Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 40, 41, 42  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you coppied the ogg audio sound files to the map folder along with the png and ov2 files, if the answer is yes download and re-install the mapsettings.cfg file - Mike
A13x
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes map settings were copied back over and overwritten with latest timestamp. still no audio warnings, i can see display of poi just no audio at all
Frankman73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

In stead of screenshots all I see is dead frogs in icecubes. Could you post the different folders for the different files?

Thanks! Cheers, Frank

mikealder wrote:
Please note: This workaround is NOT supported by PocketGPSWorld. Our CamerAlert app is the supported solution for iPhone users. We cannot provide support for this workaround and you carry out the procedures detailed below at your own risk.

This Does not require a Jail Broken iPhone

To achieve this:

You will need:
  • DiskAid Application (Mac/PC)
  • The ZipFile containing the modified bitmaps and .ogg sound warnings. Updated for TomTom iPhone v1.9
  • PocketGPSWorld SpeedZoned UK Database in TomTom .ov2 format
Resource File Downloads
DiskAid
v1.9 Zip File (iPhone3G/3GS icons 22x22)
v1.9 Zip File (iPhone4 icons 44x44)

The installation is not difficult but you must follow the steps exactly as outlined below. Enjoy.

Note for devices that support apps running in the background such as iPhone4 Please ensure the TomTom app is NOT running in the background or you will experience problems getting the new mapsettings.cfg file to take effect. To shut the app down double click the round button on the front of your iPhone, if the TomTom icon appears at the bottom of the screen press and hold the icon until you can deselect it by pressing the red dot that appears over the icon.

First of all you will need to download an application for your computer called "DiskAid" which is available in both Windows and MAC variants from Here Its free to use in eval mode for 14 days, after which you need a licenced version which doesn't cost a great deal and opens up a wealth of posibilities for customisation of files on your iPhone.

With DiskAid installed to your PC the first step is to enable all the options in the user preferences. Launch the application and select DiskAid/ Preferences from the Toolbar and make sure all options are selected:

Shut down and then restart DiskAid as the required change will only take effect at the next start up of the program.

Download the Speed Zoned Database from this site in TomTom ov2 format and unzip the download to a folder on the PC, you only need to keep the ov2 files from this download as the icons and sound files are downloaded from this page instead as the normal icons don't work with the iPhone app.
The zip file download from near the top of this page contains all the icons that have been modified and ready to use within the iPhone app, also included is a set of spoken voice alerts and the mapsettings.cfg file

Connect your iPhone to the computer, iTunes isn't needed for the rest of this procedure so it can be shut down.

Launch DiskAid and locate the folder where the TomTom app resides, in this next screen shot it is for the UK & ROI app, if you have Western_Europe installed the folder name will differ:

Click the "Copy files to device" icon and go to the folder on your computer where the PGPSW speed camera files have been extracted to, browse to the folder on your computer containing all the PGPSW files (note only a small selection are shown in this screen capture):

Select all the files and click "Open" for them to transfer to the iPhone, this operation will have sent all the third party custom POI files to the correct folder on the iPhone, next we need to configure the POI warnings which isn't as easy as other TomTom products as there isn't a "Warn When Near POI" option available on the iPhone - Help is at hand though....

The new mapsettings.cfg is next, take care as to which folder you put this file in to as it must go in the exact folder as shown below, it does not go in the same folder as the POI files.

Your Home location will need changing after doing this and you will lose any recent destinations/ favourites but in use you get the full comprehensive coverage the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database offers including spoken alerts informing you of the approaching camera type and rated speed all without Jail Breaking your iPhone:

The above screen capture proves the iPhone app from TomTom also works with the X2 larger icon files, note this screen capture was from an earlier version, since V1,6 up to and including the current release (V1,9) the additional icon top left is no longer displayed.

A short video of it in action Here

Edit once to add video link - Mike Alder
Second Edit to add note re shutting TT app down before loading files
Third Edit to bring in line with V1,9 - Mike Alder
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I don't understand the issue you are having, all the pictures in the first post and your quote look fine to me, I can't see any frogs anywhere?
Frankman73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Frank, I don't understand the issue you are having, all the pictures in the first post and your quote look fine to me, I can't see any frogs anywhere?

Very strange! It says "Imageshack... Domain unregistered... to view, register at.....etc etc" with a picture of a frog in a cube. Anyways, by reading through all the threads, I figured out the two folders and copied the files... works like a charm! Thanks for this! I have been waiting for a solution for almost 2 years. Very happy Smile

Too bad (as already indicated by others) that the warnings only show up in a planned route.

Cheers,

Frank
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the issue from ImageShack not displaying pictures via the forum before, could it be your PC's security settings are blocking material from the site, certain company firewalls certainly block imageshack but its unusual for a home PC?

If you want warnings all the time including without a route then you need to create a new mapsettings.cfg file, the one provided in the download is there as an example of what can be acheived, customisation such as you request would require you to access a TomTom PND to create the file in the required format - Mike
Frankman73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Never heard of the issue from ImageShack not displaying pictures via the forum before, could it be your PC's security settings are blocking material from the site, certain company firewalls certainly block imageshack but its unusual for a home PC?

If you want warnings all the time including without a route then you need to create a new mapsettings.cfg file, the one provided in the download is there as an example of what can be acheived, customisation such as you request would require you to access a TomTom PND to create the file in the required format - Mike

Yep, I read that in the different threads. Something tells me that's not going to happen: I don't know what a TomTom PND is let alone how to access it or customize it or even how to create it in the required format Sad
greggery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: PGPSW Speed Camera Database on TomTom iPhone App Reply with quote

The post at

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-App-for-iPhone-iPad/Adding-POI-s-to-iPhone-App/td-p/6911

refers to instructions at

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=85133&start=0

I have attempted to follow these, however the folder structure in TT v1.9 on my iPhone 4S shown in DiskAid is different to the instructions, and is simply

UK - Ireland/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

which originally contained just two files:

mapsettings.cfg and MapUserPatch.dat

so following the existing instructions precisely is not possible. I retained the original map settings file which I renamed to mapsettings.cfg .old and placed the Pocket GPS World files into the

UK - Ireland/United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland folder.

N.B. after having placed the files in the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland folder, Speed Cameras is not an option in the POI Types in TT v1.9 as I would have anticipated.

I then went to Menu-Settings-Alerts which shows the first option as Speed Camera. I set this to ON and the Sounds option to a custom sound. When driving my first (and only) route subsequently, I did notice a couple of alerts for speed cameras but none since, so I’m not sure if the speed camera alerts are still working (though I assume they are).

I live in Somerset, and I assume that as there are no speed cameras currently in use in my area that that is the reason I can see no speed camera icons when I browse the TT map. But why am I not seeing any on the M25 when browsing the map?

My interpretation of the instructions and other posts about Custom POIs is that they can be imported (including in TT v1.9) using the method outlined, but I’m not sure if the Custom POIs will appear in the POI Types list in TT v1.9 yet this is fundamental to their use.

I've also tried this procedure without success

http://www.tomtomforums.com/t18780-how-add-custom-voices-pois-iphone-without-jailbreaking.html

Any thoughts please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ greggery, I am not too sure thats wrong with your set up as I have just looked at the folder paths using DiskAid connected to my iPhone4 and all the folder paths are exactly the same as the screen shots on page one of this thread.

There are no settings to be made on the iPhone within the TT app, all the settings are in the mapsettings.cfg file which is pre-configured.

Did you miss the bit about setting DiskAid to advanced mode in DiskAid/ Preferences Advanced tab then check "Show root paths for apps" once selected shut down DiskAid and restart the program for the changes to take effect.

When you load the files to the iPhone TT app make sure the app isn't running in the background otherwise the settings won't take effect.

You can try the following as a route demo to ensure the warnings are working correctly:

Advance Planning/ Postcode and use FY43NN, select "Kingsmede" number 95 for departure location.

Select "Postcode to set the destination to PR41AX, select unnamed road.

Fastest routs and departure date time can be left as displayed.

One its prepared a route hit the "Options" button followed by "Route Demo"

You will get a Gatso 30 warning followed by a mobile 30 warning within the first 60 seconds.

Custom POI files can indeed be added to the TT app, but the icon needs to be saved as a 24 bit colour depth png file rather than the more usual bmp icons, with an iPhone4/ 4S it's also better to enlarge the icon to make it easier to see on the map - Mike
bondi699
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have followed the instruction to install the speed cameras on my iphone 4 all cameras show up on the map but I dont receive the voice alert when I appproach the cameras.
I have copied the ogg png and ov2 files to the same folder on the iphone and replaced the mapsettings cfg file in the folder as shown.
Can the iphone work with ogg files?
please help
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bondi699 - At a guess when you loaded the mapsettings.cfg file to your iPhone the TomTom app was still running in the background? This leaves the old file in memory and overwrites the new mapsettings.cfg file when you close the app with the old data so you never get the warnings.

Double clcik the Home button on your iPhone, if the TomTom icon appears at the bottom of the screen (you might have to scroll through what's still open) simply tap and hold the icon until the red circle appears on the icon, tap it to close the app down fully. If you don't want to do the above turn the iPhone fully off then back on.

At this point simply re-load the mapsettings.cfg file in to the correct location - Mike
bondi699
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks
For the swift reply, I have TomTom Western Europe v1.9 and I followed the instruction as described after first closing down the app completely. This is something that I am aware of and I do regularly as I believe stopping apps that are running in the background speeds up the phone and extends the battery life.
I followed you recommendations and re placed the mapsettings.cfg any way.
I tried the route demo from your earlier post and the voice alerts worked.
However when I use the iPhone in the car speed cameras show on the map view but no voice alerts are given.
I have used Diskaid v5.09
So the layout of the folders in the left pane are slightly different to the one shown in the instruction screen shot.
The mapsettings.cfg file was copied to
Applications\W.Europe\Documents\Wester_Europe
There was only one other file in this folder named
Map UserPatch.dat

The ogg, png and ov2 files were copied to
Applications\W.Europe\WEurope.app\Western_Europe
This folder contained the same file as shown in the instruction screen shot and also several other files including
several files named Radar together with Blitzer_AT and Autovelox_IT
and one folder named brand
Examples
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_BE_TomTomOv2.ver
Any further assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you used the route demo you got spoken warnings, but usint locally you didn't?
A few reasons spring to mind:

1/ The on screen camera wasn't actually on your route.
2/ You were using the app without a route set (it will only warn with a route set)
3/ The on screen camera was a pMobile, the demo mapsettings.cfg file isn't set up to include pMobile cameras.

Any of the above ring true? - Mike
bondi699
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
Thanks for your continued help and patience.
Everything works now. I didn't realise that a route had to be set,
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I created the mapsettings,cfg demo file I had the option to "Warn ONLY if POI on Route" set, had I left this option unchecked you would get warnings without a route but I set the file up in the exact way I always use within the TomTom software so it does indeed require a route to be set for warnings to be active - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 28 of 42

Jump to: