Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Totally New to Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Totally New to Sat Nav
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Totally New to Sat Nav Reply with quote

Hi All

I am totally new to sat nav and at the stage of building up some knowledge before making a purchase. It seems to be the case that many bikers use car sat navs as opposed to the very expensive bike designed ones and I intend to do the same. I understand that a 3.5mm audio out plug on the receiver will enable me to use earplugs with the mic built in. Do all car sat nav's have an audio out plug and if not where on the tech sheets would this be indicated ?

I understand the receivers use a Lithium battery that cannot be removed from the units ? The battery would have a limited life expectancy and then the system has to be thrown away ? Is it possible to plug in an external lithium battery when the one in the unit has died ?

Sorry for the ignorant questions but as I say I'm very much at the learning stage at the moment.

Regards
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JimmyNorth,

Sadly not all SatNav's do have 3.5mm jacks to plug earphones into and the manufacturers spec sheets don't always say if they do or don't either. As a rule of thumb, if a SatNav has mp3 playback, it shall probably have an earphone socket. I'm not up to speed with with current models but the old TomTom Go's (x20, x30's) do have one. Best check your chosen model out at a shop just to be sure.

It is possible to use an external battery to power your SatNav, depending upon which make you settle for. TomTom's are powered via a USB socket. I use a PowerMonkey when my TomTom's are away from the car for more than 5 minutes Shocked which gives me about an extra two hours use.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be aware that the units fitted with a 3,5MM socket for audio output are for Line-Out which is intended to be coupled to an amp/ aux input on the stereo. Whilst its possible to power a small set of earphones from this socket you will be loading the audio circuit up, anything larger than a very small pair of earphones will probably damage the audio output circuit in the sat nav.
For use on the bike fit a car ciggy socket connected to the bikes battery via a fuse then plug the supplied car charger lead in to the socket for power - Mike
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response which has given food for thought.

I was intending to use microbuds installed in custom fitted earplugs so ambient noice levels should be lower than the foam ear plugs I use already. I'm not going the blue tooth route and the need to carry chargers for the bluetooth unit.

Mike's comments are very intersting re the intended use of the line out. I had no idea about that.

Would it also be true to say that if I wanted to use a car sat nav and use it with summer bike gloves the Tom Tom range would be easier to operate than Garmin ? I'm thinking car sat nav here.

Many thanks
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why a Garmin should be any different to operate. Have I missed something?

Even though you said that you don't want Bluetooth have a look at this and follow the links.

I use an Optimate recharger with my motorbike. It is connected to the battery using Race Pack Connectors. Short, fused "tails" connect directly to the battery. I have adapted a USB/Ciggy Adapter with a race connector to connect to the battery "tails".

So when touring on my bike and I want to recharge my camera, phone, radio, torch, etc. etc. and use my TomTom Go I can, when at home I disconnect the cigy adapter and plug in the Optimate.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nuvi 37xx uses a capacitive touch screen (like on a modern mobile phone) which wouldn't work with gloves (unless you got some special 'stuff' [ask darren what it is!] to stick on your gloves). the go 1000 uses capacitive too i think.

the via (and older garmin devices) use resistive touch screen so will work with gloves.

MaFt
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again

The main problem I have with Bluetooth is that the headsets prevents one from wearing earplugs so there is a high level of ambient noise going on. Custom made silicon earplugs should be quieter than the standard ones I use now and the fact that they can be adapted to carry microbuds would mean that one can hear the sat nav instructions but aslo block out all the ambient road noise.

With regard to the map loading capacity of these units. Say I purchased an older Tom Tom unit and it could'nt take a downloaded of say a map of europe. Can this lack of capacity be overcome by purchasing say a 16GB sd card and inserting this ?

Basically if I got an old Tom Tom unit off of e-bay with an audio out socket and an sd card I should be in business to download a good map of europe and run it off the cusomised microbud earplugs ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyNorth wrote:
.......prevents one from wearing earplugs so there is a high level of ambient noise going on.
Are you on a Moto GP bike then Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JimmyNorth, Yes that should all work. The 16Gb SDHC card shall have about 13Gb left over after you have installed the maps which you can fill fill with music, photos, files, etc. A 4Gb SDHC card would suffice just for the maps.

Check out the TomTom Outlet store for refurb units. Not as cheap as e-bay but they come with a Guarantee and you may get the latest maps if you are lucky/cheeky.

@MaFt -Thanks for that, I didn't realise the differences between old/new models.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyNorth wrote:
Say I purchased an older Tom Tom unit and it could'nt take a downloaded of say a map of europe. Can this lack of capacity be overcome by purchasing say a 16GB sd card and inserting this ?

AliOnHols wrote:
Hi JimmyNorth, Yes that should all work. The 16Gb SDHC card shall have about 13Gb left over after you have installed the maps

Don't forget not all TT models can use SDHC technology cards. Most older models can only use SD.

IIRC, the ones that can only use plain SD are:
Go Classic
Go x00
Go x10
ONE (1st and 2nd editions)
ONE XL
Rider (1st and 2nd edition)

Ordinary SD cards are usually a maximum of 2GB, although a couple of makes (Transcend and Topram) did do 4GB versions.
TT also only recommend SDHC cards of 4GB maximum, although cards upto 32GB usually work fine.
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much all. I have really learnt a lot just with this post.

Did'nt know there was different types of SD card. SDHC probably meaning high compression or something ? More desirable to have this ability in a sat nav unit.

Thanks alionhols for the tip on the Tom Tom outlet store and I'll have a look.

MaFt has me totally baffled re the different type of touch screens but I think this is the last piece of the jigsaw for me. Capacitive touch screens v's resitive touch screens ? I'm baffled but it sounds like one must have a resistive touch screen if using bike gloves. I'm talking car sat nav here. I would imagine some would be pretty poor using gloves and some will be ok. Also if its a real hassle to use the screen on the move can one just leave these things on all the time when on the move as long as its connected to the bike battery ?

Thanks
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TT GO 730/930 gets put into my TankBag when on the bike. If the sun isn't shining I can just about see the display but it is able to operate it (when lost and safely stopped) through the TankBag plastic window and wearing winter gloves. Other forum members use dedicated mounts, such as RAM, fitted to the Yoke or Handlebars which I am sure must be a whole lot easier to use.

There is no problem leaving your SatNav set up for the entire journey, just set your destination and it'll get you there. Even if you decide to go for a detour, it shall use the best route to guide you back to where you want to get to.

As for Capacitive V Resistive screens, I'll leave that question to others more knowledgeable.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

EDIT - The Argos Outlet store has got a few refurb SatNavs also.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Ali and I will certaainly check the Argos store

I have just got back from town and was having a look round all the mobile phone shops and saw something that looked superb for use. It was called an android tablet. Surely one of these things would do ? I know they are expensive but they have sat nav, a phone, PC aplications for e-mail and internet access. The screen was a brilliant size. It has audio out socket and a SD card reader. What more could you need. Surely if one could get a suitable carrying bag velcroed to the bike one could use this device and have a whole load of other useful features when its off the bike ? Am I missing something here ? I have never heard of a tablet being used as a sat nav on a bike before.

I would really appreciate the thoughts of people who are experienced in this.

Thanks
Scott
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience here. I have an iPad and the very idea of sticking that up against my ear as a phone is quite amusing. Memories of Dom Jolly! So too would be the idea of trying to lay it on a bike tank somewhere.

If you're considering tablet, you have to start all over again asking for advice. Jack of all trades, master of which?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JimmyNorth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point DennisN.........Master of which ? A tablet is a joke of a phone but it has e-mail and internet and Tom Tom maps can go on them. They have voice direction, can take earplugs and a better screen than sat nav's as far as I can see. As long as its kept out of the elements and away from bike vibration I don't see where the problem is unless there is some inherent flaw in their sat nav ability or whatever.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: