straight away, just on the price difference, but it's vital here because these models have no external sd card slot, so you would not be able to fit the full all-in-one Europe map on a model bought with only UK maps.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

MightyZoltar wrote:
I've found that the type of screen used on the Start is probably what annoys me, after using the iPhone for such a long time. I figure that the 1000 may solve those issues for me.

Have you possibly considered buying the TomTom App for the Iphone instead as I believe that would also overcome your issue with not being able to view the roads along the route as a text list? It also now has all navigating features of the x40, x50 and 1000 series models including Live Traffic as I understand it (except you don't have to pay an extra annual sub for this on the Iphone App as you already have an included data connection). The only thing you can't get on the Iphone map is the gyro compass based EPT tunnel navigation facility of the 940 and 950 top of the range models (I have no idea whether any 1000 series model has this feature although I suspect it would be a yet to be launched equivalent to the 940 and 950 that also included North American maps).

There is a dedicated car cradle specifically for the Iphone that TomTom have approved that also improves its GPS reception up to the capabilities of the standalone TomTom series such as the 1000 series.

Alternatively have you looked at www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm where the XL Live EU is only £99.99 including p&p if you don't need a hands free Bluetooth mobile capability on the unit (which in my experience of the 940 is so flakey and unreliable that its not worth having) as that unit also allows you to access the memory from the normal Windows explorer on your PC so you can easily add the pocketgpsworld speedcam database to it).

If you do want the bluetooth mobile hands free calling facility then the Go 550 (UK maps only ) is only £119.99 on the same web page, while the Go 750 (EU maps) there has 12 month Live traffic included (normally worth £49.99) at £139.99 (so its really actually a better bet than the 550 or the XL Live as the XL Live and the 500 didn't have a 12 months Live traffic sub and only had 1 month) or £155.98 for the Go 950 (EU and US maps but only 1 month trial to Live traffic).

Despite the better screen on the 1000 series many here are still concerned that on the 1000 series all access to update the unit is through a web based version of TomTom home where Tom restricts your ability to put what you want on the device memory or take direct Windows Explorer backups and many here feel that is a step backwards compared to the x40 and x50 series models. At the moment TomTom also haven't even got that web based update facility working to the extent that you can use the Latest Map Guarantee let alone to add aditional POIs through TomTom Home or via direct Windows Explorer addition (as with the PocketGPSWorld speecams)!

I saw a Via model in Currys Digital yesterday for something ridiculous like over £300 but couldn't see the point of it as it seemed to cost a fortune but have no useful features compared to an x40 or x50 series model. I'm a little surprised to hear that you would have bought a Start to replace a One as they were always pitched to customers as having less features than the One series.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having persevered with an iPhone for a year, I'd suggest getting rid of the iPhone and getting a Nokia smart phone My 5800 is all an iPhone should have been but isn't) and a TT720 or 730 if you can find one.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Have you possibly considered buying the TomTom App for the Iphone instead as I believe that would also overcome your issue with not being able to view the roads along the route as a text list?

Worth considering but also bear in mind the cost of a powered car holder otherwise the iPhone will have a flat battery within an hour!

If you have a 3G or 3GS then the car holders with integral GPS receivers are worth considering as the GPS chipset in these two models isn't that clever, if you have an iPhone4 then GPS reception seems fine even when used in demanding locations, but you still need a powered car holder.

WackyRaces wrote:
[It also now has all navigating features of the x40, x50 and 1000 series models including Live Traffic as I understand it (except you don't have to pay an extra annual sub for this on the Iphone App as you already have an included data connection).

The Live services are still subscription based for the iPhone app but not as costly as the Live PND's

WackyRaces wrote:
[The only thing you can't get on the Iphone map is the gyro compass based EPT tunnel navigation facility of the 940 and 950 top of the range models (I have no idea whether any 1000 series model has this feature although I suspect it would be a yet to be launched equivalent to the 940 and 950 that also included North American maps).

There is no EPT in the Go-1000 range as yet, whether this ever gets added one will have to wait and see, in the UK EPT isn't that useful to be honest as the few tunnels we have don't tend to have junctions within them unlike you find in Mainland Europe.

WackyRaces wrote:
[There is a dedicated car cradle specifically for the Iphone that TomTom have approved that also improves its GPS reception up to the capabilities of the standalone TomTom series such as the 1000 series.

If its a 3G/ 3GS then I would suggest the cradle is worth considering but if you own a newer iPhone4 its not needed IMHO.

To be honest I am more than happy with the iPhone4 in its powered holder running the TomTom app, its possible to do more with this combination than the latest hardware from TomTom, combine the iPhone with a decent in car bluetooth audio system where phone calls are routed via the car speakers as are Navigation instructions and it just gets better, all this is possible for less than the cost of a high end PND as you already have the hardware - Mike
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In the UK EPT isn't that useful to be honest as the few tunnels we have don't tend to have junctions within them unlike you find in Mainland Europe.

The Limehouse Link tunnel in London's Docklands has an underground junction as do the tunnels on the part of the M25 near the M11.

Some of us also drive abroad and there are numerous underground tunnels with junctions in places like Paris and Brussels.

However lacking trust in the technical prowess of TomTom as I do I would need to see a 740 or 750 working against a 940 or 950 in the same vehicle to convince me that thet the EPT feature does actually make a difference and work as advertised. TomTom's marketing people are very good indeed at designing new marketing features that they know will appeal to buyers of their satnavs and so ensure a higher price point but their software development people do not seem to be very good at all at properly supporting many of those alleged new facilities. Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
mikealder wrote:
In the UK EPT isn't that useful to be honest as the few tunnels we have don't tend to have junctions within them unlike you find in Mainland Europe.

The Limehouse Link tunnel in London's Docklands has an underground junction as do the tunnels on the part of the M25 near the M11.

Some of us also drive abroad and there are numerous underground tunnels with junctions in places like Paris and Brussels.

How does that differ from what Mike said? And M25 how near to M11, because I can't find such tunnels.

I had EPT once and was very unimpressed with it. Firstly, it cut in very readily, even to the extent of under ordinary bridges! Secondly it didn't work at all well in the Limehouse Link.

Oddly enough I was surprised today when I went through there, to find that my Carminat built in system tracked the tunnel absolutely spot on, just as it does the the A4 under Hyde Park Corner. It makes no claim to EPT or anything, but seems to have better satellite lock. My 520T and 550L both try to follow those tunnels, but not successfully.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
my Carminat built in system tracked the tunnel absolutely spot on, just as it does the the A4 under Hyde Park Corner. It makes no claim to EPT or anything,

A lot of the incar satnavs have motion sensors and speed sensors linked to the gearbox. I know the old Blaupunkt models had this.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
WackyRaces wrote:
mikealder wrote:

How does that differ from what Mike said? And M25 how near to M11, because I can't find such tunnels.

They would be Bell Common Tunnel (Epping Forest) and Holmesdale Tunnel (Waltham Cross). Neither had an underground junction yesterday evening.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
They would be Bell Common Tunnel (Epping Forest) and Holmesdale Tunnel (Waltham Cross). Neither had an underground junction yesterday evening.

I have only ever been on that part of the M25 about four times in my life and I do remember there being a junction exit lane within the tunnel. Of course if the split from the M25 itself happens after you leave the tunnel then I suppose that doesn't really require EPT.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which model to buy? Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

That's why I underlined underground junction in my quote. Seems that entry in WickiRaces has a footnote asking for citations and references. Smile

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: