Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Itouch and Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Itouch and Tom Tom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes the location services icon appears when in cradle or not.
But I did not know about it before. I'll make sure its 'on' when next out and about.

When you first launch a GPS enabled app you get asked if you wish to allow it to access Location Services. It's a privacy thing to allow you to control what can and cannot access your location.

Once switched ON it will stay that way unless you change it. You'll note there is an entry for every application that can use location data. Most common cause is users answering NO on first launch, and then wondering why it is not getting a fix Smile
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
iandee wrote:
Not iphone. iTOUCH

Yes, fully aware if that (although there is no such thing as an iTouch, it's an iPod Touch Wink
Quote:
I was not aware if the
Settings | General | Location Services and ensure CamerAlert was set to 'ON' at the time. , but its a good point to check when next trying, thanks.

You can check this easily enough, I'm not clear on whether Location Services options appear on an iPod Touch when no GPS cradle is present, do you have it to hand to see? If they are only present when a GPS is connected you should be able to power the Magellan cradle from a laptop using a USB cable.

Having used your suggestion of connecting the cradle to PC by USB, I did so and left it on my window sill. Eventually it found the GPS and lo and behold I have 2 Average and 3 mobiles listed and the blue GPS icon. ( Apparently I am also travelling between 0 & 9 miles per hour too!) Very Happy
It all appears to workinh now, I'll do a road test tommorrow.
Many thanks
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to advise that with your help and patience I now have the Camera Alert app fully working in my ipod touch. Very Happy
True it is not the full blown app that is seen on the iphone pictures, but then I knew that.
Using it in List mode, but withy the TomTom app loaded, it does perform as stated 'in the background with voice warnings and advices.
So I now have a very up to date, efficient, updateable speed camera warnings.

Thanks once again for your help with this. Clap
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
So I now have a very up to date, efficient, updateable speed camera warnings.

Clap

Update.
I would not recommend anyone buy the TomTom app for iPod Touch 4th Generation.
THis is because the car kit will not charge 'on the go' and therefore runs out after about 1 and half hours.
Eventually I have emails from Tom Tom as follows:-

I am sorry to confirm that the TomTom Car Kit for iPod Touch is not compatible with the 4th generation iPod Touch.

Our Development Team strives to keep all our accessories up to date on the market. However, the accessory you requested, has not been released yet.

When I asked why they sold an app that cannot be used properly they said

I am sorry to confirm that we do not control which applications are sold in the AppStore in any way. This is Apple's responsibility.

If you would like a refund please contact Apple, with whom the transaction took place.

I found that Apple have a no refund policy. Evil or Very Mad

Having been pleased with the TGomTom system it seems that I will need to replace my Garmin sp3 with a Tom Tom separate satnav, because I will not be spending another £70-80 for a car kit when/if it is produced.
However does anyone know which TomTom is similar to the app? I dont need bluetooth nor other non GPS stuff, but it must have the capability tgo have the PGPSW camera alerts
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having managed to get through to up Tom and apple, I have now received a fulll refund from Apple!
So will now be searching for a 'proper sat nav'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: