Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: map updates Reply with quote

Hi, like many, I received a message saying my maps were out of date and they offerred the update service which costs a "cut down" £68 which includes updates and further 4 updates. they also offer the whole map for £40 (no updates) Bearing in mind that "in my opinion" maps only need to be updated every two or three years, can you just purchase the whole map and overlay it on the unit
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You can buy any map, as long as it fits on the unit, and HOME will install it, usually by overwriting the existing map if it is the same.

This is one reason why it is a good idea to do a Full Windows Explorer Backup of the Unit.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rockpebblar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Thanks Richard
am in the process of doing a full backup
regards
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get over how much they charge for these maps - daylight robbery!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth it.... for the first map.

Possibly worth it.... for a decently updated map.

Definitely NOT worth it for a new version of the old map with all the same errors (including the ones you reported to them)
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockpebblar wrote:
"in my opinion" maps only need to be updated every two or three years

I personally wouldn't even update them after three years unless you happen to have had a major new motorway or trunk A road or bypass or something on a route that you travel on all the time. Don't forget that Mapshare is available for minor changes and that TomTom's map updates tend to neglect to include many minor map error corrections and only have major new road schemes in them.

Also at TomTom's map update prices with a unit like the 940 that includes two expensive maps its probably cheaper to replace the whole unit at the same time and sell your old unit on Ebay rather than pay for two new maps at 60 quid each.

Andy_P wrote:
Definitely worth it.... for the first map.

I don't think TomTom's prices for the separate Australia and New Zealand maps can possibly be justified for a customer with a model sold in the UK going on holiday there given that you have to buy them both and that the total for the two is 130 quid or something quite ridiculous. And most of us here would only be going there once for no more than 3 or 4 weeks between the two countries.

As apart from the Western and Central Europe and North America maps (that come to 4Gb between them) all the other TomTom map files for the other countries they cover are tiny I really don't see why they haven't come up with a World model yet which gives you all their maps for about another 80 quid on top of the 940 or 950 price. One TomTom unit can't be using the map in more than one place at one time!

I also note that on recent Garmin units a Lifetime map updates option can be purchased for only about 60 quid extra (that is for Lifetime updates of the Western and Central Europe map - see www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Nümaps-European-Lifetime-Updates/dp/B001PKTDMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295646765&sr=1-1 ). But TomTom won't even give you a package deal on a 9xx series unit to sell you the latest North America and Western and Central Europe map for say only 65% of the total current cost of the two individual maps. I certainly do feel that TomTom's map prices do appear to be extortionate compared to most of their competitors. And don't forget if you ever go there that unlike Garmin their European maps don't even include Iceland (they just don't cover Icleand full stop, even though it is an increasingly popular destination for short adventure holiday breaks). Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: